MBB: Colonial States Athletic Conference

Started by Coach C, April 08, 2005, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heatlee

You have a rookie, meaning first year as a head coach, who is on campus part-time.  You had a veteran coach with close to 500 wins and considered by many to be one of the top coaches in Division III with 4 NAIA tournament appearances in a row and numerous NCAA tournament appearances, and on campus full-time.

Isn't the answer obvious that men's basketball is not a priority.  You bring in a rookie and make him part-time.  You are not putting a priority on the succes of the men's basketball team.

How many Carbini coaches are on campus?  One or two, if their lucky.  Compare that to FDU-Florham which is also Division III who including assistant coaches has 12 on campus.  That is a school that supports athletics.

Cavs33

You also must take into consideration jobs available on campus when hiring a new coach, nobody knows if there are any positions available to make the coach full time or even if he wants to be full time. I dont think its fair for anyone to judge when they dont know the facts.

Pat Coleman

"You also must take into consideration jobs available on campus"

Oddly enough, a school that cares about basketball does this as a matter of course and makes sure it has the position available.  

"or even if he wants to be full time"

I hope you're not saying he doesn't want to be full time. I think most coaches have more dedication than that.

I don't think you're going to win this argument. While it's good that someone is still willing to spin the positive side for Cabrini, it's just spin. There aren't any real positives here.

I wish the new coach luck. He's stepping into a situation where the deck is stacked against him.

Cavs33

Possible situation:

(a) Have an off campus job, make double the salary of the full time position cabrini is offering, and coach basketball

(b) Have an on campus job, make half your current salary, and coach basketball

Would you choose to be on full time on campus for half the salary when you can still coach the basketball team?

Cavs33

NEW POSITION AVAILABLE IN CABRINI ATHLETIC OFFICE:

CABRINI IS NOW TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR A FULL TIME SPORTS INFORMATION DIRECTOR.  

MAYBE THE NEW COACH WILL BE FULL TIME AFTER ALL

Pat Coleman

Cavs, re your 11:38 post, then that person shouldn't be a head coach at the college level. The position requires more than that.

Coach C

Cavs33 -

I am not saying anything about the guy coaching the team.  Heck, I remember him as a player and thought he was a good kid.  The USMMA teams always did well while he was there.  

What I am saying is that a great carpenter is only as good as his tools and materials.  You guys are good tools.  Very good tools.  The materials that Cabrini gives the man to work with are another story entirely.  You don't have a full tiem head coach.  You dont have an administration committedd to winning.  You don't have someone on campus during the week to represent your interests as a whole to the administration.  You don't have a full time guy with 5 part time guys out recruiting and scouting.  

Heck, even other teams in the middling conference you are in have more than Cabrini has now.  

It's sad.  Very sad.  As a guy who was there the day the conference was founded, I am very disappointed that one of the founding members has chosen to LESSEN its support of college athletics.  The players and their families, the alumni annd the students deserve FAR better.

hoopzwiz

Lets get things started in here.
Can anyone in the PAC beat Alvernia this year?

Coach C

hoopzwiz -

My guess is that the fight at the top of this league could be pretty tight this year.  Alvernia is the team to beat, but GMC has experience despite losing Gaye.  Neumann would seem to be next.  Eastern will be improved.  Cabrini is anyone's guess.  After that, the league gets weak fast.

hoopzwiz

I agree but don't count out Wesley, very athletic team with a new coach.  They should be as talented as anyone.  Marywood will also be even more improved over last year.  That coach is doing a good job.

Coach C

hoopzwiz -

Wesley is always interesting becasue they are able to get pretty much anyone in and it's a long ride fro everyone in the league to make down there.  First year head coaches tend to struggle a bit though.  Marywood, well 11-15 is a good place to work from, and the program has progressed in the last few years.  The guard play is pretty good, but I am not sure they have the depth or athleticism to compete for the PAC title.

hoopzwiz

I heard Gwynedd has another huge kid in to take the place of Gaye.  Any info out there?

Coach C

Gaye was way more than just a huge kid.  He had good hands and really could run the floor.  Over his career he developed a solid defensive game.  Anyone that GMC gets in will likely pale in comparison.

hoopzwiz

Pre-season rankings are out:
1. Alvernia
2. Gwynedd
3. Eastern
4. Wesley
5. Misericordia
6. Cabrini
7. Neumann
8. Marywood
9. Arcadia
10. Immaculata

Alvernia is the clear favorite with Gwynedd right behind. 
Should be interesting 3 thru 8.

Coach C

I am pretty sure that those represent the highest ever pre-season rankings for Eastern and Wesley, as well as the lowest for Cabrini.

C