FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

The SCAC gets its seventh (sadly non-football) member, Schreiner, in '13-'14:

http://scacsports.com/news/schreiner_joins_scac

Ensures the conference will keep its pool A bid for those sports where it has enough participants to qualify.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 23, 2012, 02:51:13 PM
The SCAC gets its seventh (sadly non-football) member, Schreiner, in '13-'14:

Perhaps football will be reinstated in Kerrville. As a junior college, Schreiner had its share of gridders looking to boost their GPAs in hopes of an eventual scholarship at some four-year venue.

cush

I could see the scac increase its numbers by following the same game plan, bring in say University of the ozarks or TLU or both.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: cush on January 23, 2012, 11:22:32 PM
I could see the scac increase its numbers by following the same game plan, bring in say University of the ozarks or TLU or both.

I wonder if, with the UAA affiliate option no longer being in play, if the SCAC is now more aggressively pursuing schools in this part of the country.   TLU would be the next school on the list, you'd think, but who had Schreiner on their list before yesterday's announcement? 

If TLU could be added, you would get travel partners like:

• Trinity/Schreiner
  • TLU/Southwestern
  • UD/Austin
  • Colorado/Centenary (oops)

Gonna cut down on travel costs, that's for sure. 

cush

Trinity/Schreiner
    TLU/Southwestern
    UD/Austin
    Ozarks/Centenary
    colorado/westminster (utah)

The tipping point of texas school's might have been reached to bring in TLU but finding a home for football is a problem for all school's. Ozarks is a small school but has big endowment for its size with maybe more Walmart/walton money coming in the future, they seem like an easy school to pick off to increase numbers. I'm not sure CC will even stick around d3 but the article in the cc newspaper awhile back said westminster was interested in the scac. Travel would be a pain but it might keep CC around and bring up numbers to 10 with nice travel partners. Out of those 10 only 4 have football programs, so that is a problem but the #'s are there for other sports.

Ralph Turner

As it stands now, the SCAC needs another baseball school and softball/women's soccer school!

Colorado College doesn't have any of those sports!

litig8r187

There are 6 schools playing women's soccer, softball and baseball.  Trininty, Southwestern, U of D, Centenary, Schreiner, and AC.  What is needed to maintain AQ in those sports?

Ron Boerger

Like Ralph said, one more school.   They can maintain the bid a year (or two?) while reforming but the clock starts next season.

TLU offers all three sports.  ;D

cush

University of the Ozarks also offers those 3 sports and would seem like an easy get. TLU might have issue with where football goes but i don't see the problem with offering both a spot to get to 9 members to protect the scac at 8 members if cc moved to d2. The ASC would still have plenty of members and could possibly offer huntingdon but travel might be too difficult.

Shoreman

Trinity leads conference in members of Fall Academic Honor roll with 90 athletes. Pretty impressive numbers for the whole conference.
http://scacsports.com/inside_athletics/honor_roll_files/11fallallacademic.pdf

etg

(El Tea Gray--re: 2012 Trinity Tiger Football Scherdule)

The ten-game regular season 2012 Trinity Tiger Football Schedule is posted on the Trinity Football website.

Guess what?   The Cru is back on Sat. 9/22/12 in San Antonio at 6 p.m.

:o

evacuee

Alright, well then I'm confused.  I thought the whole idea behind seceding from the SCAC was to reduce travel to places such as Colorado and Texas.  Yet everyone is still playing Trinity. 

Ron Boerger

The SAA and SCAC agreed to keep playing football for one year due to the difficulties in trying to line up replacement games with less than a year's notice.  Austin has their '12 schedule posted and Sewanee, Rhodes, and Centre all go to Sherman. 

With Berry and Hendrix starting football in '13 and Chicago/WashU in '15 the number of SAA schools heading to Texas will rapidly decline. 

tigerguy

Just out of curiosity, do other schools spend good money on making highlight films at the end of the year? I know at Trinity a senior on the football team made theirs - turned out pretty nice. I didn't know if other football departments hired professionals

Ron Boerger

Southwestern hires an appropriately-named coach, Joe Austin.  Quite a coup, as Austin is the current h/c at Hanover.

http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/austin_named_southwestern_coach