MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

voxelmhurst

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 18, 2020, 12:34:50 PM
Massey sez:

@ Elmhurst 76, Carroll 66 (EC 83%, CU 17%)
@ North Central 75, Carthage 65 (NCC 83%, CC 17%)
Illinois Wesleyan 82, @ North Park 67 (IWU 91%, NPU 9%)
@ Wheaton 77, Millikin 62 (WC 92%, MU 8%)

Uh, can Elmhurst begin denouncing the Massey predictions?   ;D :'( ;D

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (15-8, 9-5) at North Park (4-19, 2-12), Wednesday 2/19, 7:00pm...

Illinois Wesleyan (15-8, 9-5)
G - Pete Lambesis, 6-4/195 So.  11.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.0 apg
G - Keondre Schumacher, 5-11/175 So.  12.2 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 2.0 apg
F - Doug Wallen, 6-5/210 Jr.  11.2 ppg, 5.8 rpg
F - Charlie Bair, 6-7/220 Jr.  9.0 ppg, 8.4 rpg
F - Matt Leritz, 6-7/235 So.   8.7 ppg, 4.6 rpg
---------
G - Cory Noe, 6-2/175 So.  7.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg

North Park (4-19, 2-12)
G - Izaiah Sanders, 5-11/165 Jr.  8.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg
G - Toby Marek, 6-1/180 Jr.  14.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.9 apg
F - Adam Bulwa, 6-5/190 Fr.  3.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg
F - Matt Szuba, 6-6/210 Jr.  6.0 ppg, 6.3 rpg
F - Karl Polk Jr., 6-6/210 Fr.  11.0 ppg, 5.6 rpg
--------
G - Lawrence Pointer, 5-9/150 Jr.  6.4 ppg

Links
IWU Notes - https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/iwusports.com/documents/2020/2/17/Game24_NorthPark.pdf

Video - https://boxcast.tv/channel/mkfk0h71h07ygfgcyby1

Live stats - http://sidearmstats.com/nparku/mbball/xlive.htm?path=mbball

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 18, 2020, 12:34:50 PM
Massey sez:

@ Elmhurst 76, Carroll 66 (EC 83%, CU 17%)
@ North Central 75, Carthage 65 (NCC 83%, CC 17%)
Illinois Wesleyan 82, @ North Park 67 (IWU 91%, NPU 9%)
@ Wheaton 77, Millikin 62 (WC 92%, MU 8%)

I told myself on Monday I was going to use the Massey predictions to try and figure out odds for who was going to finish where. It was fine up until I got to the #3 seed, then the math started getting wonky and my head started to hurt, so I took that as a sign to stop. I'll probably try to build it out for Saturday's games, since then I don't have to start figuring out what the odds of teams splitting two games are and there's way fewer variables.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

lmitzel

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 19, 2020, 01:13:22 PM
Week 2's Regional Rankings are out: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/02/men-regional-rankings-second
Quote from: Titan Q on February 18, 2020, 07:20:49 AM
Quote from: Titan Q on February 17, 2020, 07:03:40 PM
I think...

1 Platteville (A)
2 Wash U (C)
3 North Central (A)
4 St. Norbert (A)
5 Eau Claire (C)
6 Oshkosh (C)
7 La Crosse (C)
8 Augustana (C)
Thinking about this a little more, I think BU probably edges out Augie in spot #8 -- BU won at NCC, Augie was swept by NCC.  I think that will be the difference.

1 Platteville (A)
2 Wash U (C)
3 North Central (A)
4 St. Norbert (A)
5 Eau Claire (C)
6 Oshkosh (C)
7 La Crosse (C)
8 Benedictine (A)

A thought -- if NCC ends up as the only ranked CCIW team in the final two polls*, that would do a lot of damage to NCC's overall resume.  It would take away a bunch of potential RRO.  For example, based on what I have above, NCC would be 0-2 vs RRO...and that aint good. 

"* Results versus ranked Division III teams as established by the final ranking and the ranking preceding the final ranking."
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/basketball/d3/men/2019-20D3MBB_PreChampsManual.pdf

With NCC 4 and Elmhurst 5, the damage actually isn't too bad, though that'll put their vRRO at 2-2 next week, which I can live with.
#THREEEEEEEEE

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

SNC getting crushed for losing to BenU that first game of the season.  Every game counts.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Eau Claire goes 2-0 and drops out. Benedictine goes 1-1 and doesn't move. Wow. And Elmhurst moves up after losing.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 19, 2020, 01:27:40 PM
Eau Claire goes 2-0 and drops out. Benedictine goes 1-1 and doesn't move. Wow. And Elmhurst moves up after losing.

Remember:
- the committees start from scratch. They don't consider anyone moving up or down because they don't start with the previous rankings and go from there. They start with a clean slate and start positioning everyone.
- last week's results certainly count as they go into the full resume, but the full resume is looked at and there is nothing that says "what happened last week is to be considered."
- vRRO data ALWAYS shakes things up. Someone's resume can be bolstered or hurt with that.
- Also, SOS data is constantly changing. A team might have an edge in that category last week and lose that edge because their SOS numbers went down and someone else's went up.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Viking Mike

Ouch!.. Appears Augie just got buried in the regional rankings.  Those close non-conference losses to Oshkosh, Lacrosse, and Wash U early on in the year appear to be looming large in regard to 
            their NCAA tourney hopes.

I'm figuring 2-6 against RRO has them in 9th or 10th slot (behind Eau-Claire)

They have such a strong SOS and will likely finish 2nd in the CCIW.  How realistic is it that Augie gets an invite w/o winning the CCIW Tourney?  I'm thinking even 1 loss by any of the teams ahead of them won't be enough for the Vikings to jump ahead.

CCIW Tournament Champs or Bust?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Viking Mike on February 19, 2020, 02:33:30 PM
Ouch!.. Appears Augie just got buried in the regional rankings.  Those close non-conference losses to Oshkosh, Lacrosse, and Wash U early on in the year appear to be looming large in regard to 
            their NCAA tourney hopes.

I'm figuring 2-6 against RRO has them in 9th or 10th slot (behind Eau-Claire)

They have such a strong SOS and will likely finish 2nd in the CCIW.  How realistic is it that Augie gets an invite w/o winning the CCIW Tourney?  I'm thinking even 1 loss by any of the teams ahead of them won't be enough for the Vikings to jump ahead.

CCIW Tournament Champs or Bust?

All games count from Nov. 8 to the end of the season ...

79jaybird

Elmhurst is breathing a sigh of relief.  With their stumbles the latter half of the season,  they still have a good shot to make the big dance.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: 79jaybird on February 19, 2020, 03:30:37 PM
Elmhurst is breathing a sigh of relief.  With their stumbles the latter half of the season,  they still have a good shot to make the big dance.

There was one season where Amherst men had a lousy second half of the season (off the top of my head something like .500 to close the second half) and made the tournament because of the resume they had built overall especially in the first half. They got unceremoniously punted in the first round ... but it goes to show that the entire resume from Nov. 8 onward is important, not the "last ten games" D1 likes to use.

cardinalpride

Quote from: lmitzel on February 19, 2020, 01:15:12 PM
Week 2's Regional Rankings are out: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/02/men-regional-rankings-second
I think...

1 Platteville (A)
2 Wash U (C)
3 North Central (A)
4 St. Norbert (A)
5 Eau Claire (C)
6 Oshkosh (C)
7 La Crosse (C)
8 Augustana (C)
Thinking about this a little more, I think BU probably edges out Augie in spot #8 -- BU won at NCC, Augie was swept by NCC.  I think that will be the difference.

1 Platteville (A)
2 Wash U (C)
3 North Central (A)
4 St. Norbert (A)
5 Eau Claire (C)
6 Oshkosh (C)
7 La Crosse (C)
8 Benedictine (A)

A thought -- if NCC ends up as the only ranked CCIW team in the final two polls*, that would do a lot of damage to NCC's overall resume.  It would take away a bunch of potential RRO.  For example, based on what I have above, NCC would be 0-2 vs RRO...and that aint good. 

"* Results versus ranked Division III teams as established by the final ranking and the ranking preceding the final ranking."
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/basketball/d3/men/2019-20D3MBB_PreChampsManual.pdf

With NCC 4 and Elmhurst 5, the damage actually isn't too bad, though that'll put their vRRO at 2-2 next week, which I can live with.
TQ or anyone else,
So the criteria "once regionally ranked, always regionally ranked" no longer exist?
CARDINAL PRIDE STARTS WITH ME!

lmitzel

Quote from: cardinalpride on February 19, 2020, 05:49:26 PM
Quote from: lmitzel on February 19, 2020, 01:15:12 PM
I think...

1 Platteville (A)
2 Wash U (C)
3 North Central (A)
4 St. Norbert (A)
5 Eau Claire (C)
6 Oshkosh (C)
7 La Crosse (C)
8 Augustana (C)

1 Platteville (A)
2 Wash U (C)
3 North Central (A)
4 St. Norbert (A)
5 Eau Claire (C)
6 Oshkosh (C)
7 La Crosse (C)
8 Benedictine (A)

TQ or anyone else,
So the criteria "once regionally ranked, always regionally ranked" no longer exist?

Correct. They only look at the prior week's rankings. Sharing what Dave wrote over on the Pool C thread (and elsewhere):
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 19, 2020, 01:37:08 PM
I posted this in another chat room, but figured it was worth posting here as well. Just a reminder of how the vRRO data is used moving forward:

vRRO Data
Week 1- none -
Week 2Week 1
Week 3Week 2
FinalWeek 3
Finale/SelectionsWeek 3 & Final
#THREEEEEEEEE