MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucket

Quote from: Old Guy on January 11, 2017, 12:53:13 AM
Just surfing, noticed that Colby knocked UMaine Fort Kent. Anybody on this board ever been to Fort Kent? It's the northernmost town in Maine. It's up there, 250 miles NORTH of Waterville, Maine, 4 1/2 hour drive. Patrick Stewart had 36 points for Colby(nothingbutnescac loves to show a pic of Patrick Stewart of Star Trek). Fort Kent is 15-3. Quick look at their roster showed six players from California, another from Phoenix, London, Rhodes, Greece. Think they visited before enrolling? Makes me cold just thinking about it. I grew up in Maine (Lewiston), which is Boca Raton by comparison.

Midd played them in soccer 5 years or so ago. Every player was from the Caribbean or South America.

NEhoops

Old Guy, I'm assuming you'll be pulling for the Panthers on Saturday, but seeing them play your hometown team in Alumni must be special for you, no matter what the outcome of the high level matchup. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Bucket on January 11, 2017, 11:00:15 AM
Just surfing, noticed that Colby knocked UMaine Fort Kent. Anybody on this board ever been to Fort Kent? It's the northernmost town in Maine. It's up there, 250 miles NORTH of Waterville, Maine, 4 1/2 hour drive. Patrick Stewart had 36 points for Colby(nothingbutnescac loves to show a pic of Patrick Stewart of Star Trek). Fort Kent is 15-3. Quick look at their roster showed six players from California, another from Phoenix, London, Rhodes, Greece. Think they visited before enrolling? Makes me cold just thinking about it. I grew up in Maine (Lewiston), which is Boca Raton by comparison.

Midd played them in soccer 5 years or so ago. Every player was from the Caribbean or South America.

Maine has a pretty sizable immigrant population that's incredibly diverse.  I imagine a state school could do really well catering to the children of that group.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

In a word... almost? HAHA

My family moved to Woodland (Baileyville), Maine near Calais just over 30 years ago (after growing up near Wrigley Field in Chicago). During my youth, I traveled to northern Maine for sports. Basketball at Houlton, Caribou, and Limestone especially. Tennis at Presque Isle along with Caribou as well. Even hiked Mt. Katahdin (well south considering) many times and canoed the Alagash lakes. I may have been to Fort Kent I believe for a hot second, but it is a little further away than Limestone and Caribou. Even from Woodland, it is a HIKE up there. I have a dear friend who's family has a place up in that neck of the woods. Can't usually get a hold of her even via internet up there. Up in that area, the French-Canadian accent Maine is known for is THICK to the point that I can't even understand them most times. Some day I do plan to actually drive up there as an older adult just to say I did it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 11, 2017, 12:43:23 PM
Quote from: Bucket on January 11, 2017, 11:00:15 AM

Maine has a pretty sizable immigrant population that's incredibly diverse.  I imagine a state school could do really well catering to the children of that group.

Having scholarships does wonders for recruiting internationally.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

amh63

Several comments in the lull before meaningful games in a couple of days.
Remember a poster on another board comment on how hard and far North the Maine school being discussed is to reach for a game.  Why would any Coach schedule a game there?  What is the incentive?
Posted earlier on the Mascot issue....a classmate who is on the selective committee was going for no formal Mascot.  Lord Jeff was an informal Mascot.  Also not stated in the issued criteria...was the rule that anything related to Lord Jeff or Jeffs was off the table! Based on another alumni voter to the committee met at Homecoming.  Yes, the Mascot issue is "rigged" :)

Treated to a number of fine games on TV to date.  Aside from the Clemson football win, there was the Hoosiers loss to the Terps last night in Maryland.  Packed house filled with celebrity sports fans.  FSU win over Duke with Coach K missing was another enjoyable D1 game.
Speaking of Maine..again...hung out many, many years ago with a former UMaine player.  Learned that Maine has a number of Indian Reservations and a significant Indian populations.  Mentioned that there are a lot of residents of Maine that have Indian links in their DNA..like his girlfriend. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: amh63 on January 11, 2017, 02:26:41 PM
Speaking of Maine..again...hung out many, many years ago with a former UMaine player.  Learned that Maine has a number of Indian Reservations and a significant Indian populations.  Mentioned that there are a lot of residents of Maine that have Indian links in their DNA..like his girlfriend.

Yep. The Passamaquoddy tribe had two reservations near our home in Woodland. One was the Passamaquoddy Indian Township about 15 or so minutes northwest of us (adjacent to Princeton if you are looking on a map) and the other being Pleasant Point (Passamaquoddy) which is on the way out to Eastport (eastern most city in the US). Very much a strong presence in the region. And much of the state is named after Native Americans and their tribes, from the rivers to the counties. Mt. Katahdin for example. Everywhere you turn there is some kind of Native American or tribal influence. And with such small populations, or really rather sedentary communities and families, the inter-mixing of communities is rather common. Also true for families to have both American and Canadian heritage and citizenship since the community my family moved to is immediately on the Canadian border.

For many on these boards, you might remember Ashley Marble from Southern Maine. She grew up in the same region as we were. Her mother was the principal at the Elementary School a quarter mile from our home - though, she became principal after I moved on to Middle and/or High School. But Marble played for the high school in our town - Woodland High (she was from the town of Topsfield, 30 minutes northwest if you drove without stopping).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gray Fox

Quote from: quicksilver on January 10, 2017, 11:48:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 10, 2017, 11:28:54 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 10, 2017, 06:32:13 PM
Quote from: nescac1 on January 10, 2017, 01:27:42 PM
D3 transfer rules are different.  Baines is eligible to play immediately.  I expect that he will be an impact player in that conference, which is not one of the stronger leagues in D3.

I don't think this needs to be said, but in case it does: he can play right away because he transferred between semesters.  If he had already played during a semester, he would have to sit out until the next.

A question I'd never considered before: schools generally play several games between semesters - for those games, is the transfer eligible at his old school, his new school, or neither?

He is eligible at his new school.
I'm happy to hear that.
Fierce When Roused

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 11, 2017, 03:42:44 PM
Quote from: amh63 on January 11, 2017, 02:26:41 PM

Yep. The Passamaquoddy tribe had two reservations near our home in Woodland. One was the Passamaquoddy Indian Township about 15 or so minutes northwest of us (adjacent to Princeton if you are looking on a map) and the other being Pleasant Point (Passamaquoddy) which is on the way out to Eastport (eastern most city in the US). Very much a strong presence in the region. And much of the state is named after Native Americans and their tribes, from the rivers to the counties. Mt. Katahdin for example. Everywhere you turn there is some kind of Native American or tribal influence. And with such small populations, or really rather sedentary communities and families, the inter-mixing of communities is rather common. Also true for families to have both American and Canadian heritage and citizenship since the community my family moved to is immediately on the Canadian border.

For many on these boards, you might remember Ashley Marble from Southern Maine. She grew up in the same region as we were. Her mother was the principal at the Elementary School a quarter mile from our home - though, she became principal after I moved on to Middle and/or High School. But Marble played for the high school in our town - Woodland High (she was from the town of Topsfield, 30 minutes northwest if you drove without stopping).

I remember Ashley from the 2005 Final 4, a very good player, with lots of effort. A few(5?) years ago, she finished 6-10? in the Miss USA beauty pageant.

lumbercat

Quote from: Old Guy on January 11, 2017, 12:17:58 AM
D3 transfer rules are different.  Baines is eligible to play immediately.  I expect that he will be an impact player in that conference, which is not one of the stronger leagues in D3.

Certainly an unexpected blow to Midd's program -- Midd fans now feel the pain that Hamilton, Tufts, and Williams fans have recently experienced.  Hart and Robinson's transfers pretty much killed Hamilton and Williams, respectively, for the next two years.  But Sabety's transfer may have actually helped Tufts by incentivizing installation of the four-out-one-in system, which has enabled Tufts to thrive in a way it did not with two uber-talented big guys playing together.  So, you never know ...

The only connection I could find between Baines and Occidental hoops is that a current senior at his former high school has committed to play for Occidental next season.

Baines's defection shows how uncertain all of our speculations and assumptions can be. I am dismayed because I so looked forward to watching his development at Midd. He had a tremendous "upside" (the cliche of the moment). A special player. From all reports he was a happy camper and a good teammate and student. We do genuinely wish him well (and if we are honest are glad that we don't have to face him wearing other colors).

On many levels, he will be missed. I have experienced Midd basketball for a half-century (amh63 is older!) and can't remember an era when the loss of a talent of Zach's caliber could be absorbed without devastating consequences. Midd's depth has provided an opportunity for others to emerge (Tarantino & Folger). 

Midd has a challenging weekend coming up - Tufts in Medford on Friday night and Bates in cozy Alumni Gym on Saturday afternoon. I'm off to Lewiston on Friday! Midd fans are blessed in hoop with this group.

Old Guy-

Hope you enjoy another one of your returns to the home turf.

As a reminder, get to Alumni early as it will fill up and they will sadly turn people away. The Lewiston Fire Dept has been vigilant in the enforcement of fire laws in recent years, they don't allow Alumni to really get packed anymore. As you may know the FD has prohibited access to the balcony on the campus end of the floor. That was a great perch where the Bobcat announcers called the game from "high above courtside". My favorite seat no longer exists as they have shut this section down due to lack of fire egress.

Alumni is a great old venue that is truly unique but it has lived a long life and has run its course. It's the second oldest gym in the NCAA (1927) behind only Rose Hill at Fordham (1925)-- which has been significantly renovated at least twice.

I think plans are on the table to replace Alumni.  I believe the intent is to preserve the historic structure while modernizing and expanding the overall facility but this is proving to be an engineering challenge. Lets hope they preserve the great history and don't follow the modern trend of oversized facilities with curtains and screens to separate the basketball court from a cavernous field house facility.

It's a great venue, lets enjoy it while it lasts.

Oh, one last thought Old Guy. Should you arrive late and be turned away at the gate something tells me you will find away to get in through the locker room below or a side door.......nobody knows that Gym better than you !

Even if you will be clad in Blue and White on Saturday..... welcome home.

middhoops

Great post, Lumbercat.

nescac1

+1 Lumbercat! 

Some more Bowdoin recruiting news:

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/commitment-catch-up-56

Last week, when we profiled the top prospects in the NHIAA, we mentioned that K.J. Matte had committed to Bowdoin after his ED1 application had been accepted. Matte, who is one of the top players in New Hampshire's state association, isn't the only local product in the Polar Bears' recruiting class as he'll be joined by Taft's Zavier Rucker. Matte is a playmaking guard with a definite flair to his game while Rucker, who serves as Taft's captain, is a gritty and hard-working player capable of playing multiple positions. That duo is joined by a pair of prospects from outside New England's borders as well. Any Ward, a 6-foot-11 center from Pope John XXIII High School in New Jersey, is on his way to New England after generating wide-ranging recruitment from scholarship levels in recent years as too is Sam Grad, a 6-foot-7 forward from Boulder, Colorado.

Besides Bowdoin, interesting to see on that report a strong New England player head to Swarthmore.  Swarthmore has really built, for I think basically the first time, a nationally-relevant hoops program under fourth-year head coach Landry Kosmalski.  It's certainly never before been in the same breath as Williams and Amherst, its top academic rivals, when it comes to hoops.  Swarthmore is now 12-1 vs. a respectable schedule and its top four players will all be back next year.  Swarthmore is not an easy place to recruit to -- not exactly known as an athletic hotbed and I've sensed never been huge on major academic concessions for recruits (although perhaps that has changed a bit).   Kosmalski is a name to watch when D1 opportunities at high-academic schools come open, after he so quickly built a contender despite difficult constraints. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: lumbercat on January 11, 2017, 08:25:23 PM
Quote from: Old Guy on January 11, 2017, 12:17:58 AM

Certainly an unexpected blow to Midd's program -- Midd fans now feel the pain that Hamilton, Tufts, and Williams fans have recently experienced.  Hart and Robinson's transfers pretty much killed Hamilton and Williams, respectively, for the next two years.  But Sabety's transfer may have actually helped Tufts by incentivizing installation of the four-out-one-in system, which has enabled Tufts to thrive in a way it did not with two uber-talented big guys playing together.  So, you never know ...

The only connection I could find between Baines and Occidental hoops is that a current senior at his former high school has committed to play for Occidental next season.

Baines's defection shows how uncertain all of our speculations and assumptions can be. I am dismayed because I so looked forward to watching his development at Midd. He had a tremendous "upside" (the cliche of the moment). A special player. From all reports he was a happy camper and a good teammate and student. We do genuinely wish him well (and if we are honest are glad that we don't have to face him wearing other colors).

On many levels, he will be missed. I have experienced Midd basketball for a half-century (amh63 is older!) and can't remember an era when the loss of a talent of Zach's caliber could be absorbed without devastating consequences. Midd's depth has provided an opportunity for others to emerge (Tarantino & Folger). 

Midd has a challenging weekend coming up - Tufts in Medford on Friday night and Bates in cozy Alumni Gym on Saturday afternoon. I'm off to Lewiston on Friday! Midd fans are blessed in hoop with this group.

Old Guy-

Hope you enjoy another one of your returns to the home turf.

As a reminder, get to Alumni early as it will fill up and they will sadly turn people away. The Lewiston Fire Dept has been vigilant in the enforcement of fire laws in recent years, they don't allow Alumni to really get packed anymore. As you may know the FD has prohibited access to the balcony on the campus end of the floor. That was a great perch where the Bobcat announcers called the game from "high above courtside". My favorite seat no longer exists as they have shut this section down due to lack of fire egress.

Alumni is a great old venue that is truly unique but it has lived a long life and has run its course. It's the second oldest gym in the NCAA (1927) behind only Rose Hill at Fordham (1925)-- which has been significantly renovated at least twice.

I think plans are on the table to replace Alumni.  I believe the intent is to preserve the historic structure while modernizing and expanding the overall facility but this is proving to be an engineering challenge. Lets hope they preserve the great history and don't follow the modern trend of oversized facilities with curtains and screens to separate the basketball court from a cavernous field house facility.

It's a great venue, lets enjoy it while it lasts.

Oh, one last thought Old Guy. Should you arrive late and be turned away at the gate something tells me you will find away to get in through the locker room below or a side door.......nobody knows that Gym better than you !

Even if you will be clad in Blue and White on Saturday..... welcome home.

Not to rain on your parade, but the Palestra at UPenn was opened Jan 1, 1927 - and I'm not sure how to count the gym where Northeastern plays - Northeastern bought it in the 70's, but it hosted college sports beginning in 1910.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

grabtherim

In my humble opinion, having been to all of the gyms in the NESCAC multiple times, nothing compares with the experience of a tight game played at Bates.  As a member of the crowd, you truly feel like you're part of the game.  You can see every gesture, hear every sneaker squeak, the fans, both the locals and students are fantastic, and the sight lines almost make you think you will see Gene Hackman and the Hickory team come trotting in at any moment.  The whole experience is awesome. 

WPI89

WPI played essentially every current NESCAC team every year back in the 80's.  My 2 trips to Bates were my favorite - despite the long bus ride.  Students were crazy but fun crazy - and felt on top of you the whole time..................in my memory Tufts was like that too - I may be wrong?  Do they play in the same gym now as the 80's?  Also - I do not remember ever playing Hamilton?