BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

Looks like I'm not alone in my opinion....  With guys like Jim and Shannon in agreement, based on their experience, how could I be wrong now!!   ;)
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Jim Dixon

Quote from: cubs on April 14, 2018, 02:09:33 PM
Looks like I'm not alone in my opinion....  With guys like Jim and Shannon in agreement, based on their experience, how could I be wrong now!!   ;)

One can easily make he case that the best WIAC team would always have gotten a Pool B bid, thus the loss of the automatic bid is somewhat moot.  If the conference was like Midwest, it would be a different story as the team winning the MWC tournament, Pool A s their only path to the playoffs.

cubs

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 15, 2018, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: cubs on April 14, 2018, 02:09:33 PM
One can easily make he case that the best WIAC team would always have gotten a Pool B bid, thus the loss of the automatic bid is somewhat moot.  If the conference was like Midwest, it would be a different story as the team winning the MWC tournament, Pool A s their only path to the playoffs.
Which is what I have been saying since Superior decided to leave the WIAC and join the UMAC....  Sure, there could be an occasional year where the WIAC doesn't earn a Pool B bid, but I would believe that would be VERY rare unless the level of play in the WIAC drops significantly!!!

Jim Dixon

One problem is that there is not a good option to make the WIAC a seven team conference unless another UW school picks up baseball.  I would actually suggest the NCAA to make all six team conferences since seven just seem like an odd number (well it is odd but...)

The only consequence could be the ASC splitting in two for two pool a bids.  The USA South, with 14 members, can already do this and get two A bids.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 16, 2018, 12:05:17 PM
One problem is that there is not a good option to make the WIAC a seven team conference unless another UW school picks up baseball.  I would actually suggest the NCAA to make all six team conferences since seven just seem like an odd number (well it is odd but...)

The only consequence could be the ASC splitting in two for two pool a bids.  The USA South, with 14 members, can already do this and get two A bids.

Who is the most logical team to move into the WIAC? ANy chance UW-Parkside would drop from D2 into D3? The are the state's only D2 program, and UW Milwaukee is the state's only D1. How is this possible???? I think part of the reason Wisconsin's D3s are so good nationally is that they often get D1/D2 type kids who fall into their laps as very few D1 schools recruit Wisconsin (Arkansas seems to always grab a kid or two).
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 16, 2018, 07:11:54 PM

Who is the most logical team to move into the WIAC? ANy chance UW-Parkside would drop from D2 into D3? The are the state's only D2 program, and UW Milwaukee is the state's only D1. How is this possible???? I think part of the reason Wisconsin's D3s are so good nationally is that they often get D1/D2 type kids who fall into their laps as very few D1 schools recruit Wisconsin (Arkansas seems to always grab a kid or two).

UW-Parkside would probably not challenge the top WIAC teams.  The more likely path is for River Falls or Eau Claire to add baseball.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 17, 2018, 10:48:45 AM

UW-Parkside would probably not challenge the top WIAC teams.  The more likely path is for River Falls or Eau Claire to add baseball.

Agree on UW-Parkside. They have always struggled as a baseball program. I played them nearly every season while at Carthage and I do not recall us ever losing to them. The school's are only three miles apart.

cubs

I think part of the reason Wisconsin's D3s are so good nationally is that they often get D1/D2 type kids who fall into their laps as very few D1 schools recruit Wisconsin (Arkansas seems to always grab a kid or two).
If what I am hearing is accurate, there is a pair of kids from the same high school that will be heading to Arkansas in the Fall of 2019 to play baseball....  There was a time where I thought both would end up playing in the WIAC.

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on April 17, 2018, 01:23:16 PM
I think part of the reason Wisconsin's D3s are so good nationally is that they often get D1/D2 type kids who fall into their laps as very few D1 schools recruit Wisconsin (Arkansas seems to always grab a kid or two).
If what I am hearing is accurate, there is a pair of kids from the same high school that will be heading to Arkansas in the Fall of 2019 to play baseball....  There was a time where I thought both would end up playing in the WIAC.

My point exactly... Arkansas has ALWAYS found a few kids there. Not many others make much effort in the state.

mwunder

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 17, 2018, 12:49:11 PM

Agree on UW-Parkside. They have always struggled as a baseball program. I played them nearly every season while at Carthage and I do not recall us ever losing to them. The school's are only three miles apart.

Carthage is actually 8-14-1 all time vs the Rangers.

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS take game one at Illinois Tech 7-0.  Jones gets the win allowing 5 hits and striking out 7 without a walk in 7 innings.  O'Sullivan and Makuski each threw a 1-2-3 inning in relief.  The WARHAWKS held a slim 1-0 through 7 2/3 innings with their only run scoring on a balk in the third before Bryden and Aldridge both doubled to push the score to 4-0 and the WARHAWKS added three in the eighth on an error, bases loaded walk and a single. 

For a true freshman I really like O'Sullivan.  He's a tall lefty with good velocity and a decent breaking ball.  He's yet to give up a run or base on balls and has 18 K's in 12 innings.  Baring the unforeseen I think he has the potential to be very good by the time he's graduated.

WARHAWKS take game two 7-1.  Scoreless through three the WARHAWKS put three on the board in the 4th.  Illinois Tech scored a single run in the bottom of the inning but the WARHAWKS added three more in the fifth and a single run in the sixth.  Doud had three hits and an RBI.  Aldridge, Aiello and Wary all had RBI as well.  Kaska got the win going 5 innings, allowing 6 hits and striking out 3.  Heilenbach pitched 2 scoreless innings surrendering a pair of hits with 1 walk and 3 strikeouts.  Makuski and Grutzmacher each threw one scoreless inning. 

"Just think twice is my only advice."

BigSpotScott

Very few is a gross understatement. Especially with technology and all of the showcases, D1 teams have it easier than ever to recruit Wisconsin. This statement maybe was valid in the 90s and early 2000s, but today, if you're good, they'll find you.

Jim Dixon

It is indeed easier to fnd a player these days but one thing that helps keep any player in state is that it is easier for parents and friends to see the games if the player stays local.  I suspect this helps keep players in state.

Baseball Geek

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 19, 2018, 10:35:14 AM
It is indeed easier to fnd a player these days but one thing that helps keep any player in state is that it is easier for parents and friends to see the games if the player stays local.  I suspect this helps keep players in state.
That's a great point.

And as much as showcases and online profiles/videos help in the process, they are only one part of the equation. Recruiters still want to see the players in actual game situations, knowing that a showcase beast isn't always the best all around player or teammate. Trips to games are still very important, and the northern climate is just not always recruiter-friendly for baseball.

TitanDoubles

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 17, 2018, 02:17:04 PM
Quote from: cubs on April 17, 2018, 01:23:16 PM

My point exactly... Arkansas has ALWAYS found a few kids there. Not many others make much effort in the state.
Arkansas doesn't pick up Wisconsin kids by random chance. Arkansas' connection to Wisconsin comes from their longtime Coach Norm DeBriyn. DeBriyn was an Ashland native, played two years of football and baseball at UWO, and coached at Hortonville HS before moving on to Northern Colarado before a lengthy and successful career at Arkansas. http://www.uwoshkoshtitans.com/HallofFame/Year/Releases/1991