FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

About a week old at this point, but Chris Monfiletto has stepped down at Kenyon.  This feels like a best for all involved situation and I hope Coach Monfiletto has success wherever his next stop may be. 

On the Kenyon end of things, this is a really late time to transition and it'll be interesting to see who ends up taking over there.  Given the amount of time these searches typically take, we'll probably find out in about a month or so. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Dr. Acula

Rough timing for recruiting.  If the next HC isn't a current Kenyon assistant who has already been recruiting kids I can't imagine this bodes well for their 2019 class.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 25, 2019, 11:53:16 AM
Rough timing for recruiting.  If the next HC isn't a current Kenyon assistant who has already been recruiting kids I can't imagine this bodes well for their 2019 class.

I mean, Kenyon is 0 for their last 26.  It's not like there's a bunch of momentum that needs to be salvaged with expediency here.  I think they're better off taking their time and getting the best possible person for that job, even if it means some sacrifice on the incoming 2019 class. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Dr. Acula

I didn't realize they were that bad.  Geez. 

SaintsFAN

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 23, 2019, 02:06:29 PM
The Bowdoin Polar Bears play on *checks notes* Whittier Field.  You can't make this stuff up.

Brunswick is 2 hours north of Boston, Wally.... you can take the Acela to Boston South Station or the American Shuttle into Logan -- I'll scoop you and provide transportation to Brunswick.

I'm really curious to see what drew him to that school.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Bishopleftiesdad

Update on an old OWU QB. Mason Espinosa is playing in the NAL, for the Columbus Lions. It looks like hs is doing very well.
http://columbuslions.net/team/roster/index.html?player_id=2
"Espinosa is the current NAL Offensive Player of the Year, as well as the first-team All-NAL quarterback selection in 2018. Espinosa will enter the 2019 NAL season as the league's all-time leader in passing yards, total offensive yards, passing touchdowns, and total offensive touchdowns. "

cave2bens

Congrats to the Cookeville Flash (Mason E. and not the former coach of the TX Longhorns  ;)) - definitely a better place and location than as a recent grad assistant at Defiance.
"Forever more as in days of yore Their deeds be noble and grand"

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: SaintsFAN on February 26, 2019, 07:00:16 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on January 23, 2019, 02:06:29 PM
The Bowdoin Polar Bears play on *checks notes* Whittier Field.  You can't make this stuff up.

Brunswick is 2 hours north of Boston, Wally.... you can take the Acela to Boston South Station or the American Shuttle into Logan -- I'll scoop you and provide transportation to Brunswick.

I'm really curious to see what drew him to that school.

Maybe he is a big fan of Civil War great Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain?
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 28, 2019, 01:21:38 PM
Update on an old OWU QB. Mason Espinosa is playing in the NAL, for the Columbus Lions. It looks like hs is doing very well.
http://columbuslions.net/team/roster/index.html?player_id=2
"Espinosa is the current NAL Offensive Player of the Year, as well as the first-team All-NAL quarterback selection in 2018. Espinosa will enter the 2019 NAL season as the league's all-time leader in passing yards, total offensive yards, passing touchdowns, and total offensive touchdowns. "

Mason has moved up to the AFL.
Mason Espinosa, Quarterback

Though he may be a rookie to the AFL, Mason Espinosa brings plenty of indoor football experience to the Empire. Espinosa played his college ball at Ohio Wesleyan where he was a four-time All-NCAC selection and Conference Player of the Year in 2012. He holds numerous school and Conference records including career passing yards (11,069), and total yards (10,839). After college, Espinosa had partaken in various Pro Days with NFL teams, as well as, a minicamp with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Shortly after his stint in the NFL, the quarterback joined the Erie Explosion of the Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL). He jumped from the American Indoor Football League, to the IFL before landing in the National Arena League with the Columbus Lions in 2017 and remaining there for the past two seasons.
http://thealbanyempire.com/news/story/?id=14012

ADL70

Quote from: wally_wabash on February 25, 2019, 12:45:59 PM

I mean, Kenyon is 0 for their last 26.  It's not like there's a bunch of momentum that needs to be salvaged with expediency here.  I think they're better off taking their time and getting the best possible person for that job, even if it means some sacrifice on the incoming 2019 class.

Former CWRU RB James Rosenbury new HC at Kenyon.

https://athletics.kenyon.edu/news/2019/4/5/rosenbury-hired-to-lead-lords-football.aspx

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: ADL70 on April 06, 2019, 03:31:19 PM

https://athletics.kenyon.edu/news/2019/4/5/rosenbury-hired-to-lead-lords-football.aspx

Nothing to remind me that I'm getting older like seeing guys that I played against in college getting head-coaching jobs (Rosenbury at Kenyon following DiDonato at Grove City...)
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

wally_wabash

Here's a look at the NCAC non-conference games this September.  Some are continuations of existing home and homes.  Some are new (and interesting!). 

Allegheny - @RPI (stiff test for a new staff against a 2018 national quarterfinalist)
Denison - vs. ONU (really interesting heat check for the Big Red in the post-Gebele world)
DePauw - @Central
Hiram - vs. Marietta (don't know when this game got scheduled, but this was probably more attractive before last year's Marietta breakout)
Kenyon - @Catholic (nice interregional game here...location fits Kenyon's national recruiting situation as well)
Oberlin - vs. Kalamazoo
OWU - vs. Otterbein
Wabash - @UWSP
Witt - @W&J (strong opener for Witt...last time these two played Zach Jenkins threw 8 INTs in the 2014 playoff opener and W&J rolled)
Wooster - vs. Bluffton

SaintsFAN

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on April 06, 2019, 09:01:03 PM
Quote from: ADL70 on April 06, 2019, 03:31:19 PM

Nothing to remind me that I'm getting older like seeing guys that I played against in college getting head-coaching jobs (Rosenbury at Kenyon following DiDonato at Grove City...)

Sheeitttt, bro.  Welcome to the club.  Started happening long ago for me.   :-\
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

bashtownie

Looks like has Raeburn landed in the Offensive Coordinator job at DII Gannon University in Erie, PA.

https://gannonsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1004&path=football

sigma one

Wabash has posted its 2019 pre-season roster: 133 total.  It looks like 46 freshmen and a couple transfers.  A name that jumps out is Marsh, a transfer from Miami, Ohio, who was first team Indiana all-state several years ago.  I think all those who were expected to return are on the roster.  Reid is back at QB.  Avant and James are experienced RB.  Both have been all-conference.  James is coming off a serious knee injury sustained in last year's second game, so it will be interesting to see whether he can return to the form he showed two years ago.  The offensive line has good depth.  Jones will be a threat at WR.  He is a two-time All-American in the 110 meter hurdles.  There are holes to fill at the other receiving slots.  The defense could be a real strength.  The core of the DL returns, plus Marsh.  Three of the top four linebackers return, and all four of the starting D Backs from 2018.
     I notice that Oberlin has also posted its 2019 roster, including first-years.  Sixteen new players for the Yoemen, and a total of 45 on the roster.  I continue to be impressed with what Oberlin does with such a small group and hope they can be competitive this year.  They have not been winning many games, but they are spirited and tough in the face of long odds.  The roster shows only one returning and one new RB.  And only five returning and one new OLmen.  That's really thin. 
     I'm sure other rosters will begin to flesh out through July.  As they do, I will try to pay attention and post up to date information.