Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg21grimm

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 13, 2019, 09:13:00 AM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on July 12, 2019, 11:10:41 PM
Quote from: greg21grimm on July 12, 2019, 01:36:12 AM
That didn't take long
https://hoopdirt.com/diii-dirt-waynesburg-set-to-hire-current-diii-head-coach/

That is embarrassing for the Cal Lu athletic department.  You bring a guy in with zero ties to CA and he splits after two very mediocre years.  He also splits in the middle of the summer when it's too late for players to go elsewhere.  It will be interesting to see what direction they go with the next hire.
Waynesburg would have similar recruiting/enrollment issues.

The SID at Waynesburg should receive a Pulitzer for his press release:
https://waynesburgsports.com/news/2019/7/19/fusina-named-mens-basketball-coach.aspx?path=mbball

33 incoming freshmen? Only 8 were on Varsity, and only 2 played. CLU does have a JV team. Interesting to see who remains for next year.
Top 50 schedule? Only 2 wins against teams with winning records w/ average loss of 19 ppg.  Only 5 wins total over teams with winning records in 2 years.
East coast scheduling will be better, as by his Centenary record. 12 wins in 16-17, 2 against teams with an above .500 record.

Quote from: socalcoach on July 20, 2019, 02:36:14 AM
I am expecting a quick hire at Cal Lutheran and I think it will be a strong choice. I think it will happen in the next few days.

It took them 6 months to find, interview, and hire Fusina.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

socalcoach

It took them 6 months to find, interview, and hire Fusina.
[/quote]

Looks like it took 6 days for this hire and seems like a good one.

https://twitter.com/pollonpreps/status/1152606316461846528

https://twitter.com/CLUSports/status/1152664131868057601

greg21grimm

Quote from: socalcoach on July 20, 2019, 09:25:42 PM

You knew it would have to be a quick and local hire based upon the time frame.  And it also shows how bad the CLU administration is or has been in this entire process. From my understanding, in the original hiring process 2 years ago, they stated in the job description, they wanted someone with minimum 3 years college Head coaching experience, and they didnt even give Coach White an interview.  And they got a lot of flack from alumni for not even giving him a phone interview or giving Coach Dains an on campus interview.

I believe the President has taken control of this and wanted to calm the waters and went back and hired Coach White for the men's bball job, and in fact I think, they hired another alumni for the Women's job.  He was local, an alum, and knew he would take it. No search committee, no interviews, etc.  That tells you that upper administration has no faith in the AD or VP of athletics, if the President is taking control of this. Sounds like a waste of 300k in salary, if they cant hire correctly.

socalcoach

Quote from: greg21grimm on July 21, 2019, 12:02:43 PM
Quote from: socalcoach on July 20, 2019, 09:25:42 PM

You knew it would have to be a quick and local hire based upon the time frame.  And it also shows how bad the CLU administration is or has been in this entire process. From my understanding, in the original hiring process 2 years ago, they stated in the job description, they wanted someone with minimum 3 years college Head coaching experience, and they didnt even give Coach White an interview.  And they got a lot of flack from alumni for not even giving him a phone interview or giving Coach Dains an on campus interview.

I believe the President has taken control of this and wanted to calm the waters and went back and hired Coach White for the men's bball job, and in fact I think, they hired another alumni for the Women's job.  He was local, an alum, and knew he would take it. No search committee, no interviews, etc.  That tells you that upper administration has no faith in the AD or VP of athletics, if the President is taking control of this. Sounds like a waste of 300k in salary, if they cant hire correctly.

A lot of accuracy in the information regarding the search 2 years ago from what I know. However, from speaking with one of the two current hires they were done without even meeting with the President. I believe both current administrators were involved in some capacity in the hires. It seems the President signed off on both but the searches were left to be handled by the administration. Could it simply be they learned from the past process and moved quickly. Would you agree they are both good hires? As an Alum are you in support?

AlltheKINGSmen99

As an alum I am thrilled. I was at school with both of them. They will do great things. I don't care who was involved in the hire. They obviously fixed the mistakes of the last men's basketball hire. This was the hire they should have made two years ago. Better late than never. Just wish Coach White was jumping off from a higher point than where the program is now. He has a lot of ground to make up.

greg21grimm

Quote from: socalcoach on July 22, 2019, 12:16:30 AM
A lot of accuracy in the information regarding the search 2 years ago from what I know. However, from speaking with one of the two current hires they were done without even meeting with the President. I believe both current administrators were involved in some capacity in the hires. It seems the President signed off on both but the searches were left to be handled by the administration. Could it simply be they learned from the past process and moved quickly. Would you agree they are both good hires? As an Alum are you in support?

Honestly, I dont know enough about either to really make a comment. They obviously have very strong track records at the HS level, but the coaching in SCIAC on both sides is very good, so there will be a learning curve.  How quickly can they adjust will be the question.

I waited over a year to make my judgments on Fusina to see how he coached a very talented returning group of players that Coach Dains left behind.  CLU looks like they are in complete rebuild with both programs.  CLU administration has gotten away from what the CLU identity really is over the years....not only with their hiring of coaches, but trying to change the mascot, and adding A LOT of higher admin personnel that just dont know what really makes CLU successful.  The benefit of these hires is that they know what the CLU culture was and can bring some of that old Purple and Gold spirit back.

AlltheKINGSmen99

White should have been the hire the first time.
Glad they got it right - however they did it.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: AlltheKINGSmen99 on July 23, 2019, 02:14:22 PM

The fact that they just hired two alums speaks volumes about how bad they screwed up the first time.  I have no idea why the women position was open as the former coach did a pretty solid job at Cal Lu.  There are no articles or information as to where she might have gone, or if she just left to pursue other opportunities.

Bringing in a coach from back East was quite possibly the dumbest thing they could have done, especially a coach with a record like he did.  It's probably obvious that alumni are usually a great choice to lead a program, but the situation they got themselves into was embarrassing.  It is going to take a little while to fix the mess that was left, but it sounds like White is a great coach to lead the program and the new women's coach has been pretty successful and built a good program at Chaminade.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Jack Parkman on July 24, 2019, 09:23:08 PM
Quote from: AlltheKINGSmen99 on July 23, 2019, 02:14:22 PM

The fact that they just hired two alums speaks volumes about how bad they screwed up the first time.  I have no idea why the women position was open as the former coach did a pretty solid job at Cal Lu.  There are no articles or information as to where she might have gone, or if she just left to pursue other opportunities.

Bringing in a coach from back East was quite possibly the dumbest thing they could have done, especially a coach with a record like he did.  It's probably obvious that alumni are usually a great choice to lead a program, but the situation they got themselves into was embarrassing.  It is going to take a little while to fix the mess that was left, but it sounds like White is a great coach to lead the program and the new women's coach has been pretty successful and built a good program at Chaminade.
https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/07/cal-lutheran-coaching-changes
Fierce When Roused

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

From conversations I've had about CalLu (people coming to me; I haven't been searching for it) ... there appear to be significant problems at Cal Lu. Both basketball coaches leaving nearly at the same time and the WBB coach departing for a JUCO job in San Diego doesn't really point at the coaches.

I know not everyone was thrilled about Fusina's hire... but what I've learned over time he really wanted to make it work. He wasn't looking to leave after two years.

There appears to be bigger issues - ones I am not in the position to divulge - and those internal issues need to be solved if anyone wants to see Cal Lu succeed.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AlltheKINGSmen99

All Fusina did was complain about how hard the job was. I am not buying it. No way a winning coach like White with one of the best high school jobs in the area walks away from that (same for dimuro) and into the dumpster fire that Fusina tries to make CLU. Fusina inherited a very talented roster and ran the program into the ground in under 18 months. If Fusina wanted to make it work he would have. White has already done more outreach to local coaches in 1 month than Fusina did in two years. CLU is far from perfect and the infastrcture is way behind the times for a school with facilities like they have but it is far from "significant problems".

OxyBob

Oxy started its season on November 2 with a 73-56 exhibition game loss to The Master's College (NAIA I).

The Tigers played a good first half, and the game was tied 35-all at halftime. The second half was a different story as the Mustangs pulled away for the win.

For Oxy, Jacob Adler scored 25 and Caleb Yellin-Flaherty scored 19.  Ryan Kaneshiro was out with an injury.

Oxy's season opener is tonight at home against Yeshiva University from the Skyline Conference. Game time is 8:30 p.m.

OxyBob

OxyBob

Quote from: OxyBob on November 09, 2019, 02:32:43 PM
Oxy's season opener is tonight at home against Yeshiva University from the Skyline Conference. Game time is 8:30 p.m.

Oxy 72 Yeshiva 60 Final

The Tigers shot 63% in the first half and led 45-29 at halftime. In the second half, Oxy led by 28 with 12 minutes to go before they took their foot off the gas.

Jacob Adler scored 22, Sydney Shipp had 13 off the bench, Caleb Yellin-Flaherty had 12 and Ryan Kaneshiro scored 10.

Up next for Oxy (1-0) is a game at West Coast Baptist College in Lancaster on 11/14 at 7:00 p.m.

OxyBob