BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElRetornodelEspencio

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 16, 2016, 08:06:00 PM
West Region has had 7 champions.
West Region has only ~35 -38 teams, ~10% of D3.

The move to the new format is coming from someone above my pay grade.

Also, the ASC, the NWC and half of the SCAC have been members of D3 less than.20 years.

So they didn't need any advantages. But they're getting them.

Bishopleftiesdad

Otterbein has lost a player to Wooster Sam Severance.

Sam played in 16 games as a Freshman and 20 games as a Sophomore.
http://otterbeincardinals.com/cumestats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2016

My younger son played with Sam for one summer.

Dr. Acula

I noticed something interesting.  BW and Mount will play their OAC DH in FL on 3/11.  That's a full 2 weeks before the first OAC DH up north.  I don't recall seeing OAC teams play their OAC games down south before.

Bishopleftiesdad

Wooster, used to play Kenyon in Florida, on a regular basis for there first game. But Wooster has a later spring break. And Kenyon is in Florida for Two weeks.

Dr. Acula

I've seen NCAC schools do it.  The UAA played all of their conference games in FL.  I've just never seen the OAC do it.  It makes me wonder if there is a scheduling issue later in the season or something.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 10, 2017, 04:42:59 PM
I've seen NCAC schools do it.  The UAA played all of their conference games in FL.  I've just never seen the OAC do it.  It makes me wonder if there is a scheduling issue later in the season or something.

The SUNY AC and some Mid-Atlantic schools have also done this in the past.  the Midwest will have a mid season conference round robin which is an other interesting scheduling idea.

Dr. Acula

Preseason top 25 is out.  A quick skim for Mideast teams:

5)  La Roche
14)  Wooster
23)  Marietta

Adrian is just a few spots outside of the top 25.

The most surprising thing to me was someone giving Wooster a 1st place vote.  As in #1...in the country.

Dr. Acula

Running through Mount's schedule in FL.  Pretty predictable.

SUNY Poly (18-20)
Wartburg (34-13)
Nebraska Wesleyan (12-28)
Bridgewater (22-19)
DeSales (27-15)
BW (23-20)

Outside of the OAC DH the Raiders have a couple of pretty good teams based on last year's record.  But both of those are single games.  The rest are all the DH's.  This seems to be the MO for FL.  A couple tough games and then 8 against average or worse teams.  Now I'm not demanding a schedule like Etta plays or something because half the time Mount is pretty average themselves.  It is what it is.

Dr. Acula

The regular season is under way:

BW (4-0) and Ott (3-0) are out of the gate quickly.  Ott is playing their 2nd game against Alma currently so they could be 4-0 later today also.  And frankly, BW is blowing people out so far.  Their closest game is a 10-4 win over Anderson in the 2nd game of that DH (12-0 in game 1).

Speaking of Anderson that is Berg's only game played.  Anderson rallied late to win 12-11.

Cap swept Waynesburg yesterday in their first action.  They lost 7-3 to Augustana today.  Good to see Wellman back on the mound for the Crusaders. 

JCU dropped a pair to Allegheny.  Vargo started their opener, but a freshman (Fred Moore) started their 2nd game.  He went 5 and allowed 2 unearned.

Wilm actually opened last weekend.  They were swept in a 3 game set at Sewanee.  The Quakers only scored 5 runs total. 

Dr. Acula

I was poking around in some box scores.  BW has quite a few young guys throwing.  Harrison does a damn good job there.  He's got that program stocked.  Not saying they're gonna make another NCAA run this year, but that guy does a nice job.  There's really no drop off now that he's got it going. 

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 27, 2017, 11:43:14 PM
I was poking around in some box scores.  BW has quite a few young guys throwing.  Harrison does a damn good job there.  He's got that program stocked.  Not saying they're gonna make another NCAA run this year, but that guy does a nice job.  There's really no drop off now that he's got it going. 
I agree, he gets a lot of very good talent there. He recruited my son very hard, The school just was not the right fit.

Dr. Acula

Cap beat Alma and RHIT.  They're now off to a very solid 4-1 start. 

Dr. Acula

Cap beat Lyndon St(?) 9-0 and they lead them 3-0 in game 2.

Ott moved into the top 25 this week at #24.  They beat Neumann 5-4 to stay perfect at 5-0.

Bishopleftiesdad

Looking at Ott's schedule it looks much more stout this year than in the past. I am happy to see that.

Dr. Acula

The OAC really gets cranked up this weekend.  Multiple additional teams open.

Cap improved to 7-1 beating Neumann yesterday.  The Crusaders lone loss so far is to 8-1 Augustana.  Not sure how much stock to put in it, but it's a great start for their confidence if nothing else.

Ott also notched their 6th win yesterday.  They returned a lot of experienced arms and it's showing so far.