WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine 1

Congratulations to both Amherst and Tufts--what a great game.  I give all the credit to the great defense by both teams--when teams
play defense the way Amherst and Tufts play, shooters rush open shots.  I thought the difference in the game was that Amherst had a bit more on offense than Tufts, and they were able to get some quality shots. The two freshmen guards had great games for Amherst, as did Holness off the bench.  The referees overall were very inconsistent, but they did not affect the outcome.  They let Holness get away with pretty much pushing everyone off her on the offensive end.   

Overall, I thought both teams played very well.  They are too evenly matched teams. Surprisngly, Amherst's bench outplayed Tufts. 
I would say Voights late three was a lot of luck, she had no choice as the shot clock was about to go off.
Would love to see these two teams play again.

amh63

Maine1....Glad the game was worth the trip to LeFrak today.  Agree that both teams played in the "featured " game today.  Refer those that did not get to watch online to the recaps at either college websites.  Just wanted to make several comments wrt the atmosphere at the game and make a rebuttal to Maine1 that I feel necessary.
It was Senior day and the three Seniors...Crowley, Hardy and Voigt were honored along with the student assistant coach.  The stands were full with lots of loud Tufts fans...more fans than the men's game earlier.  Pat Coleman of D3 hoops was the announcer as D3 carried the game.  The Amherst championship team members....6 seniors that graduated last year were in the stands cheering the Amherst team on and questioning the refs like me.  I was somewhat quiet since the College president Biddy was sitting one row down from me.
Agree with Maine1 generally...on the refs and contribution of the two FY players and S. Holeness.
From my bias eyes, I thought that the refs were allowing the Tufts' players to play very physical defense and "foul/mug" a number of the Lady Jeffs under the boards, etc.  Since Tufts was to have the deeper bench...a good tactic to get Amherst to use it's short bench.  Bridget had two fouls early, and Voigt had to sit also for significant time in the first half.  Guess what....Holeness came in and gave as much as she was getting underneath and fighting for position.  Fy guard comes in and contribute on both sides for Voigt.  Amherst used 7 players and Tufts used primarily 7-8 players in their rotation.  At this time...in close games, coaches goes to the bench very little and use around 8 players or less, IMO.  As in the Bates game, the Fy players are comfortable starting or coming off the bench.  They are learning and growing with confidence with every game now.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sumfun on February 02, 2013, 06:09:22 PM
Great Amherst win.  They now control their own destiny, though Williams will be ready for them.  I'll take an "out of control" Voigt any day.  Much different team when she runs the point, and the presence of mind to put up that 3 as the shot clock ran down was amazing.  So nice to have such good video and replays from D3Hoops.  Nice job guys on the call too!

Thanks -- glad you enjoyed it! I know we enjoyed the experience and glad that D3Cast's Steve Clay came in to produce this game and make it look so good. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

NH NESCAC Fan

Now, that, was a very good game, of two evenly matched teams.  I said afterward that this Amherst team just doesn't seem to be getting the respect this year.  The response was...well, they're ranked #3.  How much more respect do you want?...that was a very good point.  They may not be winning in blowout fashion, as we have gotten used to the last few years, but, they keep winning.  Years from now if you look up winning ugly in a sports book, there will be a picture of this team.  They didn't win ugly last night though.  And I agree with the earlier post that Haley Zwecker can play.

joe8579

Quote from: Maine1 on February 02, 2013, 08:28:31 PMThe referees overall were very inconsistent, but they did not affect the outcome.  They let Holness get away with pretty much pushing everyone off her on the offensive end.   
Frankly, I thought the officiating was an embarrassment. It was incredibly inconsistent from half to half (tons of ticky-tack stuff - especially from the younger shorter ref - in the first half and no calls in the second), and from official to official (as I said, one guy seemed like he was making every call). I was astounded by the level of physicality they let Holness get away with. She was displacing defenders (illegal according to the rules), hooking defenders (also illegal), and outright pushing (same) left and right, and was not called for it a single time.

I'm all for letting the teams play to a certain extent, especially in a hard-fought game as this was, but when you let an offensive player get away with murder and then call a defender on a ticky-tack foul somewhere else? That is just bad. I think all three officials were out of their depth. At one point, Meg Robertson blatantly imbalanced herself by leaning on a Tufts defender, then the defender moved away and she fell over. The result? A foul on the defender.

amh63

For the posters that did not see the hard fought game between the leaders in the "CAC" you can see it.  D3hoops has a video on it.  I watched the mens game and realize that I missed a number of things while watching in the stands.  Will watch the women's game later.  It will be interesting to see if what I thought I saw in a given play is what some other posters saw differently...etc....same to the refs and their calls and no calls.
I have been to many D3 games as well as Div1 games...both men and women and have been upset about the calls many times.  I have vented about them and so forth...venting is good but doesn't change the outcome of games.
In the Tufts vs Amherst Game, there were several plays that occurred that I thought should have had a foul called against Tufts or a no call.  On one...that looked quite like the one described by an other poster, I turned to my friend in the stands and complained.  His answer was...she was leaning and when the defender moved, she fell down.  The no call was right.  Guess there were several like that and that we all see things differently at times...in the "heat of the battle".
If the drama of the season plays out "correctly" ...for me, I see Amherst meeting Tufts again in LeFrak for the "CAC" Title.  Maybe with a better crew of refs?

sumfun

Seems like travel on the East Coast could be difficult or impossible this weekend.  Be safe!

HoopMama

Friday night games changed to Sunday afternoon.

HoopMama

Saturday games on but time delays.

joe8579

So much for curling up with a cup of hot cocoa and a whole lot of NESCAC games today...

Maine 1

Wow! what is going on at Williams-dominating first half by Williams-can they keep this up.  If so, assuming Williams, Amherst and Tufts win their remaining game, a three way tie for top at the NESCAC

jumpshot

Williams women shock #3 ranked and previously undefeated (22-0) Amherst 71-51 in a blowout in Williamstown. Amherst alumni and fans from Maine to Florida immediately are calling for an investigation, task forces, special committees, etc. Protests scheduled for tomorrow on campus in spite of snow ....

7express

Quote from: Maine1 on February 10, 2013, 04:53:10 PM
Wow! what is going on at Williams-dominating first half by Williams-can they keep this up.  If so, assuming Williams, Amherst and Tufts win their remaining game, a three way tie for top at the NESCAC

Looks like they'll have to go to the old coin flip to decide seeds.

NE Hoop Guy

I do not think it is all that shocking.   If you look at Amherst,  Tufts and Williams on paper I think it is clear that they are the third best team.  How they avoided losing a game until now is what is shocking to me.  Be nice to see a NESCAC final somewhere else.

7express

If Tufts plays @ Williams this year they probably lose and if Amherst played @ Tufts they probably lose.  I thought Tufts was going to beat Amherst anyways, but not surprising Amherst won at home, and really not surprising all these teams held serve against each other on their home court.  Whichever one of these 3 get the home court advantage will be at an extreme advantage against the other 2.