WBB: Liberty League

Started by Eliazabeth Brown, October 19, 2004, 07:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

My recollection is you're an NWC fan.

The conference has had multiple teams in the tournament frequently, but there wasn't a good case to be made for Whitman or Puget Sound to make the tournament this year.

Puget Sound lost to at-large contenders that were left out of the tournament (Trinity) and Whitman lost two out of three to Puget Sound and George Fox. Plus those games against non-D3 schools are killers in the NCAA's criteria, though I understand the geographic and budget limitations that drive them. With those limitations, the NWC teams either need to be a little lucky in who they draw in holiday tournaments (i.e. it was the wrong year to draw Bethel or Williams) or win more than 20 games to compensate for opponents like Multnomah Bible and Evergreen State.

Now, if you want to complain about hosting opportunities, that's still legit this year.

Gray Fox

I'm a SCIAC fan.  We will try harder.
Fierce When Roused

gordonmann

Ahhh.

I would've liked to see two SCIAC teams too. :)

BomberJeff

Bit of a mixed bag for the Liberty League teams.

Vassar gets overwhelmed by SUNY-Geneseo in the 4th quarter for a blowout.  RIT loses on a tough buzzer beater by Baldwin Wallace.  Ithaca meanwhile gets a massive 3rd quarter and coasts (somewhat) comfortably to a win over SUNY-Poly.

Have a feeling Ithaca is going to need to get firing a little sooner tomorrow in facing St. Joseph's (that was a pretty bad first quarter from both teams), but I think they do have that in them.

Bombers798891

IC's women's team continues to impress. Over the past 10 years:

--Nine 20-win seasons
--Eight trips to the NCAAs
--Seven trips to the second round
--Three trips to the third round

Dan Raymond's program is just consistently excellent. 

ronk

Coach Raymond is out-recruiting me.  :(  3 of his current starters and 1 coming in next year.

amh63

ronk....maybe your "recruit list" should be held closer to your chest? :)
My daughter works in Ithaca and lives nearby.  Lots of Amherst alums in the area.  A former one was the head of Ithaca HS.  Area sends a lot of talented athletes to the Nescac.  A number of years ago there was a guard on the WBB from Cortland.  Her parents were associated with Cortland Un.
Anyway, good luck with your school's " purple and white" dressed WBB team in the sweet 16.  Do not let the Tufts Jumbos push your team at Scranton.  Oh yes, HC of WBB at Amherst likes your list too.

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on March 04, 2019, 01:34:24 PM
ronk....maybe your "recruit list" should be held closer to your chest? :)
My daughter works in Ithaca and lives nearby.  Lots of Amherst alums in the area.  A former one was the head of Ithaca HS.  Area sends a lot of talented athletes to the Nescac.  A number of years ago there was a guard on the WBB from Cortland.  Her parents were associated with Cortland Un.
Anyway, good luck with your school's " purple and white" dressed WBB team in the sweet 16.  Do not let the Tufts Jumbos push your team at Scranton.  Oh yes, HC of WBB at Amherst likes your list too.

As does Tufts - 1 starter, 3 reserves, 1 incoming; Amherst has 3 starters, 1 incoming from northern VA.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The first Regional Rankings of the season are out and there are plenty of reactions ... and questions.

On Thursday's Hoopsville, we chat with a few programs who are in those rankings and others who know the best way into the NCAA tournaments is to win their conference. Plus, we find out how a fast break is a solid investment in giving back. And do you really understand the Strength of Schedule math and what is does, and does not, tell the ranking committees?

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE starting at 7:00 pm ET in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2OQhWxt (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/feb13)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

Thursday's show primarily covers the East, Great Lakes, Mid-Atlantic, and West Regions while also featuring a women's coach in the WBCA Center Court segment. All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Steve Lamie, Grove City men's coach
- Lucia Robinson-Griggs, Vassar women's coach
- Tonja Englund, UW-Eau Claire women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Justin Heinzen, No. 10 Loras women's coach
- Matt Snyder, SOS guru

Please also consider helping us out. We are accepting donations to the show - which many of you have asked about. We have an initial goal to hit $5,000 by Feb. 16. We are currently at $2,330.20.

To donate, click our PayPal link here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BSRFLPUJQ9MKL&source=url

And thank you for your contributions.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ithaca798891

Have to think the Bombers are strong favorites to win the LL auto-bid the way they are playing right now. Avenged both conference losses with blowout wins over St. Lawrence and RPI, and just took out 2nd-place Vassar by 19.

And although Pool C bids are always scarce, hopefully, Ithaca has done enough to be in good position for an At-large bid (Although Cortland beating New Paltz would have helped there) even if they falter.

gordonmann

Yup. Looks like they are peaking at the right now.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

stlawus

SLU women are having their best start to a season (5-0) since the '01-'02 NCAA runner up squad.   Great comeback win today against Hamilton.

stlawus

I really hope SLU women get more than 6 votes in this week's top 25 poll.  10-0 and coming off a 99-81 win on the road against Vassar.  They certainly deserve some more recognition in my opinion.