How good do you have to be to play d3 Basketball?

Started by JJKCHS23, January 20, 2008, 04:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: luke12 on December 03, 2008, 03:55:01 AM
Hi Guys,
Im a 6 ft 7 forward from new zealand. Was wondering if there are any ways to be noticed/scouted/recruited all the way out here?

Put a DVD together of some of your play, send it to schools you might like to attend.  There's no scholarships in d3, so you need to pick the school because it's a good school.  Coaches will look at it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Hugenerd

Quote from: luke12 on December 03, 2008, 03:55:01 AM
Hi Guys,
Im a 6 ft 7 forward from new zealand. Was wondering if there are any ways to be noticed/scouted/recruited all the way out here?

Also, most division 3 basketball teams have recruitment forms on their websites.  You just fill in your information and it gets emailed to the coach. This may be a good method of first contact before sending out DVDs to every team you may be interested in.

Hoops Fan makes a good point about scholarships, d3 gives no athletics scholarships but they do award academic and need based financial aid (I dont know about eligibility for international students).

luke12

Ok thanks ill work on it. Was also wondering what the level of play is like in div3 basketball compared to the likes of NCAA div I or the Australian National Basketball League. Is the standard high or what?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: luke12 on December 03, 2008, 10:39:39 PM
Ok thanks ill work on it. Was also wondering what the level of play is like in div3 basketball compared to the likes of NCAA div I or the Australian National Basketball League. Is the standard high or what?
Good morning, Luke12!

Former McMurry University (Abilene, TX) Center Brian Tudman played four years with the Giants.

McMurry's first  D3hoops.com Team of the Week recipient, Brian Tudman was an All-American Southwest Conference (ASC) Center for McMurry Coach Ron Holmes, and demonstrated a calibre of play that earned national attention.  That calibre of play is such that about 20-30 D3 players are playing pro basketball somewhere in the world every season.  (I have found no official tally, however.)

Coach Holmes does recruit internationally, and he takes American teams to Europe each summer.   He would appreciate a DVD.   :)

sludge

Coaches want to see a game DVD or tape; they are not so much interested in a highlight DVD or tape.   This makes great sense.  The coach wants to see offense and defense, the fresh player and the not-so-fresh  player.

Good luck, and you might want to consider Guilford College in Greensboro, NC.  Good school and team.

with age came?

Luke12- Choose a school that has a course offerings in fields that interest you. If you are interested in playing bball at the d-3 level you will almost never "make basketball your career".  That being said it is truly a rewarding and enriching experience to play for the love of the game like d-3 hoopers do.  The e-mails & complete game videos are a must.  Rest assured that you do have 1 important thing going for you - 6'7" (you can't teach height).  I would suggest you post your academic interests also. ie: Engineering, Liberal Arts, Physical Education etc. then people might match schools to your interests. Good luck!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I don't have a lot of familiarity with Australian basketball, however a retired Athletic Director I know does.  He's told me that the best D-3 and NAIA schools in the US are on a level with the top tier club teams in Australia (only the very best players could ever expect to make a living wage playing basketball).

luke12

Thanks guys, am in the process of trying to find some footage.
Another quick question...How does the standard of play in D3 basketball compare to that of Div2 and Div1? Is there also a big division between the best and worst teams in the divisions? (UNC trounced UNC-asheville 116-48 indicates there is).

Hugenerd

There is always going to be a big difference between the best and worst teams in a division.  Comparing a UNC blowout versus anyone doesnt say too much because UNC is the unanimous #1 in D1. 

With that said (you can look at the D3 vs. D1/D2/etc. board for more info), but the top D3 teams can usually compete with middle-of-the-pack D1 and D2 teams, although it is not too common that D3 teams beat D1 teams (this usually only happens a few times a year).  Even when D3 teams beat D1 teams, it usually isnt against well known schools.  There are a few exceptions, for example Carnegie Mellon beat Princeton a couple of years ago, I am sure some other posters can give you other examples as well.

With hundreds of teams in the D3, there are clearly going to be some teams that are much worse than others (just like in any division), but by doing a little bit of research you can definitely find what schools are right for you, and play competitive basketball schedules as well.

If you want to go to a top tier university and travel to large cities all over the US, a UAA team might be good for you, which includes current #1 ranked WashU, #19 Carnegie Mellon, Chicago, NYU, Brandeis, Emory, Rochester, and Case Western.  If you want to be in the Northeast, there are a bunch of good schools in the NESCAC (Amherst, Williams, Tufts, etc.) and NEWMAC (MIT, WPI, etc.).  There is always a very high level of play in the CCIW (Illinois and Wisconsin) and WIAC (Wisconsin) and there are many other conferences across the country that have several very competitive programs (I have just listed some school and conferences that I am more familiar with and came to mind while writing this post).

Good luck researching and finding a good fit for yourself. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

You may also want to check out the Massey ratings (once there is enough data to get them going).  Massey has a page where all teams across divisions are ranked against each other (some 1200 schools).  While not perfect, it does give a moderately accurate picture of how the divisions compare to one another.

The top DIII and DII teams are usually in the right place, even if the top team isn't the one we all think it should be.

luke12

how good is division 3? better than the new zealand breakers? the 0800 EASY LPG hawks?

Ralph Turner

Good morning, Luke.

We had a McMurry University grad from 1999 named Brian Tudman (6'8" 204cm F/C)  who was a Josten's Finalist...

http://odac.bridgewater.edu/jostens/99final.htm

and then played for the Goldfields Giants in Australia,

http://www.goldencity.com.au/giants/team/tudmanb.php

Tudman's 1998-99 McMurry team went 22-3, beat Division I Texas-Arlington, but lost on a 45-foot buzzer beater in the American Southwest Conference semi-finals and did not get selected as a Pool B bid to the NCAA tournament.

Extrapolating that quality of play, the best American players on the best D-III teams can go on to play professional ball in Australia.  How does that compare with NZ ball?

David Collinge

Quote from: luke12 on March 20, 2009, 12:57:34 AM
how good is division 3? better than the new zealand breakers? the 0800 EASY LPG hawks?
Why not tune into the video webcasts of the semifinals and finals and see for yourself?  The first semifinal begins in a little more than six hours, which I believe is noon Saturday your time.  You can access the telecasts from the front page of D3Hoops.com;  over on the right side of the page, look for "today's games" and click on the little 'V' next to the current game.

luke12

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 20, 2009, 07:37:13 AM
Good morning, Luke.

We had a McMurry University grad from 1999 named Brian Tudman (6'8" 204cm F/C)  who was a Josten's Finalist...

http://odac.bridgewater.edu/jostens/99final.htm

and then played for the Goldfields Giants in Australia,

http://www.goldencity.com.au/giants/team/tudmanb.php

Tudman's 1998-99 McMurry team went 22-3, beat Division I Texas-Arlington, but lost on a 45-foot buzzer beater in the American Southwest Conference semi-finals and did not get selected as a Pool B bid to the NCAA tournament.

Extrapolating that quality of play, the best American players on the best D-III teams can go on to play professional ball in Australia.  How does that compare with NZ ball?

The goldfield giants do not play in the top tier of the australian basketball competition.

this is the top level. www.nbl.com.au

The new zealand national basketball league features several american college players, including:

charles "chuck" bailey, who plays for the 0800 EASY LPG hawks.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=5063

and antoine tisby, who plays for the otago nuggets.
gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tisby_antoine00.html

both these players seem to be above the div3 level of competition?