Atlantic Central Football Conference/Independents

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof06

anyone know anything about lagrange college and there team which is suppose to play there first game in 2006??

narch

don't know much about the fb team, but they usually have solid athletic programs...overall, the conference they play in (for sports other than football) isn't up to par with other south region conferences, and being an independent (at least initially) might make recruiting difficult - it will probably take them 3-5 years to be a team that can compete with the bottom 1/2 of a conference like the usasac - i understand they're pretty committed to fb, though - one of the mc assistants was a finalist for the lagrange hc job and was impressed with the school

theone

i dont think salisbury will be the same after losing so many key defensive players. i dont think b-port will be the same without DARNLEY. I honestly can't see either team beating a wesley team that welcomes back 18 starters form a team that got "screwed" from an ECAC bowl bid

njlincolnlion

I have to to agree with acfcposter's assessment.  The posting was very detailed in it's analysis.  I guess we can debate this thing all season long, however in the end it will be decided on the field between the two teams.

I still don't understand how Salisbury has lost "so many " defensive players?  Yes the Sea Gulls lost a tremendous leader in DeHaven, but as stated in a previous post, Westbrook and Fleming has and will maintain the defensive intensity.  The Offense with Johnson and Satchell is a monster.

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

theone

salisbury lost dehaven, sandora, myrtle, and chris barr. Those were the players on the team that were doing good for them (excluding westbrook and demming). Dehaven was the heart and sould of that defense. It will be hard to replace hime...just liike it will be hard for wesley to replace rocky myers. Can anyone name a corner in the conference who can shut down JON LANOUETTE?!?!? :o

luvapontiac

njlincolnlion

Luvapontiac:

I have no idea what "Karma" means?  Perhaps Pat can explain it to us.  I've been looking for you and Muhammad to help me out on this Salisbury/Wesley conversation.   

What do you think of the new format, and by the way welcome back?

Go Gulls    8)
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

luvapontiac

I think the core defensive unit Salisbury brings back that was very deep last year plus a great incoming freshman and transfer student squad will even out the players they lost to graduation. Sherman Woods says defensive tackle Artie Willette  should probably start as a true freshman and will be an immediate theat to any offense Salisbury plays. That along with a decent core of returning offensive players should balance Salisbury out with enough experience and depth to win some good ballgames. I am not saying they are the Mount Union Raiders or anything, but they should compete for the confernece title. I think Wesley is good, but I don't think they have the depth on defense to to keep schools with solid offenses from scoring. Wesley will have to score a lot of points to win their games...and with the offense they a putting on the field, that should not be a problem. Their weak spot is their defense. But again, it's college football where anything can happen!

acfcposter

Who is theis Artie Willett kid? What high school and area is he from? Also, isn't it a little bit early to put him in the starting lineup? I mean it is only a few days into camp, right?

theone

does anyone have an answer regarding my question about defending jon lanouette???

luvapontiac

Dude, any cornerback on any team who wishes to challenge him is going to stop him on many different occasions this season. He is talented, but he is certainly stopable. If he were not stopable then Wesley would certainly win every game this season.

I don't know too much about this Artie kid Coach Woods has been praising, all I heard is that he is probably going to start him as a true freshman because he has the talent to be a starter. You are correct, it is still early in the preseason. I am just going by what I heard the coach say about this young man.

acfcposter

Luv,
Thanks for the update. It sounds like Coach Wood really likes that kid. As far as who is going to defend/stop who in the ACFC this year, we have to talk about the most dominant offensive and defensive players in the league. These are Dustin Johnson (Salisbury) and Kevin Culbert (Frostburg). Dustin can impact a game more than anyone in this conference simply because he is a superior athlete and also because he has the ball in his hands every offensive play. With the big fullback that Salisbury has running up the middle, you have to pick your poison. There is no real way to stop Dustin, you only hope to limit the damage that he does. On the defensive side of the ball the most dominent player in the ACFC is Kevin Culbert. It seems that everyone forgot that he was an All American 2 years ago. He had a medical red shirt last season, but has come back bigger, stronger and faster. Unfortunately, Kevin will not get the credit he deserves because Frostburg will not win many games. If he played for a top 10 team, he would be a consensus All American.

DanSwan

They play Rhodes their first game.

Hawks88

According to their website, Rhodes is the first home game after going to Maryville for the first game.

classof06

i think i may try to play for them, i graduate this year and i am thinking about going there....