East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pg04

Pat,

Does the committee know enough about what is going on to leave out a team (such as cortland) because they know they are playing with a 4th string QB? (I know they won today with him, but can they be competitive in playoffs?  ) --- I know in D1 Bball sometimes teams on bubbles are left out for reasons such as that, but I'm not sure if they'd do such a thing in D3 Football.

AUKaz00

Quote from: portgrad2004 on November 11, 2006, 04:46:46 PM
Strike that, St. John's lost...  If one of the three teams, Hobart, Cortland, or Fisher, had to be left out, which one would it be??

Well, assuming that the committee is using the criteria of winning percentage within region as a primary measurement, I'd say that Hobart gets left out since they played fewer games and thus their 1 loss with leave them with a lower percentage than Fisher or Cortland.  I think that all three of those teams deserve to be in, but who really knows what the committee will decide.  I'd prefer Cortland though since then us Alfred fans could say we only lost to playoff teams.
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

PBR...

man dvc's loss to susquehanna really gets me.....this was a year there is not 1 dominant team and dvc could of really had a chance....

theoriginalupstate

Interesting scenarios now in the east....

My projection...

1) Wilkes vs 8.) Curry

4) Rowan vs 5) Union

2) Springfield vs 7) Cortland Hobart

3) St. John Fisher vs 6) Dickinson

gordonmann

Incidentally Cortland may be on the bubble now.

They are ranked below SJF and Hobart coming into this week, so that could remain the same.

Capital will have a higher ranking in the North.  Wheaton (Ill.) may, too.

HSU will in the South.  Perhaps Lax does in the West.

So you've got three teams -- Cortland, Franklin and SJU -- for one bid.

SJU losing mucks things up for the Red Dragons.

pg04

I think Cortland may also be left out not only because of the QOWI but the fact their QBs are injured.  I asked this before and didn't get an answer, but does the fact they are down to their 4th QB mean something in the selection process?

profs_fan

Allstater:

I liked the brackets you posted.  I would very much like to play Union at home and Wilks away. Would not be alot of driving for me and the Prof fans.

Rowan's execution on Friday night was the best all season.  The play calling opened the game up.  Mike O's leadership and passing ability with his freshmen receiver's finally clicked.  

Rowan has several Super Backs that rotate in and out. Same with receivers.
The Prof's don't miss a beat regardless who is on the field or off the field.

I've been a Prof's fan for 20+ years.  IMHO the program is in better shape now then ever before.    

IMHO the coaching staff is building a "TEAM' with quality freshman and student players of good character.  

Most of the games this year the Prof's won ugly.  I hope the playoff team 't that shows up this Saturday is the same team that showed up against William Patterson.  

met_fan

The fact that Cortland's QBs are hurt shouldn't have any bearing on whether they make the playoffs or not.  They should be judged by what they have done on the field, not what people expect them to do in the future because of injuries.

Bob.Gregg

I think Cortland's on the bubble at best, and it has nothing to do with their injuries.

The Red Dragons were the East #7.  1-6 all won, leaving little likelihood for moving up.

Hobart (E-5)
St John Fisher (E-3)
Hardin-Simmons (S-4)
Wheaton (N-5)
Capital (N-3)
Franklin (N-6)
and UW LaCrosse (W-5)

All Won,
All are higher ranked in their regions than Cortland, and
All have a higer QOWI than Cortland.

That's not good news for the Red Dragons.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: met_fan on November 11, 2006, 11:59:03 PM
The fact that Cortland's QBs are hurt shouldn't have any bearing on whether they make the playoffs or not.  They should be judged by what they have done on the field, not what people expect them to do in the future because of injuries.

Correct....

However your QOWI and Regional Rankings are below another Pool C team from the East....

Good luck....

met_fan

For the record, I have no affiliation with Cortland, and they may very well miss the playoffs.  My only point was that it won't be because their QBs are hurt.

pg04

Quote from: met_fan on November 12, 2006, 12:14:10 AM
For the record, I have no affiliation with Cortland, and they may very well miss the playoffs.  My only point was that it won't be because their QBs are hurt.

I know, I just wanted to make sure that wouldn't even be in the committee's mind when selecting...

XREDDRAGON77

Hobart has been the least impressive C team of the group.  They should be the bubble team.  The NJAC has been the top conference producer in the East due to Rowan's dominance.  I would be shocked if any of the other upstate schools could beat the Profs.  The LL is soft, their AQ should even be allowed in.
Taste It
Taste It!

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: XREDDRAGON77 on November 12, 2006, 12:17:46 AM
Hobart has been the least impressive C team of the group.  They should be the bubble team.  The NJAC has been the top conference producer in the East due to Rowan's dominance.  I would be shocked if any of the other upstate schools could beat the Profs.  The LL is soft, their AQ should even be allowed in.
Taste It

Blah, blah, blah....

So your in a conference with Rowan, big deal!

That justifies your selection over Hobart?

XREDDRAGON77

Thats actually how the pool C works Ding Dong.  The At Large is for the solid team who may be the runner up behind a stud squad.  Hence the NEFC getting overlooked year in and out when they are in a simialr boat.

Taste It
Taste It!