BB: Regionals (South) 2012 CNU

Started by rolln2, December 16, 2011, 08:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boysofsummer21

Narch,
I agree ODAC is a Pool A. Also I had Huntingdon ahead of Piedmount as they have a better conference record (9-3 vs 6-6) in region record (21-11 vs 23-14) and are 78 vs 69 in the SoS. IMO Piedmount lost it's chance at a pool c with the last lost to LaGrange. It is surprising to see the SoS numbers for the ODAC. VWC is the only one in the top 150!! the rest start at 202.. wow

Boysofsummer21

Also if you really like to see how a team, conference or region rank in many hitting/pitching catagories this is a great site
http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/ranksummary

narch

here is my best guess for regional rankings (which will give us some clues to pool b/c selections) - i think there will be 6 teams ranked:
1. CNU - 27-7 (.750), 25 sos - head to head win vs. salisbury
2. Salisbury - 25-5 (.833), 68 sos - has wesley, hopkins and montclair left...all strong regional opponents
3. Birmingham Southern - 31-7 (.816), 96 sos - lost to lynchburg, beat piedmont, split with huntingdon, lost 2x to emory - games remaining vs. udallas (23-15 overall) and emory (23-11)
4. Shenandoah - 24-8 (.750), 72 sos - split with lynchburg, 1-3 vs. cnu
5. Lynchburg - 26-7 (.788), 202 sos - split with shenandoah, beat bsc...those were really the only strong regional games they played
6. Emory - 23-11 (.676), 98 sos - 2-0 vs. bsc, 2-2 vs. piedmont, 2-1 vs. huntingdon

Others to consider:
Huntingdon - 21-11 (.656), 78 sos - 2-2 vs. bsc, 2-1 vs. piedmont
Piedmont - 23-14 (.622), 69 sos - 1-2 vs. marietta, 1-2 vs. huntingdon, 2-2 vs. emory, 0-1 vs. bsc

i think spots 5, 6, 7, 8 are all interchangeable, and i wouldn't be surprised to see rankings that included any combination of those 4 teams in the last two slots - i think the committee will be impressed with lynchburg's record, but when they examine the schedule closer, that might get discounted - if these were MY rankings (rather than my guess), i would have lynchburg 7th or 8th among these teams

rolln2

Well the regional rankings are out.  Looks like CNU, Birm. Southern, Salisbury, Shenandoah, Lynchburg, and Huntington made the top six in the south.  Any comments, agreements or disagreements.

narch

regional rankings are out http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2012/04/regional-rankings-1

not sure how bsc is ahead of salisbury...lower win% and lower sos

huntingdon gets in at 6, which is not surprising...i originally had them there, but switched emory in based on head to head

PNeal7

Has anyone seen the year Bruce Maxwell is putting up for B-SC? If you haven't, I'll post his numbers below. I would say at this point he is probably favorite for National Player of the Year. We tried to get him on our Valley League team, but had to move on to other options as he was not ready to make a decision. I'm not saying this is worth of the #2 slot in the South, just wanted to share:

.504 (61/121)
48 Runs Scored
23 Doubles
13 HR
39 RBI
51 BB's
.651 On Base %

rolln2

Three tickets now punched to Newport News w/ CNU, Salisbury, and Lynchburg all winnng their pool A bids.

rolln2

Quote from: rolln2 on April 29, 2012, 03:09:50 PM
Three tickets now punched to Newport News w/ CNU, Salisbury, and Lynchburg all winnng their pool A bids.
Birmingham Southern also punches a pool A bid from the south.  Question now is do they go to Newport News or to the Central regional in Memphis which may be closer for them.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: rolln2 on April 29, 2012, 05:32:14 PM
Quote from: rolln2 on April 29, 2012, 03:09:50 PM
Birmingham Southern also punches a pool A bid from the south.  Question now is do they go to Newport News or to the Central regional in Memphis which may be closer for them.
Pencil BSC in the Memphis bracket.  Besides, Memphis will harder to fill without a plane flight.

Birmingham to Memphis  --  ~231 miles
Birmingham to Newport News --  ~771 miles

LTBB1971

I may be headed the wrong way but does anyone think teams like Bridgewater (30-14), Wesley (29-14), Millsaps (28-16) or Rhodes (27-15) have a chance to get in?

Pauperboy

0%

Shenandoah, Emory, and Huntingdon are all ranked above those teams in the latest Regional rankings.
Even if Huntingdon is selected as a Pool B team (which I don't think will happen), the odds of a 4th South
Region team getting in are slim and none. Shenandoah is likely in....Emory and Huntingdon will need lots
of Conference favorites from around the country to win their respective Conference Tournaments to have the
best chance to get an at-large bid. And even then its not a sure thing.

NoVa Baseball

I've got to think there won't be more than one pool C bid in the South Regional. The givens are:
1) CNU
2) Salisburty
3) Shenandoah (pool C)
4) Lynchburg
The remaining 2 bids are likely to be Pool A's from conferences nearby.  My guesses would be:
Haverford (who just knocked off Johns Hopkins - Hopkins would have been a lock for this regional if they had won)
Misericordia (should they beat DeSales)
I think it is more likely that the NCAA will send a couple Mid-Atlantic Pool A's to Newport News than make  Birmingham Southern travel almost 800 miles.  The other bubble teams in the South seem unlikely to be ranked high enough or have a SoS high enough to get them in. 
Just my thinking - anxious to hear what others think.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: NoVa Baseball on May 06, 2012, 10:17:35 PM
I've got to think there won't be more than one pool C bid in the South Regional. The givens are:
1) CNU
2) Salisburty
3) Shenandoah (pool C)
4) Lynchburg
The remaining 2 bids are likely to be Pool A's from conferences nearby.  My guesses would be:
Haverford (who just knocked off Johns Hopkins - Hopkins would have been a lock for this regional if they had won)
I think it is more likely that the NCAA will send a couple Mid-Atlantic Pool A's to Newport News than make  Birmingham Southern travel almost 800 miles.  The other bubble teams in the South seem unlikely to be ranked high enough or have a SoS high enough to get them in. 
BSC is very close (~250 miles) to Memphis.  They are a natural for that regional.

I agree that 2 Mid-Atlantic teams move to this regional.

Boysofsummer21

1) CNU
2) Salisburty
3) Shenandoah (pool C)
4) Lynchburg
Wow Nova so the south regional is sitting with 4 top 25 teams in it (and if Brimingham was there it would be 5 and gee lets throw Huntingdon in there and all 6 are receiving votes "NOW THATS A REGIONAL!") think they may split this up as they are going to need someone to travel no matter what?

rolln2

Quote from: Boysofsummer21 on May 07, 2012, 10:24:30 PM
1) CNU
2) Salisburty
3) Shenandoah (pool C)
4) Lynchburg
Wow Nova so the south regional is sitting with 4 top 25 teams in it (and if Brimingham was there it would be 5 and gee lets throw Huntingdon in there and all 6 are receiving votes "NOW THATS A REGIONAL!") think they may split this up as they are going to need someone to travel no matter what?
I agree w/ NOVA.  I believe the south region will have two out of region teams come down to make up the six team field.  Could be Haverford, Drew or maybe Messiah.  Maybe even an NJAC conference team if they have several qualify.