FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: D3viewer on April 17, 2018, 06:07:11 PM
"There was no effort to hide or deny the conduct which resulted in extra benefits to student-athletes, and the benefits were not provided with an intention to obtain either a recruiting advantage or competitive advantage," the school said.

Then why don't they say specifically what the violation is/was ? What's the big secret ?
If one has ever been in a situation where an infraction, misdemeanor, felony, civil suit, or legal proceeding is occurring, it is customary to withhold the details of the case until the case is heard.  This applies to anyone who has had experience as the one who is being investigated, the one who is "prosecuting" the case, the one who is defending the case or the one who is in charge of holding the evidence, depositions or other aspects of the case, at any level.

I do not expect to hear the details until the appropriate people have handled the case..

Bartman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 17, 2018, 09:34:00 PM
"There was no effort to hide or deny the conduct which resulted in extra benefits to student-athletes, and the benefits were not provided with an intention to obtain either a recruiting advantage or competitive advantage," the school said.

Then why don't they say specifically what the violation is/was ? What's the big secret ?
If one has ever been in a situation where an infraction, misdemeanor, felony, civil suit, or legal proceeding is occurring, it is customary to withhold the details of the case until the case is heard.  This applies to anyone who has had experience as the one who is being investigated, the one who is "prosecuting" the case, the one who is defending the case or the one who is in charge of holding the evidence, depositions or other aspects of the case, at any level.

I do not expect to hear the details until the appropriate people have handled the case..
An intelligent assessment...we will know in time when the NCAA is finished evaluating the circumstances.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Toby Taff

i tried to post earlier, but the pic was too big. if you search for major questions nfraction, you can find a ncaa slide show that explains what constitutes a major infraction at the D2 and D3 level. a major infraction can be multiple secondary infractions, which are defined in rule 19.02.2.1

Quote19.02.2.1 Violation, Secondary.  A secondary violation is a violation that is isolated or inadvertent in nature, provides or is intended to provide only a minimal recruiting, competitive or other advantage and does not include any significant recruiting inducement or extra impermissible benefit (including, but not limited to, an extra benefit, recruiting inducement, preferential treatment or financial aid).  Multiple secondary violations by a member institution may collectively be considered as a major violation.

what we know from the release is that there were multiple students involved. so if what was reported is accurate, this could be a matter of multiple secondary infractions reported as a major infraction. We also know we won't know anything until the AA speaks.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Too this point... the NCAA Bylaws (especially in DIII) do not allow an ongoing case to be discussed. Some schools take that to the extreme, but really depending on how the case was started. In this case since they self-reported, I am sure they are being ultra quiet until the case is finished. In others where someone else reported a school (i.e. UWSP MBB), some of that information could already become public without the entire case being discussed.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

merlecanlas

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 18, 2018, 01:39:46 PM

Too this point... the NCAA Bylaws (especially in DIII) do not allow an ongoing case to be discussed. Some schools take that to the extreme, but really depending on how the case was started. In this case since they self-reported, I am sure they are being ultra quiet until the case is finished. In others where someone else reported a school (i.e. UWSP MBB), some of that information could already become public without the entire case being discussed.

good ol' Coach Pete done just helped out a couple of players.  Whats the big deal? 

yessir

Just out of curiosity...what happened in the past that would lead someone to assume that UMHB cheated? I'm just curious why people are assuming the worst in this situation? Every article that I've read clearly states that the infraction resulted in no competitive advantage.  Am I missing something...or is your assumptions based on hatred and jealousy?
Walking on thin ice cuz someone lost......again.

merlecanlas

Quote from: yessir on April 18, 2018, 02:56:36 PM
Just out of curiosity...what happened in the past that would lead someone to assume that UMHB cheated? I'm just curious why people are assuming the worst in this situation? Every article that I've read clearly states that the infraction resulted in no competitive advantage.  Am I missing something...or is your assumptions based on hatred and jealousy?

dagnabbit!  I say, I say extra benefits would generally lead to a competitive advantage in most cases

yessir

All press releases say otherwise. What past occurrences make you think any different?

MUC57

yessir

You have to know with whom you"'re dealing. Merle marches to the beat of a different drummer. I don't presume to speak for anyone but myself, but look on page 1315, post 19715. I'm fairly certain other people share my view. Many people have issues with Merle. It's an ongoing thing. ☠😬
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

UMHB03

Quote from: MUC57 on April 19, 2018, 09:38:13 AM

yessir

You have to know with whom you"'re dealing. Merle marches to the beat of a different drummer. I don't presume to speak for anyone but myself, but look on page 1315, post 19715. I'm fairly certain other people share my view. Many people have issues with Merle. It's an ongoing thing. ☠😬
Yep. As they say, don't feed the troll.
2016, 2018, and 2021 D3 Football National Champions

Toby Taff

yessir,

nice to see you pop in. the people I have seen acting like coach Fred cheated are from rival schools. I posted what I did earlier to point out that there's a wide range that constitutes a major infraction. i also wanted to point out there is. a difference between D1 and the other divisions. most of us think of the major violations that occurred in our lifetimes at D1 schools when we hear major infraction. I'm not sure the average person knows or will research the difference. honestly other than the compliance office at a school (maybe) the staff may not know.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

MUC57

Toby Taff

When UMHB plays HSU, who do your kids root for? I'm just avoiding the other discussion.
Thank you for your attention to this issue. I AM old and get mixed up and forget things!
Good luck to the Cru.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: MUC57 on April 19, 2018, 11:29:40 AM

Toby Taff

When UMHB plays HSU, who do your kids root for? I'm just avoiding the other discussion.
Thank you for your attention to this issue. I AM old and get mixed up and forget things!
Good luck to the Cru.
They root for the team in the purple jerseys!   ;)

MUC57

Ralph Turner

Thanks for the info. I thought they might root for the team in the white jerseys. I appreciate the help.

yessir

I've seen Merle's antics...C- trolling at best.  Without previous knowledge of an infraction of some sorts...I'm not sure how someone in good conscience can assume that UMHB cheats...unless they are jealous or a hater.  It is not logical for UMHB to self report, open themselves up for scrutiny, and then make false statements to the media regarding the issue that they self reported about.  The truth is going to come out...why falsify the details and make the fallout worse? They would be better off not giving any details at all.  I would think that its better to be a cheat...than a liar and a cheat. I was just curious if I was missing something...