BB: Regionals (South) Danville '08, Salisbury '09, Methodist '10, Rhodes '11

Started by A.G., May 10, 2008, 07:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.G.

Moderator's note -- Here is the merged message boards of the Regionals for the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons.

I saw where there is some lively discussion in the West forum with the tournament as a separate topic.  Hopefully, once the field is announced on Sunday/Monday, we can get some good discussion and some breakdown on teams here, too.  

From reading the Pool C and South region posts, it appears likely (in spite of the lively debates between the MU and NCWC faithful) that the teams will line up like this:
Salisbury
Lynchburg
Piedmont
Emory
CNU
R-MC

A.G.

If anyone has a link to a South Regional Tournament website, please post it.  I know the USAS and ODAC are "co-hosts", but I have found nothing on either website about the tournament.

A.G.

Here are your teams:
Hosted by USA South and Old Dominion, Danville, Virginia
1. Salisbury (38-2)
2. Johns Hopkins (34-5)
3. Piedmont (33-12)
4. Lynchburg (30-11)
5. Christopher Newport (28-12)
6. Randolph-Macon (25-15)
http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2008/05/09/5273/2008-playoff-central.html

narch

Quote from: A.G. on May 12, 2008, 05:31:04 AM
Here are your teams:
Hosted by USA South and Old Dominion, Danville, Virginia
1. Salisbury (38-2)
2. Johns Hopkins (34-5)
3. Piedmont (33-12)
4. Lynchburg (30-11)
5. Christopher Newport (28-12)
6. Randolph-Macon (25-15)
http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2008/05/09/5273/2008-playoff-central.html
the winner of that regional will earn it...good luck to cnu, lc and rmc

vabaseball

Yep, the south is one tough field...

A.G.

To me, the most intriguing match-up is the JHU-CNU game...
...one of the most explosive offenses in D3 against one of the best pitchers in Moreland.

vabaseball

This will be the first ever meeting between Johns Hopkins and CNU.

bluejayfan

As a Hopkins fan, looking forward to a tough regional. Besides Moreland what can Christopher Newport Bring to that game?

Lou_Brown

I must say Emory not getting in was a little bit of a shock...if there are two games which probably costs them:

1) The tie against Methodist..

2) The Loss at Oglethorpe...tough, tough loss.

A.G.

Quote from: Rikki_Tikki_Tavi on May 12, 2008, 11:42:36 AM
Here is the link to the regional site.

http://www.usasouth.net/features/08NCAARegMain.htm

Thanks!  Hope they can do the webcasts...the group that did the USAS Tourney did a great job with it.

narch

Quote from: bluejayfan on May 12, 2008, 11:19:59 AM
As a Hopkins fan, looking forward to a tough regional. Besides Moreland what can Christopher Newport Bring to that game?
that's probably all they'll need...he's that good, but for good measure, they'll throw in ss trae bailey who hit .449 with 10 hr, 60 rbi and 8 sb...he's a big game, hitter, too

here are my predictions in this region...
salisbury, cnu, lynchburg win games 1, 2 &3

hopkins will beat rmc in game 4, salisbury will beat piedmont in game 5 and lynchburg will beat cnu in game 6

game 7 will be ssu over lc, game 8 will see cnu eliminated by jhu, game 9 will see hopkins eliminate their second team of the day as they beat the hornets and game 10 will crown salisbury champions

or i could be wrong :)

narch

Quote from: Lou_Brown on May 12, 2008, 01:51:39 PM
I must say Emory not getting in was a little bit of a shock...if there are two games which probably costs them:

1) The tie against Methodist..

2) The Loss at Oglethorpe...tough, tough loss.
i would say the following games hurt emory much more than the tie vs. mu (28-15-1/.647)

loss to millsaps (29-18/.617)
loss to case western (13-29-1/.314)
loss to washu (15-14/.517)
loss to brandeis (19-19/.500)
loss to rhodes (28-15/.651)
loss to oglethorpe (which you mentioned...13-29/.309)
loss to udallas (19-17-1/.527)

if all other things are equal, a loss hurts more than a tie, and all but rhodes had a lower winning % than the monarchs (meaning, all other things WEREN'T equal) - all but the oglethorpe, case western and washu losses came at home, as well, which can't help in the eyes of the committee - that tie against mu actually counts as 1/2 of a win against a regionally ranked team...no way it hurt them

the losses above and the fact that the only real "wow" wins for the eagles were against depauw and mu were what kept me short of calling emory an absolute lock the last few weeks (although i did think they'd get in)

piedmont (twice), cnu (twice) and lynchburg (once) proved that losing to the monarchs would not preclude a team from getting a pool b or c bid :)

EnFuego

I am absolutely shocked that Emory didn't get in.  All the numbers seemed to favor them getting the final pool B bid.  It is frustrating that we will not be able to see The Eagles try and defend their South Region crown.  We need to move to a field of 64 as soon as possible as this format is absolutely ridiculous. 

bluejayfan

Narch,
Will be interested to see Trae Bailey and of course Moreland. JHU will bring a couple of pretty good hitters of their own into the match-up. Will be interested to see if we get an offensive game or two dominating pitching performances.