FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Prediction:   Kalamazoo and Alma are going to regret kicking off at 4 pm.

Weather still saying just a 50% of showers at 4pm in Olivet, so they may get some luck and get a dry day.

Jameswys

I agree with winners (unfortunately! I'd rather see OC win tomorrow obviously) but I think the score for Trine is off. Trine wins by at least 40, they are non-victorious because of scheduling as much as skill.
Olivet '05

DBQ1965

Quote from: sac on October 25, 2019, 10:29:07 PM
Prediction:   Kalamazoo and Alma are going to regret kicking off at 4 pm.

Weather still saying just a 50% of showers at 4pm in Olivet, so they may get some luck and get a dry day.

The forecast this morning says rain starting around 1 p.m.  Crap!
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

DBQ1965

My very brief analysis (less is more) of the Hope-Olivet game.  Cold ... windy ... and then rainy.  The first half belonged to Hope (14-0) in the face of the tenacity of Olivet.  The Comets showed more than just tenacity in the  3rd quarter and maybe even outplayed the Flying Dutchmen but without scoring.  At the beginning of the 4th quarter Olivet got back in the game (14-7) and fans were hopeful.  Comet defense had some good stands giving the offense its opportunities, but alas, Hope had the edge athletically and punctuated the victory with a late 4th quarter score finishing at 21-7.  I have  observed the MIAA (or for that matter D3 football) long enough to know anything can happen, but the inside track to the  MIAA title and a spot in the playoffs seems to be in Hope's hands and I think Coach Stursma will keep the pressure on.  As I used to say in my former professionals, "Here endeth the lesson."

formerd3db

Just returned from Olivet about an hour ago.  The rain held off until the start of the 3rd quarter, light drizzle, then continuous moderate rain for the remainder of the game, just enough to make it unpleasant for those sitting in the stands.  However, I don't think most of those in attendance for either team minded because the game was fairly close as I suspected.  Hope's offense was somewhat off today other than Ogle and some good runs by our RBs. However, as Coach Stuursma said after the game, it was truly a team win as both the defense and offense stepped up at different times in the game when the other was off.  I was surprised at the smaller size of Olivet's offense, much smaller than they have been in the past 10 years or so.  Yet, when down by 14, they battled back and nearly tied the game towards the end of the 4th when they had it down in the redzone, but a penalty and then a sac bashed that attempt.  Hope intercepted a pass at the end with the ball 1st and goal to goal, simply ran out the time rather than score since the game was decided (so no running up the score here! :)  I was disappointed in the attendance today as I thought it would be a full stadium since it was potentially the determining game for the championship.  Stands about 3/4 full, yet probably the weather reports and actual weather had much to do with that, but it did not have any effect on the game. Kicking game and special teams (except for a missed PAT) were exceptional today. A good turnout by Hope fans, though, as usual.  Olivet is not a bad team, they just didn't quite have it today.

Obviously, Hope is the determiner of its fate now as they should win out, however, with Adrian and Alma still left (and occasionally we've had some challenges down at Kalamazoo), certainly no let up can be in the picture at all.  If Hope wins out the remainder, it will make the season opening loss to Millikin all that more of a "stinger."  But...again, that doesn't matter as you have to win your conference to get the Automatic Bid.

Thoughts by others on the other games today?

P.S. Jameswys-sorry I missed you.  After visiting in the Press Box with your SID and announcers, I got tied up with our staff and after the game, everyone dispersed quickly due to the rain. 

P.S.S. DBQ1965-were you at the game today?

P.S.S.S. sac-for sure, I think they will slightly regretful in having the kickoff for 4 p.m.  Do you know what the reason was? 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

DBQ1965

Quote from: formerd3db on October 26, 2019, 07:51:14 PM
Just returned from Olivet about an hour ago.  The rain held off until the start of the 3rd quarter, light drizzle, then continuous moderate rain for the remainder of the game, just enough to make it unpleasant for those sitting in the stands.  However, I don't think most of those in attendance for either team minded because the game was fairly close as I suspected.  Hope's offense was somewhat off today other than Ogle and some good runs by our RBs. However, as Coach Stuursma said after the game, it was truly a team win as both the defense and offense stepped up at different times in the game when the other was off.  I was surprised at the smaller size of Olivet's offense, much smaller than they have been in the past 10 years or so.  Yet, when down by 14, they battled back and nearly tied the game towards the end of the 4th when they had it down in the redzone, but a penalty and then a sac bashed that attempt.  Hope intercepted a pass at the end with the ball 1st and goal to goal, simply ran out the time rather than score since the game was decided (so no running up the score here! :)  I was disappointed in the attendance today as I thought it would be a full stadium since it was potentially the determining game for the championship.  Stands about 3/4 full, yet probably the weather reports and actual weather had much to do with that, but it did not have any effect on the game. Kicking game and special teams (except for a missed PAT) were exceptional today. A good turnout by Hope fans, though, as usual.  Olivet is not a bad team, they just didn't quite have it today.

Obviously, Hope is the determiner of its fate now as they should win out, however, with Adrian and Alma still left (and occasionally we've had some challenges down at Kalamazoo), certainly no let up can be in the picture at all.  If Hope wins out the remainder, it will make the season opening loss to Millikin all that more of a "stinger."  But...again, that doesn't matter as you have to win your conference to get the Automatic Bid.

Thoughts by others on the other games today?

P.S. Jameswys-sorry I missed you.  After visiting in the Press Box with your SID and announcers, I got tied up with our staff and after the game, everyone dispersed quickly due to the rain. 

P.S.S. DBQ1965-were you at the game today?

P.S.S.S. sac-for sure, I think they will slightly regretful in having the kickoff for 4 p.m.  Do you know what the reason was?

I was there.  I've had that date on my calendar since I first saw the MIAA schedule (was I prescient?).  Not even the weather forecast could keep me away

Jameswys

No worries I figured you got tied up. The weather was bad and the first quarter seemed like Olivet would lose by 30 but needed up keeping it close. For those that didn't see the game the final score was essentially 14-7. The final Hope touchdown came around of two minutes to go after Olivet turned it over in downs inside the 20. Olivet couldn't punt in that situation but if they had it would have been 14-7. Overall it was a great MIAA contest.
Olivet '05

Jameswys

Oh and let me be the first to congratulate the 2019 MIAA football champs, Hope College!
Olivet '05

formerd3db

Jameswys:

Agree with you on both counts.  It basically was a 14-7 game and really a great, classic MIAA contest.  BTW, thanks for the early congrats, although, as a former defensive player, I have always had this built in "cautiously optimistic" defensive attitude and cannot quite make my own declarations about that yet! :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Flying Dutch Fan

Really early to be congratulating anyone IMHO.  Just ask Wisconsin about looking ahead (losing to the Illini).  We are 4 games into a 7 game league schedule - just past the halfway mark.  Focus, focus, focus...
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Jameswys

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on October 28, 2019, 08:07:32 AM
Really early to be congratulating anyone IMHO.  Just ask Wisconsin about looking ahead (losing to the Illini).  We are 4 games into a 7 game league schedule - just past the halfway mark.  Focus, focus, focus...

Yeah, I'd prefer that Hope skips the focus, and loses a few.
Olivet '05

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Jameswys on October 28, 2019, 08:09:24 AM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on October 28, 2019, 08:07:32 AM

Yeah, I'd prefer that Hope skips the focus, and loses a few.

I'm sure you would and I would too if our situations were reversed. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

waxx

Can't say I expected Adrian to win, but am happy with the result. Great job Bulldogs. Looks like Kzoo hung in there with Hope the first half.

sac

Congrats to the Flying Dutchmen.  Its been coming.

formerd3db

Quote from: sac on November 10, 2019, 11:17:41 AM
Congrats to the Flying Dutchmen.  Its been coming.

Yes, congrats to them. After two 8-2 seasons that were frustrating in not winning the title, they have worked hard to achieve that this year. I hope there is no letdown Saturday against Adrian as it would be great to go into the playoffs at 9-1 for obvious reasons. However, our team will have to play better in these next two games. 

An interesting tangent is that Aurora, who we beat, has the same scenario as Hope, in that they have won their conference and secured the Automatic Bid to the playoffs, but have to win this last game for the outright title.

Also, unfortunately, the great weather we had at Kalamazoo College last Saturday is long gone! It is projected to be very cold these next two weekends.🥶 Anyway, GO HOPE!🙂