MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Went into a building other than my own house for the first time in 2+ months this evening!  A gas station/party store for cigs etc.  I was quite appalled that the clear majority of customers (and one of the clerks) were not wearing masks and generally not distancing (to their credit, they had put up plexiglass screens for the clerks).

Titan Q

@MHMustangsBB
Congratulations to Senior SG  Perry Fullum on his commitment to continue his academic and athletic career at Millikin University! Hard work pays off!

* Perry Fullum, 5-10 PG (Maple Heights HS, OH) 14 ppg, 3 apg
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10492043/5e6590d7c119de0c20341e79

Mr. Ypsi

If anyone is still comparing COVID-19 and the flu, I saw a stat earlier today that blew my mind.  Barring a horrendous second-wave of COVID, we're not gonna come remotely close to the Flu pandemic of 1918-19 (which killed many more people than WWI, including basically wiping out remote Alaskan villages and other seemingly unreachable places), but in terms of the 'annual' flu: I haven't checked world-wide totals, or even national totals, but in Michigan the flu has killed 2,200 people total in the 21st century.  Slightly MORE Michiganders died of COVID-19 in a MONTH, and yesterday we went past 5,000.

Until we get an effective vaccine, this thing is NOT to be trifled with.  (And while so far just anecdotal, it MAY not come with herd immunity - reports are that at least 16 sailors on that aircraft carrier have re-tested positive after already having already had COVID.)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on May 19, 2020, 06:19:02 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 19, 2020, 11:59:25 AM
Bob, you left out Jordan Boyd, plus the kid from up north of Green Bay that I added here last week:

All I saw on Jordan Boyd is speculation here - nothing "official" from the kid.  I checked his Twitter and no tweet about committing to North Park.  So I didn't include him.

Well, none of these guys are "official" until they put in their deposits. And even then they can always back out.

I'm just trying to ascertain how you're making your list. That's why I mentioned Jordan Boyd, who had made a verbal statement about attending NPU but who, as I was already aware, had not tweeted anything one way or the other.

Payton Nelson's a different matter. He has actually sent in his money to Old Main (or whatever metonym one uses for the online version of NPU's business office ;)).

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 19, 2020, 10:51:03 PM
Well, none of these guys are "official" until they put in their deposits. And even then they can always back out.

I'm just trying to ascertain how you're making your list. That's why I mentioned Jordan Boyd, who had made a verbal statement about attending NPU but who, as I was already aware, had not tweeted anything one way or the other.

I put a kid on the list when there is some indication he's made a verbal commitment to a school.  That can be via:
* A tweet from the kid.
* A tweet from someone close to the kid (AAU program, HS coach, family member, etc).
* A newspaper article.
* A post from someone here who is in the know w/ confirmation of a commitment.
* Inside scoop giving to me by someone who has confirmation.

We didn't have that with Jordan Boyd.  We had:

Quote from: AndOne on May 14, 2020, 09:06:54 PM
Also, as was widely surmised, and under the heading of No big surprise, I have heard from a trusted source that there will be two Boyds suiting up for NPU next season.

That didn't seem very firm to me.  So I went to Jordan Boyd's Twitter account that same day.  Boyd had just recently tweeted about his brother's commitment to North Park, so I'm 99.9% sure he will tweet about his own commitment.  I found nothing -- and there is still nothing.

So I didn't put him on the list.

Titan Q

Payton Nelson's a different matter. He has actually sent in his money to Old Main (or whatever metonym one uses for the online version of NPU's business office ;)).

On this one I just didn't see your post.  When I did (yesterday), I added him to the list above.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on May 20, 2020, 07:25:50 AM

I put a kid on the list when there is some indication he's made a verbal commitment to a school.  That can be via:
* A tweet from the kid.
* A tweet from someone close to the kid (AAU program, HS coach, family member, etc).
* A newspaper article.
* A post from someone here who is in the know w/ confirmation of a commitment.
* Inside scoop giving to me by someone who has confirmation.

We didn't have that with Jordan Boyd.  We had:

Quote from: AndOne on May 14, 2020, 09:06:54 PM
Also, as was widely surmised, and under the heading of No big surprise, I have heard from a trusted source that there will be two Boyds suiting up for NPU next season.

That didn't seem very firm to me.  So I went to Jordan Boyd's Twitter account that same day.  Boyd had just recently tweeted about his brother's commitment to North Park, so I'm 99.9% sure he will tweet about his own commitment.  I found nothing -- and there is still nothing.

So I didn't put him on the list.

OK, thanks for explaining your methodology.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

On the bigger question of the list itself, though, I'm still of the same mind as Dave McHugh:

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 23, 2020, 01:49:45 PM
Let me preface my thoughts with this: Of the things I pay attention to in DIII, recruiting is at or very close to the bottom. The number of variables from start to playing (or not playing) are too numerous to count ...

Although I do take more of an interest in recruiting than he does, he's right that close to nothing that gets posted here vis-a-vis recruiting is a sure thing. Yes, the majority of the student-athletes you list are going to eventually show up for the first day of practice in the fall at the schools they've named. But the fact of the matter is that it's not a done deal; it's a still long way from a verbal commitment (whether tweeted or not) to actually stepping onto the court during a game (JV or varsity) wearing the uniform of the school to which the student-athlete had originally made that verbal commitment.

Having said that, I'm well aware there's a certain psychological and social impetus that comes into play when one makes his school decision public via a tweet or by sitting between Mom, Dad, and Coach for the cameras and signing one of those "celebration of declaration," or whatever they call it, forms that for a D3 recruit ape an actual scholarship-based letter of intent. And, since social media is part of the fabric of our lives now, everybody and his brother is going to be aware of verbal commitments as soon as they're made. Plus, there's always the question of at which point do coaches from other schools back off of a prospect and accept that someone else has landed him.

But, again, nothing is for sure at that point. A deposit is a major step towards donning that uniform on game day, because that chunk of money surrendered as payment to the school means that the student-athlete now has skin in the game in terms of following through on his prior declaration. But even a deposit can be written off as a sunk cost willingly ceded in light of a change of heart about which school one plans to attend. And this year, especially, there's vastly more uncertainty to the whole process than usual. To wit:

Quote from: y_jack_lok on April 23, 2020, 04:14:22 PM
Basic to this -- and obvious but heretofore not mentioned explicitily that I can find -- is how many students/athletes will be able to afford to return to school. With families impacted financially no doubt some will have to put education on hold. Will schools lower tuition and fees to minimize attrition? If so will they be able to stay afloat? At best there are likely to be measurable losses to faculty and staff. If students aren't in school, what will they do? Will there be jobs for them? We are in a downward spiral that it will take a while to recover from.

Plus, there's the question of the CCIW schools themselves. Will they open on time in the fall? (The early answer from the Magic 8-Ball is "Signs point to yes.") Will they have standard-format semesters -- meaning on-location learning complete with student housing, as well as athletics and other extracurriculars? And, since none of them exist in a vacuum, what if the parameters are different for one CCIW school, or for some CCIW schools. than they are for other CCIW schools? These discrepancies don't even necessarily have to be caused by anything inherent to the schools themselves other than simple location. Seven of the league's nine schools, and the vast majority of its students (and student-athletes), are located in a state that has been split into four regions by its governor, with each region on its own timetable with regard to passing through the various phases of social restriction prior to sounding the all-clear from Covid-19 quarantine. Four of the seven Illinois-based schools are located in the region that has the overwhelming majority of the state's Covid-19 cases (and fatalities), and it is plainly obvious that those four schools in the heavily-populated northeastern corner of the state are going to lag behind the other three, as well as the two Wisconsin schools, in terms of their social restrictions being loosened within the governor's protocol. While that is much more likely to affect CCIW fall sports, it will have an impact upon winter and spring sports as well -- because, again, it will affect incoming enrollment.

The point that I'm trying to make is that hardly anything is ever for certain in the world of CCIW recruiting -- and this year, that's more true than ever -- so that your lists, helpful as they are, need to be taken by the CCIW Chat reader with a grain of salt.

Kovo

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 19, 2020, 10:31:13 PM
If anyone is still comparing COVID-19 and the flu, I saw a stat earlier today that blew my mind.  Barring a horrendous second-wave of COVID, we're not gonna come remotely close to the Flu pandemic of 1918-19 (which killed many more people than WWI, including basically wiping out remote Alaskan villages and other seemingly unreachable places), but in terms of the 'annual' flu: I haven't checked world-wide totals, or even national totals, but in Michigan the flu has killed 2,200 people total in the 21st century.  Slightly MORE Michiganders died of COVID-19 in a MONTH, and yesterday we went past 5,000.

Until we get an effective vaccine, this thing is NOT to be trifled with.  (And while so far just anecdotal, it MAY not come with herd immunity - reports are that at least 16 sailors on that aircraft carrier have re-tested positive after already having already had COVID.)

Who knows if that is years away?

Yes, and I also saw that in Pennslyvannia yesterday they released their demographics that in excess of 50% of their deaths were people aged 85 or older.  This corresponds with Italy that reported over 50% of their deaths were people in excess of 90 years old and 90% of their deaths were people in excess of of 65 years old.  Clearly, those at risk need to be careful and protected.

But, how long do we keep healthy young men from playing basketball? And, under what conditions does the CCIW begin competition?  (Thought I would throw that out there since I'm presuming that is what the post had to do with CCIW basketball).

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 20, 2020, 10:38:38 AM
The point that I'm trying to make is that hardly anything is ever for certain in the world of CCIW recruiting -- and this year, that's more true than ever -- so that your lists, helpful as they are, need to be taken by the CCIW Chat reader with a grain of salt.

This year is one thing (for obvious reasons).  Who knows how/if the pandemic will affect who shows up in August...and if there will be any showing up in August at all.

But historically, I am not aware of any player I've ever put on such a recruiting list in March/April/May that has not shown up on campus.  I'm sure there might be a few examples over the years of a kid changing his mind after a Twitter announcement, but generally the accuracy rate here has to be about 95%+.  (Which, incidentally, is why I didn't add Jordan Boyd the other day.  I only want to add a name when there is a commitment.  I am very careful about who I put on the list.)

I think the grain of salt disclaimer is assumed, but I also think readers here can feel very good these recruiting lists are very solid.  (The great news is that when kids says they are going to School X, they almost always do.)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Kovo on May 20, 2020, 11:19:13 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 19, 2020, 10:31:13 PM

Who knows if that is years away?

Yes, and I also saw that in Pennslyvannia yesterday they released their demographics that in excess of 50% of their deaths were people aged 85 or older.  This corresponds with Italy that reported over 50% of their deaths were people in excess of 90 years old and 90% of their deaths were people in excess of of 65 years old.  Clearly, those at risk need to be careful and protected.

But, how long do we keep healthy young men from playing basketball? And, under what conditions does the CCIW begin competition?  (Thought I would throw that out there since I'm presuming that is what the post had to do with CCIW basketball).

I wasn't all that certain that it was. It could've just been Chuck trying to break up a lull by making conversation about what's in the news.

But it is pertinent to CCIW basketball, and I think that you and I are (properly, IMO) focusing Chuck's discussion of the bigger societal issue in that more relevant direction.

Quote from: Titan Q on May 20, 2020, 11:25:10 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 20, 2020, 10:38:38 AM

This year is one thing (for obvious reasons).  Who knows how/if the pandemic will affect who shows up in August...and if there will be any showing up in August at all.

But historically, I am not aware of any player I've ever put on such a recruiting list in March/April/May that has not shown up on campus.  I'm sure there might be a few examples over the years of a kid changing his mind after a Twitter announcement, but generally the accuracy rate here has to be about 95%+.  (Which, incidentally, is why I didn't add Jordan Boyd the other day.  I only want to add a name when there is a commitment.  I am very careful about who I put on the list.)

I think the grain of salt disclaimer is assumed, but I also think readers here can feel very good these recruiting lists are very solid.  (The great news is that when kids says they are going to School X, they almost always do.)

I'd put the accuracy rate a tad lower than that, but, yes, it is quite high.

I'd like to think that the grain-of-salt disclaimer is assumed by the readers of this room, but you know what they say about assuming things. I thought that the disclaimer was worth reiterating. Consider me the guy who puts the fine print under your recruiting posts. ;)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: lmitzel on May 17, 2020, 02:10:32 PM
I saw on my Twitter feed last night that Millikin is redoing the floor color at the Griswold Center. Honestly... I kinda dig it.

Reminds me of Marymount (Va.) court ... neat look.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Titan Q

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Titan Q on May 21, 2020, 12:58:52 PM
The completed floor at the Griswold...

https://twitter.com/MillikinWBB/status/1263270456540487680?s=20

Ryan Scott is going to hate this.

I love it and will be glad to watch Millikin basketball with the sound off.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Titan Q

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 21, 2020, 01:12:19 PM
I love it and will be glad to watch Millikin basketball with the sound off.
Ha!!!