MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Quote from: hoopdreams on January 29, 2013, 11:12:43 PM
Deer antler spray?

Unfortunately it has some potentially serious side effects.....

sac

This list is Hope's average assist per game in a single-season.  Colton Overway is averaging 5.15 assists per game.

Assists average (minimum 20 games)

1. 5.8 - Joel Holstege (31 games) - 1997-98
  2. 5.7 - Joel Holstege (29 games) - 1996-97
  3. 5.5 - Todd Schuiling (24 games) - 1983-84
  4. 5.2 - Joel Holstege (32 games) - 1995-96
  5. 5.1 - Todd Schuiling (23 games) - 1982-83
  6. 5.0 - Todd Schuiling (24 games) - 1981-82
     5.0 - Ryan Klingler (26 games) - 1999-00
  8. 5.0 - David Krombeen (30 games) - 2010-11
  9. 4.6 - Colly Carlson (25 games) - 1990-91
10. 4.4 - Colly Carlson (25 games) - 1989-90

Todd Schuiling was before my time but I heard enough to know he was very good, I've seen all the others on this list.  If you can crack that list you're having one heck of a good season.

sac

Hope 67 Adrian 53
Snuggerud 24, Eidson 17,

Pretty good win.  Surprisingly a double-digit lead for a lot of the 2nd half.  Hope had 1 team turnover 30 minutes into the game.  Hope must have shot close to 50% in the 2nd half.

The 'Overway Effect', about 1,000 less people in DeVos than in a typical night.

sac

Trine 81 Alma 63

With a couple minutes left in the first half Alma led by 13, Trine outscored them 13-1 to pull within 1 at the break, by the 10 min mark of the second half Trine led by 16.  Rogers 33, Jackson 24 for Trine

Olivet 81 Kzoo 72

Comets hold off late 2nd half Kzoo rally.  Hill, Krum, Ellis and Small scored all but 2 of their points.  Hill returned to score 28.

oldknight

As often happens with good teams, you play most of the game more or less even with your opponent but put them away with one stretch of dominance. That's what Calvin did tonight, outscoring Albion 30-6 over the last ten minutes of the first half on their way to an 83-63 win. Bryan Powell was the fuel for Calvin's offense, played exceptionally well and led the Knights in scoring with 17 in 22 minutes. Calvin overcame an indifferent performance from Snikkers who seemed out of sorts, probably because he just couldn't get a call from the refs when he went to the hole, and then making only 1 of 4 when he did get to the charity stripe. Calvin shot very well hitting 60% from the floor and 57% from the arc and when Calvin does that, a team like Albion is going to struggle to stay in the game. I must say that the Brits are a better team when Hutton is on the floor. He's a gamer.

almcguirejr

I missed the game tonight but did catch the KVS post game interview.  He was not pleased with the defense.  He was pleased with their offense at times.  I believe he was alluding to the 23-4 run that occurred the last 7 minutes of the half.  The game was tied at 21 at that point and Calvin ended the half leading 44-25.  Bryan Powell had another good game tonight with 17 points.  Jordan Brink also with a good night with 14 points and 4 assists.  Calvin only 9-18 from the FT line tonight.

oldknight

Quote from: almcguirejr on January 30, 2013, 10:07:22 PM
I missed the game tonight but did catch the KVS post game interview.  He was not pleased with the defense. 

I'm assuming he's referring to the second half when Calvin gave up 38 points. But that was after the air went out of the balloon once Calvin blitzed Albion the last ten minutes of the first half and then coasted during stretches of the second 20 minutes. Other than a slow start on the offensive end, I didn't think there was much to bitch about when it came to how the Knights played the opening half as Calvin's defense repeatedly challenged would be scorers in the lane, blocking six shots and altering several others.

gohope

Quote from: sac on January 30, 2013, 09:04:12 PM
Hope 67 Adrian 53
Snuggerud 24, Eidson 17,

Pretty good win.  Surprisingly a double-digit lead for a lot of the 2nd half.  Hope had 1 team turnover 30 minutes into the game.  Hope must have shot close to 50% in the 2nd half.

The 'Overway Effect', about 1,000 less people in DeVos than in a typical night.

Weather I think may have been one factor, the other was that the DeVos was "SACless."  It's just not the same when a BB game is SACless!!!  :)

KnightSlappy

Quote from: oldknight on January 30, 2013, 10:46:12 PM
I missed the game tonight but did catch the KVS post game interview.  He was not pleased with the defense. 

I'm assuming he's referring to the second half when Calvin gave up 38 points. But that was after the air went out of the balloon once Calvin blitzed Albion the last ten minutes of the first half and then coasted during stretches of the second 20 minutes. Other than a slow start on the offensive end, I didn't think there was much to bitch about when it came to how the Knights played the opening half as Calvin's defense repeatedly challenged would be scorers in the lane, blocking six shots and altering several others.

Calvin allowed Albion's offense to operate at a 103 efficiency rating. The only other time Calvin's opponent had been above 100 this year was the Carthage loss (107).

goodknight

Quote from: KnightSlappy on January 31, 2013, 08:31:36 AM

Calvin allowed Albion's offense to operate at a 103 efficiency rating. The only other time Calvin's opponent had been above 100 this year was the Carthage loss (107).

I'll concur with OK in his observation that the Knights contested most of the Britons' shots in the first half.  In the second stanza, however, there were a LOT of good looks for Albion, and they buried 6 of 12 from behind the arc, and shot more than 54 percent from the field for the half.  The defensive effort was on auto-pilot for a good portion of  the second half.

sac

standings with +/-........+1 for road wins/-1 for home losses

Calvin          9-0        +5
Hope           7-2        +3
Trine           6-3         +1
Adrian          4-5         -1
Olivet          4-5         -1
Alma           3-6         -2
Kzoo           2-7         -2
Albion         1-8         -3

Home teams now 25-11

Saturday, February 2
Kalamazoo at Calvin, 3 p.m..
Albion at Hope, 3 p.m.
Adrian at Trine, 3 p.m.
Alma at Olivet, 3 p.m.

What's left

Adrian:    @Trine, OLIVET, @Alma, @Kzoo, ALBION
Albion:    @Hope, TRINE, KZOO, ALMA, @Adrian
Alma:      @Olivet, CALVIN, ADRIAN, @Albion, @Kzoo
Calvin:    KZOO, @Alma, @Hope, TRINE, OLIVET
Hope:     ALBION, @Kzoo, CALVIN, OLIVET, @Trine
Kzoo:     @Calvin, HOPE, @Albion, ADRIAN, ALMA
Olivet:    ALMA, @Adrian, TRINE, @Hope, @Calvin
Trine:     ADRIAN, @Albion, @Olivet, @Calvin, HOPE

Trine's win combined with Adrian's loss opens up a 2 game difference between the two.  Trine is now sitting in a really good position to make the tournament and could all but assure that with a win over Adrian on Saturday.  If Trine wins that one, there's a high probability Adrian ends up seeded no better than 4th which means a date with Calvin in the semi-final, fun!.  Trine would still need to win on the road at Olivet and Albion, but at the moment they hold a tie-breaker over Adrian with Adrian's loss to Olivet.  Adrian has the inside track for the 4th spot since they have no more games with Hope or Calvin, Olivet and Alma both have 2 of those remaining.  A win for Adrian Saturday over Trine would give them the inside track to the 3rd seed.

Alma faces pretty much a must win at Olivet on Saturday, a loss there wouldn't eliminate them but it would make it really difficult to reach the semi-final.  A win for Olivet would set up what would really be an elimination game for them with Adrian next Wed. 

oldknight

Mathematical models are useful, and I'm glad you do this stuff for us, but they have limitations. I'm curious about the efficiency ratings of each half played last night. Any chance you can break it down that way?

almcguirejr

I think your assumption is correct.  KVS talked about how hard Calvin played on each possession at Adrian and that didn't carry all the way through last night.  KVS mentioned he had to use 3 time outs in the second half to try and "motivate" his team to get the intensity level back to normal level.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: oldknight on January 31, 2013, 12:19:21 PM

Mathematical models are useful, and I'm glad you do this stuff for us, but they have limitations. I'm curious about the efficiency ratings of each half played last night. Any chance you can break it down that way?

83 in the first half and 127 in the second half.

I think that was part of KVS' point, that they were "scoreboard watchers" coming out of the break as Albion came out on a 17-7 run.

oldknight

I agree there was an element of "scoreboard watching" by Calvin players last night. Some people seated in the stands were doing the same thing, as we awaited the final score (but not the outcome). Calvin played hard on every possession against Adrian because every possession meant something in that game. That wasn't true last night. I don't mean to denigrate the importance of stressing to your team the value of playing each possession with the same passion; but these kids are human and you need to cut them just a little slack sometimes and be realistic about human behavior.

Makes me think that things are going well when we can bitch about a 20 point win over Albion.