NCAA Tournament

Started by David Collinge, February 23, 2009, 05:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wydown Blvd.

That quick of a turnaround would be pretty unreasonable for a team to prepare for their next opponent and possibly also hinder the quality of basketball (think the sloppy 4th and 5th overtime of 'Cuse v. UConn)... Remember this game is a lot about the student-athlete.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hope1 on March 15, 2009, 09:10:07 AM
why can t the ncaa  move the rounds from sweet 8 to the final 4 round to saturday afternoon istead of saturday  night  it is really fun to sit around all day in thomas and moore go shopping for 6 hours before the game starts

By the way... it is Thomas More... not Thomas and Moore... sheesh!

As for your idea... Division II does that as a big weekend and I will admit I think the basketball gets worse as they get into the championship game. Also, the championship weekend in D3 features a consolation game that no matter what people say, is actually a pretty decent game (unless a team like the Hampden-Sydney men decide they don't care enough to show up). If you make it an eight-team weekend... it's one and done on a long weekend for four teams. I like the way we do it right now.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BlueZoneBruin

Quote from: Wydown Blvd. on March 15, 2009, 09:30:47 AM
That quick of a turnaround would be pretty unreasonable for a team to prepare for their next opponent and possibly also hinder the quality of basketball (think the sloppy 4th and 5th overtime of 'Cuse v. UConn)... Remember this game is a lot about the student-athlete.

Nevermind that this is eactly what the schedule is for the Final Four and Championship game in Holland this week.  The championship game is being broadcast by someone, and as a result, the Championship game will be played at 10 a.m. PDT!  I'm excited that its gonna be on TV, but that is a bit ridiculous!

BlueZoneBruin

jagluski

Quote from: BlueZoneBruin on March 15, 2009, 11:28:37 AM

Nevermind that this is eactly what the schedule is for the Final Four and Championship game in Holland this week.  The championship game is being broadcast by someone, and as a result, the Championship game will be played at 10 a.m. PDT!  I'm excited that its gonna be on TV, but that is a bit ridiculous!

BlueZoneBruin

Yes...but the semis are at 12pm and 2pm PDT.  It's almost the same turnaround time that the teams had at sectionals, as opposed to what you were proposing.

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: BlueZoneBruin on March 15, 2009, 11:28:37 AM

BlueZoneBruin

Didn't you already say that you're going to be in Holland?  What difference does the time zone make when the teams will have traveled a couple of days earlier?

Your team is in the Final Four.  A lot of other people would like to be in your position.  Don't expect much sympathy.
You'll never walk alone.

BlueZoneBruin

Jagluski and Hoosier Titan,

Not looking for sympathy, at all. I am very excited that our team made it to Holland, and wasn't trying to complain.  I was just trying to add to the previous post.  When I wrote that post, I hadn't been able to find the times for the semifinal games.  The turnaround shouldn't be an issue knowing that.  I was just worried that they would be evening games followed by an early afternoon final.

BlueZoneBruin

mark_reichert

When is the last time the men and women teams of the same school played in the championship game?  In Division I, Connecticut played and won both in 2004, but has it happened in Division III? ???

Just Bill

It's never happened in Division III.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

sac

Attendance listed at 1569 for game one, 1587 for the second game.  Thats about 700 less than last years games.

hope1

you sit  where you wanted to  not even half full
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

Ralph Turner

Congatulations GFU!

Final Bruins 60, Bears 53

32-0!

Ralph Turner

Championship by Region --

1998 Wash U -- Central
1999 Wash U -- Central
2000 Wash U -- Central
2001 Wash U -- Central
2002 UWSP   --  Central
2003 Trinity TX -- South
2004 Wilmington -- Great Lakes
2005 Millikin -- Central
2006 Hope -- Great Lakes
2007 DePauw -- Great Lakes
2008 Howard Payne -- South
2009 George Fox  -- West

sac

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 21, 2009, 03:37:02 PM

1998 Wash U -- Central
1999 Wash U -- Central
2000 Wash U -- Central
2001 Wash U -- Central
2002 UWSP   --  Central
2003 Trinity TX -- South
2005 Millikin -- Central
2006 Hope -- Great Lakes
2009 George Fox  -- West

Amazingly the MIAA Champion has been eliminated by 5 of the last 6 National Champions, the sixth was the National Champion, Hope in 06

04 Albion first round
05 Calvin quarterfinal
07 Calvin quarterfinal
08 Hope quarterfinal
09 Hope quarterfinal

mark_reichert

Quote from: sac on March 21, 2009, 03:44:49 PM
Amazingly the MIAA Champion has been eliminated by 5 of the last 6 National Champions, the sixth was the National Champion, Hope in 06

04 Albion first round
05 Calvin quarterfinal
07 Calvin quarterfinal
08 Hope quarterfinal
09 Hope quarterfinal

Amazingly the UAA Champion has been eliminated by the national champion in 1994, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009.  They won 1997-2001.

Hwbb

Quote from: sac on March 21, 2009, 03:44:49 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 21, 2009, 03:37:02 PM

1998 Wash U -- Central
1999 Wash U -- Central
2000 Wash U -- Central
2001 Wash U -- Central
2002 UWSP   --  Central
2003 Trinity TX -- South
2005 Millikin -- Central
2006 Hope -- Great Lakes
2009 George Fox  -- West

04 Albion first round
05 Calvin quarterfinal
07 Calvin quarterfinal
08 Hope quarterfinal
09 Hope quarterfinal

Hardly suprising (either Hope or WashU being eliminated by the eventual national champion), since the Great Lakes and Central region have each had 7 champs in the last 20 years.  The South has had 2 in those 20 years, the West now 3. And the four regions on the East Coast combined, just one champ in 20 years. If Pat Coleman or Gordon Mann read this, perhaps they could give a national perspective--is D-3 women's basketball in the Midwest simply that much better than the east, or is there another explanation for this pattern?