All Americans

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), March 01, 2006, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Collinge

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 19, 2006, 08:55:55 PM[I don't know how to leave a post to check info without losing the post - help, anyone?]

Open a new window. 

And I think you mean Caleb Veldhouse.

Mr. Ypsi

Q,

I was all set to tell you that I was only soliciting nominations for those NOT listed (figuring that the 6 who are, are already veritable locks), when I checked again and saw that Simmons was nowhere on the list! :o

Certainly add him to the list for next year.

This gets back to a debate that I (at least) find quite interesting - assessing the merits of a 'solo' star vs. a 'star among stars'.  The 'solo' star has the statistical advantage of being the go-to guy, but the downside of being constantly double-teamed.  The 'star among stars' has to 'share the wealth', but has much better teammates to get him the ball.  (Other points on each side have been raised as well, but these were the main issues.)

This year, Simmons was (mostly) a solo star, while Freeman clearly was a star among stars.  Next year, the pendulum should swing quite significantly the other way.  Barring some sudden emergence, Zach should be THE go-to guy.

Any speculation national top centers (or even CCIW top centers!)?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: David Collinge on March 19, 2006, 09:49:25 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 19, 2006, 08:55:55 PM[I don't know how to leave a post to check info without losing the post - help, anyone?]

Open a new window. 

And I think you mean Caleb Veldhouse.

Thanks, David.

Yes, I meant Veldhouse.  But how many Veenstras have there been in the MIAA - I'm sure you can sympathize with my error!  (Except now I can't recall if they have been Calvin or Hope? :P)

gordonmann

He hasn't done enough to land a Pre Season All American spot yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyreek Byard at Lincoln blossom into a star by the end of the year.

Nick Shattuck (Ursinus) and Dont'a Sheldon (CNU) could do the same.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on March 19, 2006, 09:21:52 PM
The CCIW probably has two legitmate 2006-07 preseason All-American candidates, both big guys - 6-6 Anthony Simmons of North Central (18.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg, .559 FG) and 6-7 Zach Freeman of Illinois Wesleyan (16.2 ppg, 7.6 rpg, .599 FG).

It'll be three legitimate 2006-07 preseason All-American candidates if God tells Wheaton shooting guard Kent Raymond (15.9 ppg, 46.7% trey percentage as a freshman in 2004-05) that it's time for him to pick up a basketball again.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 19, 2006, 09:50:06 PMThis gets back to a debate that I (at least) find quite interesting - assessing the merits of a 'solo' star vs. a 'star among stars'. The 'solo' star has the statistical advantage of being the go-to guy, but the downside of being constantly double-teamed. The 'star among stars' has to 'share the wealth', but has much better teammates to get him the ball. (Other points on each side have been raised as well, but these were the main issues.)

This year, Simmons was (mostly) a solo star, while Freeman clearly was a star among stars.

Not true, Chuck. Check out North Central's scoring statistics:

Anthony Simmons: 18.5 ppg from 331 FGAs, 151 FTAs
Dan Walton: 16.7 ppg from 328 FGAs, 45 FTAs
Ray Vicario: 11.6 ppg from 248 FGAs, 53 FTAs
Adam Krumtinger: 10.3 ppg from 236 FGAs, 57 FTAs

The fifth and sixth members of the Cardinals' regular rotation, Adam Teising and Chris Drennan, took their fair share of shots as well. Simmons took slightly more than 20% of his team's total field goal attempts -- hardly the sign of a "solo star."  (He did shoot a higher percentage of his team's total free throws, slightly less than 31%, but that's not unusual for a dominant big man -- Freeman attempted over 29% of Wesleyan's FTs.)

The CCIW braintrust duly noted the contributions of Simmons' teammates by making Walton an All-CCIW second-teamer and Teising an All-CCIW third-teamer.

When Simmons was double-teamed, his teammates made the opposition pay for it. He was most definitely not a "solo star."
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

njlincolnlion

gordonmann:

I agree that Tyreek Byard, has the potential to be Lincoln's third straight First Team AA folowing in the footsteps of Jarrett Kearse, and Kyle Myrick.

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

Titan Q

Simmons was a "solo star" Chuck?  Glad Greg got to this one before me.  I almost fell out of my chair when I read that.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I suspect John Grotberg might slip onto the list somewhere.  Sure, he plays for Grinnell, but you guys need to see him play.  He's really, really good.

Mazeiri out at Redlands is in the same boat; although I haven't seen him in person.

I think Andrew Olson, from Amherst as well could garner votes, especially after his performance under pressure in the tournament.  Kroeger from Lawrence could be in this category as well.  Everyone I talked to was very impressed with his abilities.

Ray Bryant at Utica impressed everybody who saw him in the tournament.  He's very good.

Sam Wylie will be the leader for Lincoln next year and looks to get a lot of Myrick's shots.

Tyler Winford could get some looks out of Mississippi College; I hear good things about him.

Greg Badenhop and Ohio Northern should be back in contention next year again.

Carroll College returns a couple of good juniors, Nate Drury especially.

Others for consideration:

Zak Ray or Rob Stockwell from Bates could be in contention as they have the strongest core returning in the NESCAC.  Steve DeLuca from Brandeis is ready for a breakout as well; although probably not preseason.  Tony Barros (at UMass-Boston) and Cohen from Colby could also emerge in the NE.  Coast Guard has a trio of fantastic sophomores as well.  The kid, Hoyt, from Mt St Mary's is a scoring machine as is Johnson, from Wesley.  There's a kid at Macalester who was pretty good this year, too.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

TeeDub

Quote from: Hoops Fan on March 20, 2006, 10:00:36 AM

Sam Wylie will be the leader for Lincoln next year and looks to get a lot of Myrick's shots.

I'm anxious to see about this one.  Myrick garnered so much attention, that had to help Wylie.  Plus, Myrick was the one delivering him the ball for his shots too.  Sometimes it is different being "the man" than "the beneficiary".

David Collinge

Wooster's Tom Port, on the 4th team this year, is listed as a senior, but he has a year of eligibility remaining (he attended Miami U. [OH] as a freshman and did not play hoops, instead trying out for the football team as a punter.)  He has decided to return for his final "super-season" year next year.  So you can add him to the list of "underclassmen."

Another NCAC senior who intends to return to exhaust his eligibility is Wittenberg's 6'8" forward Dane Borchers, fresh off his all-tournament performance in the Final Four.  Borchers had back problems that caused him to miss a year earlier in his career.  He figures to be the focal point of Witt's offense next season, and should be a strong contender for All-America honors.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: David Collinge on March 20, 2006, 11:53:29 AM
Another NCAC senior who intends to return to exhaust his eligibility is Wittenberg's 6'8" forward Dane Borchers, fresh off his all-tournament performance in the Final Four.  Borchers had back problems that caused him to miss a year earlier in his career.  He figures to be the focal point of Witt's offense next season, and should be a strong contender for All-America honors.

Yikes!  I guess that changes things a little.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Mr. Ypsi

Greg (and Q),

I stand corrected!  Seemed like all the Chat was about Simmons - I failed to check the stats.  :-[

sac

Isn't Tom Port 6-7?  Isn't that kind of tall for a punter  :o ;)

Farmingdale......a horticulture school......am I the only one that caught this.  :D

Well since we're throwing out names for AA.........Veldhouse at Calvin will have a shot if he's the MAN which he may be next year.  He has the ability to get 20 every night.  I think the question at Calvin is what kind of talent will he be surrounded by.......no Draayer or Trewhella to draw some defensive attention.  But I do think he'll have a great year.

Hope's Steve Cramer has the talent but I don't think he'll get the numbers because of Hope's system.  Maybe an All-Region honor for him.

Zak Silas at Albion is another guy I'll put in the category of all-region potentiial.   The question at Albion is if an injured player comes back healthy and another kid who didn't play this year returns.  If so Zak will have some good help around him.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: sac on March 20, 2006, 04:21:35 PMFarmingdale......a horticulture school......am I the only one that caught this.  :D

I understand that they have a huge rivalry with their D3 neighbor Hunter College, a school that features a marksmanship major and has a very solid biathlon team.  ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Knightstalker

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 20, 2006, 04:30:50 PM
Quote from: sac on March 20, 2006, 04:21:35 PMFarmingdale......a horticulture school......am I the only one that caught this.  :D

I understand that they have a huge rivalry with their D3 neighbor Hunter College, a school that features a marksmanship major and has a very solid biathlon team.  ;)

Seeing as Hunter is in the middle of Manhattan they also offer a drive by major.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).