Mid-East Region 2014

Started by Pops33, February 13, 2014, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pops33

I know that some of the other regions have started playing games already.  Who are the first teams to get started in the Mid-East Region?  I am anxious to see the season get started.  Let's play ball!!

ADL70

CWRU vs JCU in Beckley WV 2/21
then to Greensboro for Guilford (2) and F&M 2/22-23
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ADL70

Spartans finish the weekend southern swing 4-0.  Adding a 18-3 win over F&M and 13-12 win over home team Guilford today to Friday's 8-7 win over JCU and Saturday's 23-11 over Guilford.

Sr 3B Gronski has a BA of .714 and SLG% 1.19  2 2B  1 3B  2 HR  10 RBI

So 1B/DH Noah Sherman who missed last season due to injury did almost as much in fewer than half Gronski's ABs,  BA ,667  2 2B  2 HR 10 RBI

Concerns over a power shortage, with all 11 of last year's HRs and half the 2Bs having graduated with Keen, Pakan, and Ossola, proved unfounded, as six players totaled 10 round trippers already.  Jr Gronski, Sherman, So C Jordan Swisher, and Sr SS Andrew Frey each contributed 2 a piece.

Pitching was feast or famine with a few excellent outings and other disappointing ones.  Two starters, Sr LH John Fortunato and So RH Neal Krentz, each went 5 innings for wins.  Fortunato held Guilford scoreless on four hits, while Krentz gave up 2 ER on four hits.  Outstanding relief stints were turned in by Jr RH Robert Winemiller (4 IP  2 H  0 R), Fr RH Jake Shields (3.2 IP  3 H  0 R), and Fr LH Andrew Rossman (2 IP  1 H  0 R).  Other had control issues with a total of 27 BB and 4 HBP in 36 frames.

Next weekend's series with Wooster looks kinda doubtful with another cold blast coming down.  Then it'll be eight games in seven days in Fla at the UAA's March 9-15.  CWRU and WUStL are defending co-champs.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Pops33

CWRU is definitely coming out of the gates strong!  They look like a major contender in the region in 2014, following a successful 2013.  I was very much looking forward to seeing the outcome of this weekend's games vs what is supposed to be a strong Wooster team.  As you stated, the weather may not let it happen.  Hopefully they will re-schedule.

Bishopleftiesdad

A few more teams started last weekend.
Wabash went 1-2 down in Arkansas, vs Hendrix. Allegheny split with John Carroll in Beckley WVA.

A lot of other teams start this weekend.
OWU vs. Ohio Christian,
Denison vs. Muskingum
Kenyon heads down to Florida for their 2 week Spring Break, and starts out with Augustana
Witt against Mt. St. Joseph down in Cinci.
Depauw takes on Andersen and Marietta

Oberlin and Hiram do not start games till the week after.

And Wooster of coarse has already been mentioned.

Spence

Will be interesting to see if Rossman gets more innings later in the year. Guessing they'll definitely need him at the UAA's in Florida.

Prep Baseball Report did a Q&A with him and he said he chose between Case and Marietta. Don't know how high a priority he was for MC, but I doubt he was an afterthought considering he's a 6-foot lefty that threw 82-85 last summer.

ADL70

This weekends series with Wooster now listed as "postponed."

The UAAs tax the pitching staff. Five and maybe six starters are needed.  CWRU has single games on 3-9, 10, and 11; and two on 3-12; then one each 3-13, 14, and 15.  That is, if no games are rescheduled by rain.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Spence

Yeah thats why I figured he would get a start or at least significant mound time.

Marietta's 4 games this weekend also cancelled. They have use of a field secured for the weekend but no opponents.

Maybe Case and MC will end up facing off this weekend. That would be a fun way to start the year.

Bishopleftiesdad

Depauw and Anderson both cancelled? OWU has a game in Chillicothe, temps currently are listed as being in the low 40's

ADL70

You get you wish Spence.  Sat Sun doubleheaders in Beckley WV   Don't know if they'll be  9&9 9&7 or 7&7

Marietta will have streaming audio per their site.  12 and 2:30 each day
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Spence

Just made sense. Big boost in strength of schedule for both teams, I think.

Didn't know if they would play 2 or 4. No idea on game length.

EttaFan1

Looks Like it is Dennison, Marietta, and Case playing two each on Saturday and Case and Marietta playing a Double header on Sunday. 

11:00 Sat Dennison vs. Case
1:45  Sat Dennison vs. Marietta
4:30 Sat Marietta vs. Case

Sun 12:00 and 2:30 Case vs Marietta

So 5 scheule meetings between Case and Marietta this year. 

Spence

Gah. I dislike playing Denison because I don't want to root against Deegan.

But it helps both DU and MC get some diamond time in before going south.

Really interested to see what Marietta does as far as pitching in a setup like this. Looks from the schedule times like 7 inning games?

ADL70

Sunday trip home weather looking iffy.  Wonder if Sunday gets cancelled?  Drat! I was thinking about going down for both days.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ADL70

Hope about showing a little M-E love and vote for CWRU's Jordan Swisher on the d3baseball.com Fan Poll.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO