MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

6 SUNYAC teams in action for Nov. 25

Not much time so here's some quick picks.

Brockport State @  Manhattanville        4:00 PM

The Golden Eagles are favored by 9 and they should cover the spread. Brockport wins this one 76-66

Mount St. Mary  @    New Paltz State        5:00 PM

I'm not picking the Hawks until they prove to me they can win a game. They are 2 point underdogs here at home. That means they'll probably lose 74-69.

Clarkson @ Oswego State    5:30 PM

The Golden Knights will keep this one close but they won't win it. The Lakers are favored by 3 but they will win it by 7 points, 70-63.

Geneseo State   @ Morrisville State        7:00 PM

The Knights could be undefeated if they had went to Gordon Lyons in the closing seconds in their 1st game against Wilmington instead of hoisting up a 3 pointer that didn't go down. They will go to him tonight early and often. Knights are favored by 6 points. I think they win by 16 or more. Geneseo 80 Morrisville 63.

Buffalo State  @  Hobart        7:00 PM

These teams are 2-2 in their past 4 meetings since 2008-09. Last year the Statesmen beat the Bengals in Buffalo by an 85-83 score. The Bengals won the matchup in Hobart 2 years ago, 80-74. They also played each other back in 08-09, and 09-10 with each team winning at home. So tonight is the 5th meeting in the past 9 years and will give the winner a leg up in the series. The point spread has Hobart favored by a 7 point margin. I think that the Bengals may sneak out of Bristol Gym with a win tonight though, by a score of something like 82-77. I think Hobart has lost more off their team from last year than the Bengals lost from their team. It should be a good game.   

Oneonta State     @   St. John Fisher        7:00 PM

The Red Dragons pulled off the upset at Williams a week ago but I think they will be hard pressed to do the same thing tonight. Fisher should be the team to beat in the E8 this year. Oneonta will keep it close though and an upset isn't impossible. I'm just not picking it as these Cardinals, a 4 point favorite, walk off with a 4 point win. 77-73

magicman

The first final score of the day is in and the result isn't pretty. Brockport State gets outscored by a 13-3 margin over the final 5 minutes of the game and falls to Manhattanville 56-54. Up 54-50 with with 2:28 left on the clock the Golden Eagles fail to score again and Manhattanville  ties the game on a pair of free throws with 1:12 left. Both teams misfired on their next possession, first Brockport and then the Valiants, leaving the Eagles with the ball and 16 ticks left. Unfortunately Brockport turned it over with 6 seconds left and the Valiants hit a buzzer beater as the clock expired to claim the win.

Aaron White with 15 points and Clifton Lyerly with 14 were the leading scorers for Brockport. The Eagles fall to 1-3 and won't be back in action until December 3rd when they participate in the Wendy's classic.   

magicman

A Bad Day in Black Rock for the SUNYAC. It may be the worst day in 3 years as YAC teams went 1-5 on Tuesday and 3 of those losses were YAC  teams that were favored to win. Here are the scores

Brockport State 54 Manhattanville  56

Geneseo State 72   Morrisville  State 74

Buffalo State 46  Hobart 56

Oswego State 54  Clarkson 60

Oneonta State 72  St. John Fisher 83

New Paltz State 74  Mount St. Mary 57

thebear

Quote from: magicman on November 26, 2014, 02:55:05 AM
A Bad Day in Black Rock for the SUNYAC. It may be the worst day in 3 years as YAC teams went 1-5 on Tuesday and 3 of those losses were YAC  teams that were favored to win. Here are the scores

Brockport State 54 Manhattanville  56

Geneseo State 72   Morrisville  State 74

Buffalo State 46  Hobart 56

Oswego State 54  Clarkson 60

Oneonta State 72  St. John Fisher 83

New Paltz State 74  Mount St. Mary 57

Have to admit the Geneseo Morrisville score is a shocker.  Morrisville only returns one player for last year's excellent club and Clarkson handled them pretty easily.  And when's the last time a Buffalo State team scored 46? 
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

magicman

A new D3hoops Top 25 is out and the only team from the East Region with a sniff is Rochester with 1 point in the Others Receiving Votes category. We may not see an East Region team in the Top 25 the entire year. :(

Here is the link to the new poll: http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/index

Bengalsrule

Quote from: thebear on November 26, 2014, 07:39:27 AM
Have to admit the Geneseo Morrisville score is a shocker.  Morrisville only returns one player for last year's excellent club and Clarkson handled them pretty easily.  And when's the last time a Buffalo State team scored 46?

Cant find 46 anywhere , however in 2007..

University at Buffalo (Exhib.) FRI NOV 2, 2007
UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO (EXHIB.)
BUFFALO, NY
L 48-113

Horrible feeling at the game last night. Took 8 more shots than Hobart 569/61 and made 1 more 22/21. However they made 8  3's to our 1 and we went 1 of 11 from the free throw line. Gotta get it together before Cortland next weekend. I believe that we shall!

Go BENGALS!!!

Bengalsrule

I'm thankful for those guys/gals who post on these boards.  More so now, than ever.

During football season I spent a little time on the E8 football boards ( where buff state football resides). Some of those posters have got to be the most classless individuals in America. They rip their opponents before games I.e. " this game vs"  conference opponent  "is gonna be like a scrimmage. Should beat em by 50 or more". And the name calling amongst some if these guys is even worse. On a couple of occasions, I'd swear that, if some of these guys could meet each other, there would be a fight!

I'm glad that guys like thebear, Franelia, Dcahill,  Magicman and others don't pollute our boards with that type of B.S.  And on a day like to today, I just wanna say "Thanks" to you guys for being who you are.

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!!!!! :)

Ps. I  still want the BENGALS to win though ;)

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 27, 2014, 11:41:56 AM
I'm thankful for those guys/gals who post on these boards.  More so now, than ever.

During football season I spent a little time on the E8 football boards ( where buff state football resides). Some of those posters have got to be the most classless individuals in America. They rip their opponents before games I.e. " this game vs"  conference opponent  "is gonna be like a scrimmage. Should beat em by 50 or more". And the name calling amongst some if these guys is even worse. On a couple of occasions, I'd swear that, if some of these guys could meet each other, there would be a fight!

I'm glad that guys like thebear, Franelia, Dcahill,  Magicman and others don't pollute our boards with that type of B.S.  And on a day like to today, I just wanna say "Thanks" to you guys for being who you are.

We may have a small group of regulars but at least we have respect for each other. That's always the most important thing.

Happy Thanksgiving folks. I hope the rest of the holiday season, right on through the New Year and beyond, brings good health, good luck, good weather and the good life to everyone.

PS: I still want the Bengals to win as well. Just not on January 10th and January 30th. ;D

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 27, 2014, 02:10:17 PM
Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 27, 2014, 11:41:56 AM

We may have a small group of regulars but at least we have respect for each other. That's always the most important thing.

Happy Thanksgiving folks. I hope the rest of the holiday season, right on through the New Year and beyond, brings good health, good luck, good weather and the good life to everyone.

PS: I still want the Bengals to win as well. Just not on January 10th and January 30th. ;D

How can you not  like the Magicman?? ;D ;) :)

magicman

D3hoops Team of the Week was released and the guy with the best stat lines in the country (other than the Grinell player) for his 2 games, Gordon Lyons, is nowhere to be found. Hard to believe he wasn't nominated by his school, but that has to be the case....Or D3hoops missed the boat big time. The thing about Lyons though, is his stats will be so good this year, that he could make the Team of the Week, every week.   

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

magicman

Quote from: magicman on November 28, 2014, 05:17:15 AM
D3hoops Team of the Week was released and the guy with the best stat lines in the country (other than the Grinell player) for his 2 games, Gordon Lyons, is nowhere to be found. Hard to believe he wasn't nominated by his school, but that has to be the case....Or D3hoops missed the boat big time. The thing about Lyons though, is his stats will be so good this year, that he could make the Team of the Week, every week.

Thanks Pat. I was hoping you'd see my post and comment. It just amazes me that a player can have such an outstanding week and someone at the school can't take 5 minutes to give the guy a chance to get some national recognition. :o This isn't the first time it's happened. I'm sure it won't be the last. :P

I realize it's impossible for D3hoops to know how every player performed from every D3 school each week to compile their Team of the Week. That's why a player has to be nominated, I assume.

It's too bad posters such as hopefan with the SLIAC, nescac1 with the NESCAC, TitanQ with the CCIW, 7express with the LEC, or myself with the SUNYAC to name just a few, can't go to a specific site and post information that will be acceptable by you, to compile these special awards. Most conferences have 1 or more posters that consistently report accurate facts and statistics that would help you considerably. You could even designate these posters to specifically do this job for their respective conferences. I'm sure most of these guys would step forward if asked and for some of the conferences that don't have a person like a hopefan...well perhaps this would encourage someone to become that person...all of which would benefit D3hoops, in the long run, and would certainly benefit numerous players such as Gordon Lyons, to get the recognition they deserve.

I remember a comment you made several years ago. Something to the effect of... the more eyes we have on the topic the better off we will be...referring to posters in numbers checking out and commenting on the topic. (And I can't remember what the topic was, it may have been NCAA rule related) I think the same type of logic in some limited form might work with these special awards as well. 

Just a thought that I hope you consider.       

Pat Coleman

There's a couple problems with that -- first of all, fans don't have the box score game file to upload (and I can't give you access to upload it, even if you did). We will not accept nominations without the official stats uploaded, and since timely box scores are valuable to us, this is something we want to push.

Secondly, we want and need SIDs to participate. This is a collective, like the Associated Press. Schools put information in and get coverage out of it. If we just had schools fish and they do not fish for themselves, then Gordon Mann and I are stuck punching in missing scores for a team all season. The SUNYAC (and the East Region in general) is a big hole for us in those terms and the more time we spend handing out fish, the less time we can spend on the important strategic things we need to do to elevate our coverage and the sites across the board.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

magicman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 28, 2014, 01:51:28 PM
There's a couple problems with that -- first of all, fans don't have the box score game file to upload (and I can't give you access to upload it, even if you did). We will not accept nominations without the official stats uploaded, and since timely box scores are valuable to us, this is something we want to push.

Secondly, we want and need SIDs to participate. This is a collective, like the Associated Press. Schools put information in and get coverage out of it. If we just had schools fish and they do not fish for themselves, then Gordon Mann and I are stuck punching in missing scores for a team all season. The SUNYAC (and the East Region in general) is a big hole for us in those terms and the more time we spend handing out fish, the less time we can spend on the important strategic things we need to do to elevate our coverage and the sites across the board.

Just wishing and hoping....never expecting (sighs deeply) :(

amh63

Magicman...."Just wishing and hoping.."    Sounds like good lyrics for a song! :)