Hoopsville: Division III Basketball's Talk Show

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, January 07, 2011, 05:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gleich

A couple of points after listening to this afternoon's broadcast...

You mentioned that Stevens Point and and St. Norbert are playing each other in both the men's and women's tournaments in the first round...

Well, last year, Stevens Point and St. Norbert met in the second round... in both the men's and women's tournaments.

The question was also raised if the SNC/UWSP men's game would be a defensive battle... Well, they're Point is #6 and Norbs is #8 in scoring defense and Norbs is #12 and Point #31 in field goal % defense...

But UWSP is #1 in the country in (offensive) field goal %. St. Norbert is 105th.  UWSP is 14th in turnover margin... Norbs is 91st. 

I think both defenses are going to make it tougher to score than usual... but UWSP's offense is on a different starting level.  Last year, Stevens Point won 63-48... the offense wasn't up to "par" for SP (74 per game last year) but the depth really helped Point... 5 guys scored 7 or more last year.

The pace will be diminished and so because of this, you likely won't see a 20 point game, but I also think Stevens Point will score in the upper 60's or low 70's.  FWIW, SP has failed to reach 71 points 3 times this season... in their 3 losses.

UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Ralph Turner

The Wisdom of Hoopsville...

Pat Coleman, Feb 28, 2011, Match-up Monday special broadcast, beginning at the 7:00 mark...

"...it is always seemingly easier to build the bracket, starting from west to east, just because of the way, you know, the geography breaks down.  There are always so many teams up in the Northeast.  And when I got to the end, I had like ... 12 teams umm... to kinda spread across the bottom of three brackets, and none of them, frankly, were any good at all."

Ralph Turner

Shucks, I tried to find my previous posts on the Wisdom of Hoopsville and realize that that message board may have been deleted.  I cannot find those posts anywhere!

Ralph Turner

The Wisdom of Hoopsville

"You wanna play that Thrusday game."

--Hoopsville opening theme

(Please help me with the origins, date and speaker for this pearl.  I cited the quote on the Pool C board back in 2009.  UTD actually beat Trinity TX on their way to the Elite 8.  UTD lost Guilford in OT.)

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 05, 2009, 02:28:11 PM
Quote from: David Collinge on March 05, 2009, 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: Old School.... (Tom Doebler) on March 05, 2009, 10:06:00 AM
TEAMS WITH 1st ROUND BYES
Puget Sound-(C)
Texas-Dallas-(A)
Ithaca-(C)
Middlebury-(A)
As you can plainly see, awarding byes on the basis of geography rather than merit is just a bunch of caca.
QuoteYou wanna play that Thursday game.

--- The Wisdom of Hoopsville

If wish that UTD had played on Thursday.

If I am a high seed, and I am getting a "lower half seed" at home, then I want to play the first round game!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 01, 2011, 11:06:24 AM
Shucks, I tried to find my previous posts on the Wisdom of Hoopsville and realize that that message board may have been deleted.  I cannot find those posts anywhere!
Sorry Ralph - I deleted the board (or asked for it to be done) for the simple fact that we were starting a new season and the old board was a bit stale! :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 01, 2011, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 01, 2011, 11:06:24 AM
Shucks, I tried to find my previous posts on the Wisdom of Hoopsville and realize that that message board may have been deleted.  I cannot find those posts anywhere!
Sorry Ralph - I deleted the board (or asked for it to be done) for the simple fact that we were starting a new season and the old board was a bit stale! :)
Thanks.

Pat's comment about how he fills a bracket is priceless.  I think that is how and why his brackets make so much sense.

Maybe his wisdom, as read by the intelligentsia of the sport, will be reflected in future brackets!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 01, 2011, 11:25:03 AM
The Wisdom of Hoopsville

(Please help me with the origins, date and speaker for this pearl.  I cited the quote on the Pool C board back in 2009.  UTD actually beat Trinity TX on their way to the Elite 8.  UTD lost Guilford in OT.)

Puget Sound-(C)
Texas-Dallas-(A)
Ithaca-(C)
Middlebury-(A)
As you can plainly see, awarding byes on the basis of geography rather than merit is just a bunch of caca.

If I am a high seed, and I am getting a "lower half seed" at home, then I want to play the first round game!

That's me, from the 2005 Selection Sunday night broadcast, responding to a comment from a Buena Vista fan complaining that they did not get a first-round bye. In the 48-team bracket I think getting your feet wet is very helpful, and especially for a program that had accomplished what BVU had to that point.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

John Gleich

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 01, 2011, 03:36:32 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 01, 2011, 11:25:03 AM
The Wisdom of Hoopsville

Puget Sound-(C)
Texas-Dallas-(A)
Ithaca-(C)
Middlebury-(A)

That's me, from the 2005 Selection Sunday night broadcast, responding to a comment from a Buena Vista fan complaining that they did not get a first-round bye. In the 48-team bracket I think getting your feet wet is very helpful, and especially for a program that had accomplished what BVU had to that point.

I can attest to that, too... we got spanked at home by Gustavus Adolphus after a first round bye and a really good regular season in 02-03.  We didn't have as good a regular season in 03-04... so we hosted Benedictine in that Thursday game before traveling back to Gustavus on Saturday.  I think that in 02-03, the experience really got Gustavus ready to come to SP... and it propelled them to the Final.

For us, the Thursday game in 03-04 really helped us get our feet wet... and it gave us the confidence to go into Gustavus and grind out a tough victory.  And for us (not sure about Gustavus...) the game against Gustavus was really a marquis win.  It showed us that we could compete with the best.  And I think that it allowed us to take the best that Lawrence and Williams had to throw at us and respond.

The next year, in 04-05, we had the experience... we really didn't need the Thursday game and I actually think we benefitted from it.  We got to rest while Lawrence had to travel to St. Peter to play at GAC... and then turn around and plat at Stevens Point two nights later.

For this reason (though it's this reason only...) I like the pods.  Instead of a team having to travel on Thursday and beat the home team and then turn around and travel again on Saturday to take on another home team, that team has the luxury of only 1) having to travel once 2) getting an extra day to prepare for the first opponent and 3) getting a few extra hours rest after playing the early game for the contest on Saturday night.

But I don't like how half of the teams get a home game taken away from them.  If they played well enough to earn that first round home game, then they should get the extra advantage... they shouldn't be penalized...  Truly, the pod host has a distinct advantage in both of their games and the next-best team in the pod (the other would-be host) has a neutral game and then is the visitor.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Ralph Turner

Gordon Mann recalls the success of the Great Lakes and Central Regions for Women's Championships.

2010  WashU (UAA) -- Central
2009  George Fox (NWC) -- West
2008  Howard Payne (ASC) -- South
2007  DePauw (SCAC) -- Great Lakes
2006  Hope (MIAA) -- Great Lakes
2005  Millikin (CCIW) -- Central
2004  Wilmington (OAC) -- Great Lakes
2003  Trinity TX (SCAC) -- South
2002  UWSP  (WIAC)  -- Central
2001  WashUStL (UAA) -- Central
2000  WashUStL (UAA) -- Central
1999  WashUStL (UAA) -- Central
1998  WashUStL (UAA) -- Central

(I really could not stop at the last 10 seasons with the WashUStL run.)

The SCAC has had 2 unique champions.

Ralph Turner

Hoopsville tonight...

I thought that the committee did a good job.  They agonized over the last 4-5 teams and who was getting into the tourney.  We cannot ask anymore than that.

;)
The committee has problems with the Sunday Tournaments.

I have a suggestion...Give the 15-team ASC 2 bids.  That way, we can have 2 four-team tourneys, conduct the tourneys on Friday and Saturday and be done a day earlier.   ;D

Ralph Turner

I bring this question from the ODAC board where the lamentations of the RMC fans are plainly read.

I ask the opinions of the Hoopsville BrainTrust.

How much home court advantage is there against a team:

that buses less than 3 hours?

that buses more than 3 hours?

that is flown to the site?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 06, 2011, 01:09:49 PM
I bring this question from the ODAC board where the lamentations of the RMC fans are plainly read.

I did not hear any opinions on the show(forgive me if I missed it) and had no responses on the ODAC board.

How about 3 points for less than 3 hours, 4 points for more than 3 hours and 7 points for a plane flight?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 07, 2011, 12:05:51 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 06, 2011, 01:09:49 PM

I did not hear any opinions on the show(forgive me if I missed it) and had no responses on the ODAC board.

How about 3 points for less than 3 hours, 4 points for more than 3 hours and 7 points for a plane flight?

I'd be interested in your rationale for 7 vs. 4 for a 2 hour plane flight vs. a 9 hour bus ride?

I'm just not sure this is an advantage that can be simply quantified.  Home court has so many factors that will vary from court to court (and team to team).  There are the physical factors (lighting, shooting background, 'deadspots' on the floor 'feel' of the rims), the physical/psychological factors (staying in your normal routine, not getting 'stiff' on the bus), and the psychological factors (the adrenaline rush of the home crowd, the confidence because it is home).  I'm guessing that these (and other factors not mentioned) vary so widely that trying to put specific numbers on the difference is an exercise in futility.

And there are always those teams that take great pride in being 'road warriors'! :D

Ralph Turner

Any trip under three hours is probably close enough to have some fan following.

The 200-499 mile range is another issue.  The eight-hour bus ride is a problem, but you may still have some fan support, and a few students can pack themselves into a vehicle to make the trip.

Coach DeWeese stated last night on Hoopsville that UMHB will leave Belton, TX at 3am on Wednesday morning to catch the 6 am flight out of Austin, TX.  I suspect that the flight will land in Moline IL.  (Is that a charter?)  Then the bus ride to the campus, 2 nights in the hotel before the game.  That is considerable disruption.

The factor that one has not covered is variations in officiating styles around the country.  There is a huge difference in the style of play that is tolerated in Texas versus the styles that I have witnessed in the CCIW, when ASC teams have gone there.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Though, we shouldn't forget Coach DeWeese's great point he thinks his team will be in the game against Augustana for maybe five minutes - he was being humerous... which lead to more humor throughout the interview. For example, he won't be going to the game... wants his asst. coach to text him during the game! :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.