D3 soccer in Landmark conference

Started by sokermom, February 03, 2017, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter McGavin

After the first couple games of the season I think it is safe to say that the conference is a little down this year and is a toss up between 4 different teams with 2/3 being front-runners.

Etown and Scranton will be tough outs as always and Drew is emerging as a force. Catholic is close behind in that 4 spot and Moravian is also trying to creep into the picture. Susquehanna, Goucher, and Juniata all have lots of work to do once conference play starts.

NEPAFAN

According to a release from the conference Drew leads the nation in scoring offense.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Ejay

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on September 20, 2017, 08:18:51 AM
After the first couple games of the season I think it is safe to say that the conference is a little down this year and is a toss up between 4 different teams with 2/3 being front-runners.

Etown and Scranton will be outs as always and Drew is emerging as a force. Catholic is close behind in that 4 spot and Moravian is also trying to creep into the picture. Susquehanna, Goucher, and Juniata all have lots of work to do once conference play starts.

I'm on record as saying it's a 3 horse race with Drew, ETown, Scranton and then Catholic grabbing the #4.  If I had to pick 1-4, I'd go Drew, ETown, Scranton, Catholic

NEPAFAN

Quote from: EB2319 on September 20, 2017, 09:27:52 AM
Quote from: Shooter McGavin on September 20, 2017, 08:18:51 AM

Etown and Scranton will be outs as always and Drew is emerging as a force. Catholic is close behind in that 4 spot and Moravian is also trying to creep into the picture. Susquehanna, Goucher, and Juniata all have lots of work to do once conference play starts.

I'm on record as saying it's a 3 horse race with Drew, ETown, Scranton and then Catholic grabbing the #4.  If I had to pick 1-4, I'd go Drew, ETown, Scranton, Catholic

I think Moravian is in the mix. Let's see how the first weekend shakes out.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

franklyspeaking

Moravian and Catholic seem to be the two teams that will fight it out for the 4th spot.  I don't have much faith in Juniata and Susquehanna seems to be playing for next year if you look at the amount of freshmen they play.  Drew seems to be strong but Etown and Scranton will test that.

NJrexSoccer03

Has any one watched Trenton State this year? I wasn't that impressed by Drew. ThoughT Trenton State held there own against a team everyone thought was really good. The outcome favors Drew but not sure the game favored them.

Ejay

Quote from: NJrexSoccer03 on September 20, 2017, 10:16:04 PM
Has any one watched Trenton State this year? I wasn't that impressed by Drew. ThoughT Trenton State held there own against a team everyone thought was really good. The outcome favors Drew but not sure the game favored them.

Completely disagree.  I watched 2nd half and OT and I don't think TCNJ crossed midfield for the first 20 minutes.  Drew had numerous opportunities but the TCNJ keeper made several huge point blank shots. He's a quality GK.  TCNJ scored via an own-goal.  As I suspected, the Drew defense is suspect.  In the end, I thought the better team won, but I will agree that Drew didn't look too impressive.  Messiah would pick them apart.

Shooter McGavin

Etown's next 3 games will make or break them...@Drew, vs Messiah, vs Scranton. 

Currently sitting at 5-2-0. If they somehow drop 2 of these games they could be in a win the Landmark or bust situation. Let's assume they go 1-1-1 in this stretch. That lands them at 6-3-1 (4 blemishes) with 7 games left. IMO 5 blemishes is the magic number this year to be on the "safe" side of the bubble. 6 blemishes is in major bubble zone and 7 blemishes is more than likely not going to cut it pending the team's SOS and RvR.   

Just an example from last season...Hopkins was 12-3-3, .520 SOS, 1-2-1 RVR, 6th in region, 3 teams ahead got AQ leaving 2 teams which had 7 blemishes and 5 blemishes, both of which had higher SOS and better RvR than Hopkins and they were on the outside looking in. From the eyeball test I am unsure if Etown's SOS will be above .550 like last season and if the RvR will be worthy enough. Time will tell but this 3 game stretch has huge implications for them.   

Mid-Atlantic Fan

It's still very early for this kind of talk but I do agree that the next 3 games for Etown will have big implications of the work they will need to do the remainder of the yer.

NEPAFAN

Trenton State? Thought it was the college of new jersey.
Vince Lombardi

NJrexSoccer03

Quote from: NEPAFAN on September 22, 2017, 11:03:10 AM

Trenton State? Thought it was the college of new jersey.

Shows my age and that I'm a local who didn't agree with the name change.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Drew over Etown 6-0
Moravian over Scranton 2-0
Susquehanna and Catholic draw 0-0
Juniata and Goucher draw 2-2

sokermom

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on September 24, 2017, 08:37:52 AM
Drew over Etown 6-0
Moravian over Scranton 2-0
Susquehanna and Catholic draw 0-0
Juniata and Goucher draw 2-2

That Juniata vs. Goucher score doesn't reflect the game.  Juniata captured on two mistakes (give away in front of the goal by Goucher) and scored on both.  Goucher dominated in 2nd half and two OTs to come back from 2 goals down.  So many opportunities went begging for Goucher in OT to come away with win.  But they at least averted a loss.  Yeah, Moravian beating Scranton is a big surprise.

Shooter McGavin

The league is wide open after the first weekend results! Shocker that Drew was able to win by 6 goals!! WOW!  :o

franklyspeaking

Drew by 6 is more than shocking!  Scranton losing and Etown getting blown out makes for an interesting week for those teams.  A couple of ties by the other teams keep them in the conversation at this point.