MBB: Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Nikki, March 03, 2005, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 14, 2018, 01:30:58 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 14, 2018, 01:19:12 PM
What a thug. Hope he never sees the court again and is suspended from school.

WTF

....and he's a Criminal Justice major (or was one)
As an (ex) Criminal Justice Major, he should understand that he just committed Assault and Battery – and should be praying that nobody's in the process of filing charges.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: phil on November 14, 2018, 03:10:21 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 14, 2018, 01:30:58 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 14, 2018, 01:19:12 PM
What a thug. Hope he never sees the court again and is suspended from school.

WTF

....and he's a Criminal Justice major (or was one)
As an (ex) Criminal Justice Major, he should understand that he just committed Assault and Battery – and should be praying that nobody's in the process of filing charges.

The campus police are investigating options. 

I'm just grateful he doesn't pack the punch of Kermit Washington, who nearly ended the life of Rudy Tomjanovich back in 1977.

nescac1

This board has (alas) now seen as much activity in the past day as it did in the previous decade ...

gordonmann

QuoteThe campus police are investigating options. 

I'm just grateful he doesn't pack the punch of Kermit Washington, who nearly ended the life of Rudy Tomjanovich back in 1977.

John Feinstein wrote a great book on that incident called The Punch where he details how it changed both people's lives. It was fascinating and sad how it changed both people's lives. Washington did not go to jail. He was not barred from the Lakers' facilities. He continued to play in the NBA. In fact he played during that same season -- his suspension was 26 games.

I don't know whether Platt's actions constitute assault. That's a legal question I can't answer.

I've been thinking about some of the most violent acts I've seen in sports -- pitchers intentionally hitting batters in the head with fastballs (or trying to do so), football players taking blind side shots at guys behind a play in the guise of "blocking" someone who has no chance to make a play on the ball, athletes who have straight up punched (or kicked or stomped on) an opponent. Other than the hockey player who took a stick to an opponent's head in an NHL game, I can't think of many who've been charged with assault.

It's not a popular opinion today and perhaps not one I can articulate well. But I don't know if Platt's actions -- which were terrible and cruel and way outside the lines of competition -- were worse than any of those other events. And I feel sad that he may be barred from finishing his education. This was a terrible foul and he deserved whatever punishment he gets in the basketball world, including getting kicked off the team if that's what the school decides.

But kicking him out of school, barring him from public property (which Fitchburg State is) and telling him that he doesn't deserve to pursue a future through college anymore? How does that help?

Greek Tragedy

He can pursue a future through college, just possibly not Fitchburg. It's a public property, but I'm sure they all sign some kind of waiver code of conduct. It's a knee jerk reaction, but not necessarily an overreaction. It's entirely possible that they let him return to classes, but not the team.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Flying Dutch Fan

Actions have consequences.  The school has its code of conduct or something similar.  Based on their statement on the matter, he violated that. To protect their student body, removing him from campus for a time (potentially permanently) seems to me to be just.   
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

WUPHF

Quote from: gordonmann on November 14, 2018, 11:49:06 PM
But I don't know if Platt's actions -- which were terrible and cruel and way outside the lines of competition -- were worse than any of those other events. And I feel sad that he may be barred from finishing his education.

I understand the point you are trying to make.

The problem for me is that I think that given what we know about traumatic brain injuries, the hit was not only terrible and cruel, but likely dangerous.

I am not sure why we tolerate a different level of violence in professional sports than we do elsewhere (mostly a rhetorical question), but I think sports will continue to evolve and we will eventually have to ask why we let players like Gronkowski continue to play after making hits like this against Tre'Davious White.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgjAN_wgmiI

Greek Tragedy

I'm guessing many, if not all, of Gordon Mann's examples of violence in sports are of the professional variety.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

phil

Gordon, he's obviously free to continue his education at another institution. However, think about the amount of wrong publicity Fitchburg just received involuntarily. I've seen the incident on ESPN, CNN, the Today Show, and on Sports Illustrated... and I wasn't even looking. Google "College Basketball Cheap Shots", and have a look at what Fitchburg will have associated with their name for years to come. They had to act swiftly. An over-reaction? Perhaps. But anything less than what they did could potentially have compounded the negative publicity.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

warriorcat

Wild opening night of Conference play in the MASCAC

Preseason rankings

1. Westfield State  lost at MCLA 76-82

2. Worcester State won at Salem State 85-58

3. Salem State lost to Worcester State 58-85

4. Fitchburg State - Bye

5. Bridgewater State lost at Farmingham State 65-70

6. MCLA won at home vs Westfield State 82-76

7. Framingham State won at home vs Bridgewater State 70-65

warriorcat

2023-24 MASCAC Post Season Awards

First Team

Precious Okoh - Bridgewater State

Quentin Gittens - MCLA

Brendon Hamilton - Westfield State

Juju Omot - Westfield State

Aaron Nkrumah Worcester State

Second Team

Emerson Haibleib - Bridgewater State

Dante Kikuba - Bridgewater State

Jaden Castillo - Salem State

Michael Makiej - Salem State

Ryan Rubenskas - Worcester State

Player of the Year - Aaron Nkrumah - Worcester State. 2nd consecutive year

Defensive Player of the Year - Brendon Hamilton - Westfield State - 2nd time in three seasons

Rookie of the Year - Juju Omot - Westfield State

Coach of the Year - Tyler Hundley - Worcester State - 2nd consecutive year -                                                                                                        3rd award in last four seasons