FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger fan

The most impressive thing for GC is not the number coming in or how they are announced when they do. It's that GC graduated 18.  Teams win with juniors and seniors.

Just in case anyone wants to know - players report for fall practice in exactly 100 days! 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on May 03, 2016, 12:22:21 PM
The most impressive thing for GC is not the number coming in or how they are announced when they do. It's that GC graduated 18.  Teams win with juniors and seniors.

Just in case anyone wants to know - players report for fall practice in exactly 100 days!
Could not agree more ... 18 is a great number for GC ... I remember just a few years ago when it might have been 8!  These seniors will definitely be missed and have made a big impact on the program. 

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 03, 2016, 10:56:24 AM
hasa

How many guys does he carry on the team ? We are limited to around 115 due to locker room space which I personally feel is too many. give me 3 deep at each position plus the kickers and lets go to work.
I know 140 ish were at practice when camp opened in August 2015.  You lose a few, of course, to attrition and injuries, but I imagine there were 120 dressed for many home games ... in the program, you see a lot of numbers duplicated between Offense and Defense.  By the way, I just counted the players on the 2015 roster ... 122 ... about twice the roster in years past.

hasanova

Speaking of Guilford recruits, here's the third announcement of 5 more players in Class of 2020:

http://www.guilfordquakers.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160503gxp6x7

Again, welcome gentlemen and Go Quakers!

jknezek

With all the ODAC championships in the books for the year I'm just going to give a huge round of applause to my Generals. For the men, W&L finished first in Football, Soccer, Cross Country, Swimming, Golf, Lacrosse, and Tennis. The men finished second in Indoor Track and Field, third in outdoor track, 3rd or 4th in baseball, and the only stinker, toward the bottom of basketball.

The women did just as well. Championships in Cross Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Swimming, Soccer, and Tennis. Second in Golf and Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field. Third in Volleyball and Riding, and tied for third in Basketball. 

Results won't officially post for a while, but I'm pretty sure the men will take home their 3rd of the last 4 President's Cups, 16th overall, the women their 12th straight President's Cup, 15th overall, and the school's 14th straight combined Cup, 19th overall.

A very dominant athletic year.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on May 08, 2016, 07:58:38 PM
With all the ODAC championships in the books for the year I'm just going to give a huge round of applause to my Generals. For the men, W&L finished first in Football, Soccer, Cross Country, Swimming, Golf, Lacrosse, and Tennis. The men finished second in Indoor Track and Field, third in outdoor track, 3rd or 4th in baseball, and the only stinker, toward the bottom of basketball.

The women did just as well. Championships in Cross Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Swimming, Soccer, and Tennis. Second in Golf and Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field. Third in Volleyball and Riding, and tied for third in Basketball. 

Results won't officially post for a while, but I'm pretty sure the men will take home their 3rd of the last 4 President's Cups, 16th overall, the women their 12th straight President's Cup, 15th overall, and the school's 14th straight combined Cup, 19th overall.

A very dominant athletic year.
Definitely a good year for the Generals.  Many things of which to be proud.

tigerFanAlso2

Jk

Congrats to your Generals on a great year. That goal line stand still keeps me up at night and I believe your boys will be better next year, in football that is. Don't really care about the other sports but I know others do and I respect that.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 10, 2016, 06:23:57 PM
Jk

Congrats to your Generals on a great year. That goal line stand still keeps me up at night and I believe your boys will be better next year, in football that is. Don't really care about the other sports but I know others do and I respect that.

I'm certainly proud of them! That goal line stand was epic. I also believe this W&L football team will be better than last year. If the injury bug doesn't bite, I could see this team being as good as 2011, which despite not winning the conference was the best W&L team I ever saw. That group lost by 7 on the road to Centre and by 7 on the road to H-SC. Both playoff teams. This year's team has to travel to JHU, but otherwise the schedule sets up well for them.

tigerFanAlso2

Jk

You are correct, again. In 2011 HSC traveled played at Centre in the first round, lost in a close game. The next week Centre traveled to Mount Union and only got beat 20 to 0 (I think that is correct).

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on May 11, 2016, 09:10:08 AM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 10, 2016, 06:23:57 PM
Jk

I'm certainly proud of them! That goal line stand was epic. I also believe this W&L football team will be better than last year. If the injury bug doesn't bite, I could see this team being as good as 2011, which despite not winning the conference was the best W&L team I ever saw. That group lost by 7 on the road to Centre and by 7 on the road to H-SC. Both playoff teams. This year's team has to travel to JHU, but otherwise the schedule sets up well for them.

Definitely watching this one. Must see TV, I mean live stream.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 11, 2016, 10:04:15 AM
Jk

You are correct, again. In 2011 HSC traveled played at Centre in the first round, lost in a close game. The next week Centre traveled to Mount Union and only got beat 20 to 0 (I think that is correct).

According to UMU's website it was 30-10. Interestingly, only Wesley and Baldwin Wallace managed to score more than 10 points on UMU that year. Only Centre and UWW scored 10.

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on May 11, 2016, 10:19:43 AM
Definitely watching this one. Must see TV, I mean live stream.

Maybe. It is a good week 1 match up and since it is a Thurs night for some reason, it's in a good slot to get what passes for a lot of attention in DIII. Hopefully the Generals will be up to it. We haven't won a road opener since the 50s I believe...

tigerFanAlso2

Jk

Thanks for the correction. I was pretty sure they got beat by 20 but for some reason thought they were shut out. I believe Centre beat HSC something like 50 to 41 on a day when the wind blew about 30mph. we couldn't stop their run and the wind was the only thing that stopped our passing. We were down by less than a touchdown late in the 4th quarter, Centre had 3rd down and about 14, we thought we would get the ball back with a chance to win and they took the 3rd down play 60 yards for a TD; game over. I remember being somewhat surprised that Centre held MU in check the following week, at least by MU standards.

Back to the 2011 W&L team, I still think the team that beat HSC in the 4 overtime game is the best W&L team I've seen. That game keeps me up at night as well. A missed 37 yard Fg was the difference. Best D3 game I've seen.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 11, 2016, 11:06:17 AM
Back to the 2011 W&L team, I still think the team that beat HSC in the 4 overtime game is the best W&L team I've seen. That game keeps me up at night as well. A missed 37 yard Fg was the difference. Best D3 game I've seen.

I agree with the bolded part. But that 2012 team was all Luke Heinsohn. Nick Lombardo at QB was more than competent, but he didn't have the command of the spread option that 3 year starter Charlie Westfal had the year before. 2012 did pack a little more stout and mature defense, but the offense was so focused around Heinsohn, deservedly so as he was almost unstoppable, that it lacked some explosiveness from the year before. The 2012 team also completely lost focus at Bridgewater. The closest 2011 came to having the same kind of breakdown was the first half against H-SC, and they fought back in that one, something the 2012 team couldn't do against the 4-3 ODAC Eagles (7-3 overall, but given their OOC it is hardly worth counting those games).