BB: Regionals (New York) Auburn NY '08, SUNY-Old Westbury '09, Cortland State '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuba16

IC's gots its hands full with Ohio Wes. Ohio Wes beat Cortland 2 yrs ago in florida, different yr but you know they have a good program!

I think Matt Tone is the key for Cortland and although I have never been a proponent of saving your #1 in a 8 team double Elim setting, this might be the time to do just that if your Cortland! Use him in game 2 or the winners bracket final, he is lights out!
You have to figure by looking at you field, the easiest game is going to be game #1 so pick 1 Mahay, Blanco, Hooper, Rowlands, Assman to start game #1 and then Ratliff, Tone games 2 and 3!

Grove City might not be a pushover although they did split with Fredonia. Look at the stats, http://www2.gcc.edu/sports/Baseball/cumes08.htm
They have a kid hitting .447, 8 bombs, 49 ribs and 96 total bases! Looking like we better know where he is in the lineup if ur JB!
In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

EasternCtFan

scuba,

I understand not pitching your #1 vs grove  city but hey its fine with me if you want to save him and overlook ecsu/msu. Eastern plans on using fontaine vs. MSU. Im thinkng holowaty would have went with espo game 1 because of fontaine struggling against them earlier in the year but he threw about 140 pitches in the LEC tourney vs Keene.  The key for eastern will be Castillo, if he slumps like he did in the LEC tourney eastern is in trouble (please touch every base this weekend). Without Gilblair in the lineup he is there guy. I expect the starting pitching to hold up, bullpen worries me but i dont think they get their work because the starters are going deep in games and the closer is usally the next guy.

Day 1 predictions......?

pudge27

ECFan,
    I think it's safe to say that if Cortland does save their #1, you'd definitely see him in the 2nd game.  Cortland's got too much history with both programs to overlook either.  You don't have to go too far back for evidence of ECSU tinkling on Cortland's parade.

As for predictions, it should be a good regional.  I think that Cortland, Ithaca and RPI are all really good with strong pitching.  Can't say that I know too much about the other teams, other than their reputations.   I know nothing of Grove City.  Knowing that their record is very average makes me think that they are at least playing thier best ball of the year.  Hot teams are obviously dangerous, but the 8 team, double elim is really tough unless you've got a ton of arms. 

For Day 1, I think I'm going to go......Cortland, Ithaca, RPI, ECSU into the winner's bracket.  What can I say, I'm an upstate homer. 

Caz Bombers

I just went through the matchups and stats for the first time; might it not be a good idea for Grove City to save its ace Herringshaw for the second game; GCC has the biggest drop off from ace to rest of rotation among the teams and since Cortland will probably rock them anyway why put all eggs in one basket.

Looks like every team in this group can rake, should be some great late-inning rallies.  Many of these teams have strong bullpens but looks like OWU's may be the weakest.  Their top two starters have a combined 14 CG so maybe their coach is silently agreeing, eh?

As a Bomber fan I would hope it plays out that IC can knock the OWU starter out, hit that bullpen, have Farmingdale's ace Heeman beat RPI and then take my chances against their #2 or #3 guy.  Perhaps in the meantime someone will have managed to stop the Cortland juggernaut although I'm not holding my breath.

ECSUalum

Guys,

Cortland State has had a fantastic program for sooo many years!!  While i will obviously be rooting for ECSU ( we are the Evil Empire on the LEC board), I really would like to see Cortland state do well in the regional, and sort of hope its their year to take home the trophy.

Do me a big favor, Give Keily and the BANTAMS thier first loss

Best of luck to the Red Dragons

BaseB13

My take is this.  IC got a little screwed with the 2 seed.  RPI with the 3 seed actually has a significantly better match up.  No knock to any of the programs in the regional but Farmingdale and Grove City are average at best.  Cortland and RPI should not start their #1's in either of these games.  Farmingdale's schedule is incredibly soft and Grove City's team ERA is close to 6 and also played a very soft schedule.    RPI and Cortland should have no issues with these teams and I would not be surprised if both put up double digit runs.  (However, you never know what can happen, back in 2005 Rhode Island, a .500 ball club came in and almost stung Cortland in game one losing a 1 run heart breaker). Despite that, I still believe neither team needs to throw their #1.   Back to Ithaca, do not be surprised if OW wins this game.  OW beat Divison 1 Ohio University this year along with solid programs such as Wooster, UW Stevens Point,  and Denison.   IC should definitely throw Sottung.   If they do, they should be ok, doesn't seem like OW has a super dominant number one who strikes a lot of guys out. However, if I'm IC I wouldn't be too happy with RPI getting the easy draw as the 3 seed.  Not too sure what the heck the regional committee was thinking with this seeding.  As for Montclair and ECSU, should be a battle and I have no idea who will win.  Looking forward to hearing some of the games tomorrow while in the office.  Good luck to all teams and thanks to John McGraw for broadcasting out of Auburn.

ECSUalum

Montclair 8 ECSU 7 on 8th inning 3R HR

scuba16

As far as who Cortland starts game 2, I guess you have to look at who threw the 2 games for Cortland vs Montclair. Low and Behold, Travis Ratliff threw game 1, 6.0 innings to get the W and Matt Tone threw 5.0 innings to get the W in game 2!
These are Cortland's 1,2 and thats who they have ready to go regional game 2!

I guess if your JB, you have to go with the guy who matches up the best with Monty's lineup or who looked the best vs them the 1st go around.

Having not seen Monty, I guess if the have a few good Lefty sticks and/or some speed I throw Tone to nullify the Lefty batters and the speed!
If the are slow and Righty dominant, I may throw Ratliff depending on how he looked the first time he threw vs Monty!

I guess you can't go wrong, but if you spin Ratliff game 2 and lose, you have to either throw Tone in a losers bracket game or save him and you might be out of the regional tournament having not thrown your ace and look like a big douche-bag!

Good money is on Tone Throwing game 2 for the reasons directly above!

BaseB13

I'd agree Scuba.  Cortland should throw their best tomorrow.  Then if needed, depending on how many pitches he has thrown, if there was an emergency on Sunday and they needed him, he'd be on two days rest which is better than one.  Cortland put up double digits as I expected.  We'll see if RPI follows suit.

BaseB13

RPI squeaks by Farmingdale without throwing Zongol.  Maybe they should have.  Looks like their defense wasnt too strong with 4 errors.  Klein started and threw alright.  I would have thought he would have mowed them down.  I had not realized Dreimiller had struggled so much this year, he had thrown pretty good for RPI last year I thought.  Late start for the IC/OWU game.  Should be a battle.

scuba16

Cortland up 6-0 on Monty top 7! JB started Tone as expected!

ecfaninri

EConn  wins 10-5 ...Nice job by Esposito today to get Eastern back on track. Three real good outings in a row  Nice to see Gilblair and Castillo heating up.

scuba16

Cortland 9-2 W, Awaits the winner of RPI-Ohio Weslyan.
Zongol will be tough to beat for RPI but OW has seen some guys just as good! Should be a good 1.
Ratliff tommorow for Cortland in the winners bracket Finals!
GO C-State

scuba16

IC is out and wolf didn't pitch. Was he hurt?

StarvinMarvin

He's not hurt, they just gambled by figuring their only shot was to try and eek past montclair and save wolf for later.  wolf should have thrown game one in my opinion, he's better than sottung who's fried from being overused his entire career.  who starts three games in a regional like sottung did last year?  good pitcher but was abused by virtue of a lack of depth.  i would have started gardner eventhough that isn't his conventional role.  gotta wonder what coach val and staff is thinking at times.  i hate to say it because i respect the guy but he makes some head-scratching moves!