Pool C

Started by usee, October 28, 2008, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usee

With the first regional rankings due out this week (and my team a possible candidate) I thought it was time to get this going.

d-train

Well, here's a listing of teams that could finish as a conference runner-up with just one blemish on their record. I'm not sure if it's a complete listing, so please add to this if I've missed some. For now, I don't see a lot of room for two-loss teams.

Trinity or Millsaps
Hardin-Simmons
Otterbein (or Mt. Union)
Wheaton
UW-Whitewater
Montclair St. or Rowan
Worcester Polytech
Redlands or Oxy
Hampden-Sydney
Wash. & Jeff.

redswarm81

Quote from: d-train on October 28, 2008, 01:48:53 PM
Well, here's a listing of teams that could finish as a conference runner-up with just one blemish on their record. I'm not sure if it's a complete listing, so please add to this if I've missed some. For now, I don't see a lot of room for two-loss teams.

Trinity or Millsaps
Hardin-Simmons
Otterbein (or Mt. Union)
Wheaton
UW-Whitewater
Montclair St. or Rowan
Worcester Polytech
Redlands or Oxy
Hampden-Sydney
Wash. & Jeff.

It might be a tad early for all of this.  Just in the East, I think the list also includes

Hartwick
Ithaca
RPI
Curry
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

Bob.Gregg

And, could there be a "B" team with only 1 loss that doesn't get picked there?

Case could have one loss and not get a "B".
Huntingdon could have one loss and not get a "B".

Don't think there's much more from there.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

dc_has_been

Trinity or Millsaps
Hardin-Simmons
Otterbein (or Mt. Union)
Wheaton
UW-Whitewater
Montclair St. or Rowan
Worcester Polytech
Redlands or Oxy
Hampden-Sydney
Wash. & Jeff.

\
I think UW-Whitewater still has a shot at taking the WIAC b/c Stevens Point still has to play Eau Claire on the road.  I would also put Cal Luthern in the mix w/ Redlands & Oxy.  Also, why is W & J in that mix?  Unless you think they will lose to Thomas More.
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

d-train

Quote from: redswarm81 on October 28, 2008, 02:18:49 PM
It might be a tad early for all of this.  Just in the East, I think the list also includes

Hartwick
Ithaca
RPI
Curry

Yeah, it's probably a week or two early - but I'm pretty sure the list is complete for the west teams. Though I should have noted that Redlands and Oxy could both finish at 8-1 with fellow tri-champ Cal Lu taking the auto-bid.

How does the list look for south and north teams?

d-train

Quote from: dc_has_been on October 28, 2008, 02:51:55 PM
I think UW-Whitewater still has a shot at taking the WIAC b/c Stevens Point still has to play Eau Claire on the road.  I would also put Cal Luthern in the mix w/ Redlands & Oxy.  Also, why is W & J in that mix?  Unless you think they will lose to Thomas More.

I'm not making predictions, just listing teams that could finish as a one-loss runner-up.

Sure, Whitewater is still in the hunt for the WIAC crown (with help). I don't have any reason to believe that Thomas More will beat W&J, I'm just saying that they could and W&J might still be alive.

Cal Lu can win the SCIAC, or earn the auto-bid as tri-champ, but not finish as a one-loss runner-up (because they also lost to Willamette).

Bob.Gregg

Well, here's a listing of teams that could finish as a conference runner-up with just one blemish on their record.

Quote from: dc_has_been on October 28, 2008, 02:51:55 PMAlso, why is W & J in that mix?

W&J COULD lose to Thomas More.  That would leave the Presidents as a conference runner-up with just one blemish on their record.  That was the whole premise of d-train's list.

dc_has_been

d-train- Sorry, I did not interpret that correctly. 

Thanks Bob for being an echo in the room. 
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

d-train

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on October 28, 2008, 02:47:20 PM
And, could there be a "B" team with only 1 loss that doesn't get picked there?

Case could have one loss and not get a "B".
Huntingdon could have one loss and not get a "B".

Don't think there's much more from there.

I suppose Northwestern (Minn.) as a '4th' Pool B...

Trine should also be on the list, though they could clinch a Pool A versus Adrian in two weeks.

K-Mack

Was thinking of doing this in ATN this week ... there are still a lot of teams out there though.

I guess it can't hurt to speculate & compile.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

union89

Trinity or Millsaps
Hardin-Simmons
Otterbein (or Mt. Union)
Wheaton
UW-Whitewater
Montclair St. or Rowan
Worcester Polytech
Redlands or Oxy
Hampden-Sydney
Wash. & Jeff.

Hartwick
Ithaca
RPI
Curry

Add Hobart....

Bob.Gregg

And here's why it too early to be doing this (at least one week too early):

Worcester Polytech
RPI
Hobart

That's 37.5% of the LL.

After Saturday, at least one will be off the "can finish as runnerup with one loss" list, maybe two.

Just taking up server space doing this list this early.

redswarm81

Quote from: Union89 on October 29, 2008, 12:25:09 PM

Trinity or Millsaps
Hardin-Simmons
Otterbein (or Mt. Union)
Wheaton
UW-Whitewater
Montclair St. or Rowan
Worcester Polytech
Redlands or Oxy
Hampden-Sydney
Wash. & Jeff.

Hartwick
Ithaca
RPI
Curry

Add Hobart....

I don't think Hobart can finish second in the LL with just one loss.  The only way that they can finish the season with one loss is to win out, and that would make them LL champions by virtue of a head-to-head win at RPI.  WPI would have a second loss in that scenario, to Hobart.
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

union89

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on October 29, 2008, 01:23:25 PM
And here's why it too early to be doing this (at least one week too early):

Worcester Polytech
RPI
Hobart

That's 37.5% of the LL.

After Saturday, at least one will be off the "can finish as runnerup with one loss" list, maybe two.

Just taking up server space doing this list this early.

Agreed....