MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringSt7

I don't think it would be "doom and gloom" to suggest that a men's lacrosse program that is facing a postseason ban in arguably the best D3 lacrosse conference in the country is going to be in for a bumpy road going forward.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: SpringSt7 on May 07, 2020, 04:27:31 PM
I don't think it would be "doom and gloom" to suggest that a men's lacrosse program that is facing a postseason ban in arguably the best D3 lacrosse conference in the country is going to be in for a bumpy road going forward.

Not at all. If that is what he is referencing ... that's simply the truth. He should know that lacrosse (both) is in my wheel house as well as basketball, soccer, and some other sports (even football, though not as much as the guys at D3football).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

Tim Sweeney continues his impressive recruiting haul at Conn, with another late addition, 6'9 big man Andrew Hartel.  Hartel was prep school teammates with Jarron Flynn, another big time recruit for Sweeney.

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/recruits/andrew-hartel-2020

Of Sweeney's five (at least) recruits, four are highly regarded players and three seem to have major long term upside.  Conn's future looks very interesting ...

grabtherim

You never know.  A few good recruits lead to more and then you may get a trend.  Things change.  Middlebury was never considered much of a basketball contender, a hockey school was the common phrase.  From 1998-2007 they played at a .476 clip, mediocre at best. A few guys come aboard, then a few more and the turn around over the next ten years from 2008-2017 was dramatic.  The team played to a .800 winning percentage over that time. 

Quote from: nescac1 on May 12, 2020, 08:21:18 AM
Tim Sweeney continues his impressive recruiting haul at Conn, with another late addition, 6'9 big man Andrew Hartel.  Hartel was prep school teammates with Jarron Flynn, another big time recruit for Sweeney.

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/recruits/andrew-hartel-2020

Of Sweeney's five (at least) recruits, four are highly regarded players and three seem to have major long term upside.  Conn's future looks very interesting ...

nescac1

Agreed with grabtherim.  And recall, Conn did make the Final Four twenty years ago.  One of only five Nescac teams to have done so.  With the right leadership, that school can attract good hoops talent. 

Looking ahead, I feel like Conn and Colby have been bringing in really strong talent of late.  I would not be surprised to see that pay (in Colby's case, continue to pay) big dividends in future years.  Williams looks loaded for the future as well, but I think the big three Williams/Amherst/Midd period of dominance is likely a thing of the past. 

Midd strangely has been a bit light on the recruiting front it seems, the last few years (outside of a star transfer).   But Jeff Brown always makes the most of his available talent, and I will never count his program out. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Just days before the start of the 2019-20 season, Glenn Robinson announced he was retiring from coaching. He was the first domino to fall. Since then, more than 4,000-wins have been taken out of the active record books thanks to the retirements of a number of the division's and sport's best coaches.

In what is the first of a two-part May Podcast, Dave chats with some of those who announced their retirements since the season ended. What drove them to the decision to walk away? What will they remember about their careers (many at a single institution)? And will they still be part of the game?

Guests include:
- Dave Hixon, Amherst men's coach (42 seasons, 826 wins)
- Ken DeWeese, Mary Hardin-Baylor men's coach (21 seasons, 400 wins)
- Carol LaHaye, Randolph-Macon women's coach (38 season, 647 wins)
- Grey Giovanine, Augustana men's coach (21 seasons, 433 wins)

Dave also has a brief idea of what is being discussed when it comes to the coronavirus and the challenges institutions face both on campus and with athletics. Plus, the Hoopsville Notebook has updates on moving the three-point line, Regional Realignment/Expansion, and even the Wild Williams World of Sports.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/2YVyRnU

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options in the right-hand panel.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

Updated list of NESCAC recruits:

Amherst:
Bobby Sommers, 6'3 G/F, St. Marks
Mohammad Alausa, 6'4 G/F, New Hampton

Bates:
Trace Gotham, 6'5 F, St. Sebastian's
Stephen Ward, 6'6 F, Beaver Country Day
Simon McCormick, 5'6 G, Cony H.S.

Bowdoin:
Burke Chebuha, 6'7 F, Walker H.S. (Marietta, GA)
Max Williams, 6'2 G, IMG Academy (Brandenton, Florida)

Colby:
David Basich, 6'0 G, Green Farms Academy
Henry Westrich, 6'4 G/F, Bangor
Liam O'Connell, 6'4 G, Brighton Academy (#16 in Maine)
Lucas Green, 6'5 F, Princeton Day (NJ)
Eric Baier, 6'3 G, Summit (NJ)
Clay Bolster, 6'1 G, Cushing Academy

Conn College:
Jarron Flynn, 6'3 G, Kimball Union Academy (#25 in NH)
Billy Whelan, 6'0 G, Williston Northampton
Nathan Rogers, 6'10 C, Bromfield (MA)
Andrew Hartel, 6'9 C, Kimball Union Academy (#21 in NH)
Ben Rice, 6'7 F, Whitman-Hanson (MA) (#35 in MA)

Hamilton:
Julius Nagin, 6'3 G, BB&N
Ryan Michaels, 6'6 F, Berkshire School

Middlebury:
David Brennan, 6'5 F, Roxbury Latin

Tufts:
Jay Dieterle, 6'4 G, Rivers School
Liam Murphy, 6'5 F, Wilbraham & Monson

Trinity:
Will Dorion, 6'1 G, Needham
Charlie Campbell, 6'2 G/F, Canterbury
Garrett Kirk, 6'2 G, Northfield Mount Herman
Sean Okpoebo, 6'4 G/F, Cushing Academy

Wesleyan:
Kiran Kling, 6'9 C, Maret (D.C.)
Olu Oladitan, 6'6 F, Brooks
Dylan Ward, 6'5 G, Williston Northampton

Williams:
Brandon Roughley, 6'8 F, Salisbury (#97 in New England, #38 in CT)
Noah Dinkins, 6'4 G, Andover (#39 in MA)
Declan Porter, 6'6 G/F, Exeter (#19 in NH)
Dan Lee, 6'1 PG, Dublin Jerome (OH)

Colby Hoops

Quote from: nescac1 on May 12, 2020, 06:52:47 PM
Agreed with grabtherim.  And recall, Conn did make the Final Four twenty years ago.  One of only five Nescac teams to have done so.  With the right leadership, that school can attract good hoops talent. 

Looking ahead, I feel like Conn and Colby have been bringing in really strong talent of late.  I would not be surprised to see that pay (in Colby's case, continue to pay) big dividends in future years.  Williams looks loaded for the future as well, but I think the big three Williams/Amherst/Midd period of dominance is likely a thing of the past. 

Midd strangely has been a bit light on the recruiting front it seems, the last few years (outside of a star transfer).   But Jeff Brown always makes the most of his available talent, and I will never count his program out.

If Conn makes strides in the coming years, it really changes the shape of the league. Obviously, it's very early and they've had talented young players before, so there's no guarantee that they turn things around. Conn (and Colby to a lesser extent) have been at or near the bottom of the league for the last decade or so. If Colby becomes a regular presence in the top half of the league and Conn improves (at a minimum they look to be improving from doormat status) that really changes the complexion of the league. Not that the big three are going anywhere, but just that the depth of solid teams grows quite a bit. Bowdoin is really the only team that seems to be heading in the wrong direction. Should be interesting.

SpringSt7

At the very least, it would help the league as a collective from a strength of schedule standpoint. We've talked about the geographic challenges to scheduling that are posed to teams like Middlebury, Colby, and the rest of the Maine schools---I can't imagine having a 4-20 on the schedule every year is helping either. Just 4 years ago Conn went 13-10 and 3-7 in the league, so a 10-3 non-conference record. If they can just get back to that level, that would be great for the league. Plus, it just kills the competitive balance in a 10 game conference schedule for each team to have a free win built in regardless. I'll definitely be pulling for Conn the next couple of years.

Speaking of the big three, it has now been over a month since the Hixon retirement was made official. If Amherst is operating on a normal, non-Corona affected time line, we should be hearing some news soon. The rest of the collegiate athletic landscape is seemingly hiring at the usual speed,  but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

daddyhoops

Very quiet on the Amherst search.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

With the number of significant retirements on the men's side of Division III basketball, there is plenty to talk about in the month of May. Thus, we needed a "Part 2" this month.

On this "Hoopsville Podcast: May Edition (Part 2)", we talk about what is arguably one of the most significant retirement classes of coaches in the history of Division III - especially on the men's side of things.

Pat Coleman, Ryan Scott, and Bob Quillman join Dave McHugh to chat about those who retired, the number of wins and the high-level of success they had, and even if trying to have a Mt. Rushmore of DIII coaching who might be considered (some coaches you may have forgotten about are mentioned).

Plus - if not for the number of significant retirements, the biggest news in Division III off-season so far would likely be Eric Bridgeland picking up and moving to Southern California. Bridgeland joins Dave to talk about his Whitman program, the success, and the decision to start anew at Redlands and the SCIAC.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/2zGESua

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options in the right-hand panel.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

SpringSt7

https://tuftsdaily.com/sports/2020/05/18/a-savage-desire-to-win-fulfilled/

A nice article on Tufts' Eric Savage, who you certainly had to feel for as the lone NESCAC senior who did not get to see his collegiate career end on the court. Tufts should certainly be loaded coming back next year, but I still feel as if Savage's departure is being overlooked because of the number of backcourt pieces they have returning. For me personally, he should've been Player of the Year in the NESCAC if they were giving it to someone on Tufts, with all due respect to Luke Rogers.

The article notes that Savage averaged 21-9-3 on 46% shooting in 3 NESCAC tournament games, including 27-12-6 in the championship game--not to mention the 40 foot bomb he splashed to send it to OT. Replacing that type of production will be really hard, I think it might have been mentioned more if there was any sort of Tufts presence on these boards.

nescac1

Adrian Watts, Middlebury recruit from Delaware.   Seems like a star football player but this noted that he is playing hoops:

https://twitter.com/sasdelaware/status/1263785643248963585?s=21

nescac1

List of NESCAC recruits (updated with final NERR rankings).  Just a heck of a first recruiting class for Conn's Tim Sweeney, especially considering he's selling guys on a program that hasn't won a league game in several seasons. 

Amherst:
Bobby Sommers, 6'3 G/F, St. Marks(#49 in MA)
Mohammad Alausa, 6'4 G/F, New Hampton (#142 in New England, #26 in NH)

Bates:
Trace Gotham, 6'5 F, St. Sebastian's (#58 in MA)
Stephen Ward, 6'6 F, Beaver Country Day
Simon McCormick, 5'6 G, Cony H.S.

Bowdoin:
Burke Chebuha, 6'7 F, Walker H.S. (Marietta, GA)
Max Williams, 6'2 G, IMG Academy (Brandenton, Florida)

Colby:
David Basich, 6'0 G, Green Farms Academy
Henry Westrich, 6'4 G/F, Bangor (#24 in Maine)
Liam O'Connell, 6'4 G, Brighton Academy (#17 in Maine)
Lucas Green, 6'5 F, Princeton Day (NJ)
Eric Baier, 6'3 G, Summit (NJ)
Clay Bolster, 6'1 G, Cushing Academy

Conn College:
Jarron Flynn, 6'3 G, Kimball Union Academy (#128 in New England, 24 in NH)
Billy Whelan, 6'0 G, Williston Northampton (#60 in MA)
Nathan Rogers, 6'10 C, Bromfield (MA)
Andrew Hartel, 6'9 C, Kimball Union Academy (#118 in New England, #21 in NH)
Ben Rice, 6'7 F, Whitman-Hanson (MA) (#106 in New England, #30 in MA)

Hamilton:
Julius Nagin, 6'3 G, BB&N
Ryan Michaels, 6'6 F, Berkshire School

Middlebury:
David Brennan, 6'5 F, Roxbury Latin
Adrian Watts, 6'4 F/G, St. Andrew's (DE)

Tufts:
Jay Dieterle, 6'4 G, Rivers School
Liam Murphy, 6'5 F, Wilbraham & Monson (#54 in MA)

Trinity:
Will Dorion, 6'1 G, Needham (#47 in MA)
Charlie Campbell, 6'2 G/F, Canterbury
Garrett Kirk, 6'2 G, Northfield Mount Herman
Sean Okpoebo, 6'4 G/F, Cushing Academy
Gilbert Otoo, 6'5 F, Perkiomen School (PA)

Wesleyan:
Kiran Kling, 6'9 C, Maret (D.C.)
Olu Oladitan, 6'6 F, Brooks (#56 in MA)
Dylan Ward, 6'5 G, Williston Northampton

Williams:
Brandon Roughley, 6'8 F, Salisbury (#103 in New England, #42 in CT)
Noah Dinkins, 6'4 G, Andover (#50 in MA)
Declan Porter, 6'6 G/F, Exeter (#116 in New England, #19 in NH)
Dan Lee, 6'1 PG, Dublin Jerome (OH)

ThumannsOwn

Any word on the Amherst search?