FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRMUalum13

Quote from: zipmac22 on April 16, 2018, 08:43:06 PM
I'm scratching my head here...what could bring this kind kind punishment for a first violation in 20 years of the program? My hat off to Coach Fred, he has accepted sole ownership of the infractions. Coach Fred is by far one of the few coaches that stands head and shoulders above all the other coaches!

It was a self imposed punishment.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bports on April 16, 2018, 09:00:59 PM
Major infractions !! I'm guessing some type of post season ban . One year ?

Most infractions don't actually come with postseason bans.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Toby Taff

as i said on FB, We're talking about a man that has held team leaders out in very important games for violating team rules. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me. It would not surprise me at all if he was the one who offered up the suspension.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Toby Taff on April 17, 2018, 01:21:09 AM
as i said on FB, We're talking about a man that has held team leaders out in very important games for violating team rules. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me. It would not surprise me at all if he was the one who offered up the suspension.

Agreed.  I'm sure this violation was unintentional. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

MUC57

I, and everyone in Raider Nation, have the greatest respect for UMHB and Coach Fredenberg. That includes Mount players, coaches, and fans. I hope people don't crazy with this story like they did with our situation involving our QB Fulford. Let's give credit to the fact that this was self-reported. This is, after all, not Mickey Mouse College. This is UMHB, a proud institution and a respected institution. No smears, no bad jokes, no innuendos. Let's all hope this get's worked out so the athletes can continue their quest for excellence.
You are the Raiders competitor but also part of the Dlll family. Good luck and the best to you as you go forward.
Pardon the ramblings of an old guy! Go Raiders and go Cru!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Bartman

Speaking from experience(In 2011, Hobart football self reported an alums financial assistance for 2 unrecruited football team members in 2006 and 2007, which the coaching staff had no knowledge of and were very angry at the alum for doing so), despite the self reporting and lack of the Hobart coaches knowledge, the 2 years where the athletes participated in the program were wiped from the records and there was a fine. Self reporting  and imposition of institutional punishment does not absolve MHB and their coaching staff from the NCAA's long reach, although self reporting should soften the blow , especially with a 3 month suspension without pay . Depending on the facts, an NCAA playoff ban is still possible, as innocent as the motivation may have been.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

The report was from 2011 but the players involved were in the 2006 & 07 seasons.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

merlecanlas

Quote from: Bartman on April 17, 2018, 02:18:01 PM
Speaking from experience(Ten years ago, Hobart football self reported an alums financial assistance for 2 unrecruited football team members, which the coaching staff had no knowledge of and were very angry at the alum for doing so), despite the self reporting and lack of the Hobart coaches knowledge, the 2 years where the athletes participated in the program were wiped from the records and there was a fine. Self reporting  and imposition of institutional punishment does not absolve MHB and their coaching staff from the NCAA's long reach, although self reporting should soften the blow , especially with a 3 month suspension without pay . Depending on the facts, an NCAA playoff ban is still possible, as innocent as the motivation may have been.

so 3 months without salary = keeping the '16 title?

MUC57

merlecanlas

Come on, Merle. Read my earlier post. We don't know the circumstances surrounding this situation. Let's get more info before we rush to judgement. I came to praise UMHB, not bury them. Go Cru!

merlecanlas

Quote from: MUC57 on April 17, 2018, 03:06:41 PM

merlecanlas

Come on, Merle. Read my earlier post. We don't know the circumstances surrounding this situation. Let's get more info before we rush to judgement. I came to praise UMHB, not bury them. Go Cru!

praise them for cheating?  admittedly

how much salary is Coach Pete forfeiting because "he is such a good guy"?

MUC57

Merle

I'm not going to go back and forth on this board like you and Frank Rossi on the OAC board. I give.
I'll let the UMHB faithful deal with you. Bye!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah - no one should assume the following:

- The self reported violation had anything to do with the '16 season. That is conjecture at best... or wishful thinking. The violation could have been during last season, could have been in the spring, could have been six years ago and just popped up. Who know.
- The suspension automatically means anything. As noted, UMHB self-reported which in the eyes of the NCAA (and I am talking about the DIII Committee of Infractions and thus the division, not Indianapolis), that is appreciated. It is those who don't self-report and then fight it off that seem to take the biggest beating (i.e. Thomas More women's basketball; Baruch, TCNJ women's basketball, etc.). That said, a suspension of that significance for what the school calls a "major violation" does make you think the NCAA at least looks down badly on whatever the violation is. UMHB is clearly trying to stave off anything worse (i.e. what UWSP has done TWICE to try and appease the NCAA).

Someone made reference to the UWSP case as well... they are two difference beasts. Trust me, no one wants the UWSP case to still be going on ... but it is still going on for a lot of complicated reasons. However, it would be foolish to assume that because that case is taking a long time that this case will do the same. You cannot draw parallels in terms of time and outcome blindly. TCNJ's case was different than Baruch's which was different than TMC's which has proven to be different than UWSP's. Too many variables involved. For all we know, UMHB's case could be done before the season starts and UWSP's could still be going on.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D3viewer

"There was no effort to hide or deny the conduct which resulted in extra benefits to student-athletes, and the benefits were not provided with an intention to obtain either a recruiting advantage or competitive advantage," the school said.

Then why don't they say specifically what the violation is/was ? What's the big secret ?

txtiger1

I APPLAUD UMHB and the coach for having the GUTS to commit this infraction, AND tell people they made it! No doubt it was a MORAL infraction of the highest regard, and should be praised for its nuance and contribution to the greater good! Although we do not have any information whatsoever regarding the nature of this infraction, we can only assume that it was something along the lines of feeding a starving student-athlete.

merlecanlas

Quote from: txtiger1 on April 17, 2018, 06:45:22 PM
I APPLAUD UMHB and the coach for having the GUTS to commit this infraction, AND tell people they made it! No doubt it was a MORAL infraction of the highest regard, and should be praised for its nuance and contribution to the greater good! Although we do not have any information whatsoever regarding the nature of this infraction, we can only assume that it was something along the lines of feeding a starving student-athlete.

preach!