FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BULLDOGALUM52

Private Schools have many advantages over a public schools, however total cost of attending will probably not ever be in that category of "advantages."

For $80, I would have suspended maybe some pay, or maybe a game, but I think the "harsh sentence" by the school was more precautionary.

Don't remind me of UCLA's woes....I am going to see them playing against the University of Arizona at the Rose Bowl...although when I went to the USC game, Virginia's defensive line was not big at all. I thought Mount Union's Dline and some past SCIAC DLines would give USC's oline a run for their money...

Speaking of dominating....I will be tailgating at the Redlands/Whitworth game this weekend, if anyone is interested...Im trying to bring my dish and tv to watch some games while studying some "Poetic Law" (I am a Whittier Law Student)
There will be In-N-Out as well as Hanger 24 Brewery Beer for sale! So let me know...

Today's "Bold Prediction"- Selway will be able to play all four quarters.
Go Dogs!
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.

D O.C.

OMgosh..Reggie Wildoff,please come home.
(bet it was a public school kid involved)   ;)

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 15, 2010, 12:32:27 AM
Crash:

Remember, it was the school that suspended him. The NCAA may indeed have been more lenient if it had handed down punishment.

I stand corrected....As usual I talk before I have the facts....The Coach works for Occidental so they have the right to discipline their employees so there may be more their than is being made public here...

I still feel the NCAA has too many confusing and complex rules that are somewhat ridiculous for petty items but many times the larger items go unpunished.  At times I believe they make things more difficult for the student athletes with their rules.  The complexity and numerous rules make things difficult for both the student athlete and most coaches to understand and know without a law degree.

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

OxyBob

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 15, 2010, 12:32:27 AM
Remember, it was the school that suspended him. The NCAA may indeed have been more lenient if it had handed down punishment.

Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi was treated better than Widolff.

OxyBob

scandihoovian

Less than timely, I know, but I had a variety of thoughts on topics discussed since Saturday's game...

It was every bit the barn-burning, rip-snorting, humdinger I was hoping for, but as Kingsmen91 pointed out, it sure didn't look that way when I got there, which was just before the Kingsmen, down 21-7, committed on offsides penalty on 3rd and ten that gave Linfield a second chance, which the Wildcats quickly turned into another touchdown.  Hope was slightly revived when the Kingsmen had a nice scoring drive, followed by a fumble recovery on the kickoff.  I really thought, though, when CLU failed to get any points out of their final possession of the half, that they'd missed their best chance to really climb back in the game.

So, I walked across the field to say hi to Bob and D.O.C., and I got to meet DC1 and some other friendly Linfield folks, which was nice, and I thought "well, at least it's a nice day to be out here at MtClef Stadium..."

The fact that the Kingsmen came out of halftime and went three and out made me even more sure they were done.  I was, of course, pleasantly surprised to be proven utterly wrong by the remainder of the game.  I was very impressed by the fact that CLU kept their composure, and made one key play after another in order to win the game.  Characteristic of the first game of the season, both sides made some mistakes they won't be making later in the year, but still a great way to start the season.

As noted, many of CLU's offensive weapons were impressive.  Mosier was amazing, and Eric Rogers is, as somebody already pointed out, going to be a lot to handle.  He made a great catch near the end of the first half that was almost the TD I thought the Kingsmen couldn't do without.  Should be fun to watch as the season plays out, lots of big games left, and we're gonna take em one at a time! (gratuitous cliche for OB's benefit)

Like all of you, I was disappointed with the postgame antics of those members of the Cal Lu faithful who took it upon themselves to verbally assault the Linfield players in the handshake line.  I had a sinking feeling when I saw them charge out there, and was sorry to have my fears confirmed on the board.  I am sure the CLU Admin will take the necessary steps to prevent that from happening in the future, and FWIW, I am truly sorry that was part of your CLU experience.

GHC- Also sorry to hear that you had to raise the octane level of the creek.  Have to say that K4 did provide fair warning, and when I was at Cal Lu, basic survival skills included disguising a Coors Party Ball as a basket of laundry.  I think it was a full year after graduation before I stopped hiding my beer behind my back when a new person walked into the room.  8-)

The transfer issue is an interesting one.  It seems like most of the historically successful D3 programs rely to one degree or another on skilled transfers (Elliott and Collins come to mind... :) ), whether they're kids returning to play because they miss the game, or kids that originally had aspirations of playing D1, and now would rather play for a successful D3 team.  I wish more players had the wisdom to realize that D3 is a great way to go right out of high school, but better late than never, I guess.  My only concerns would relate to large numbers of players coming in who were the right type of institutional fit, and in this case, I have confidence that the coaching staff is making sure they're bringing in the right kind of student athletes for CLU.

D O.C.

Good. No PLU banter so we'll keep reminiscing...

I became aware of just how many females were in attendance at Mt. Clef once the SoLutes started to take command. Every big play elicited a mountain of SCREAMS from the big grandstand. Loud echoing-off-the-letters-on-the-hill SCREAMS.

Since there was no pay stub necessary, what say you the crowd attendance was? I say about 1200, including the guys who stood in front of me every chance they got.

cawcdad

Quote from: D O.C. on September 16, 2010, 01:20:11 AM

I became aware of just how many females were in attendance at Mt. Clef once the SoLutes started to take command. Every big play elicited a mountain of SCREAMS from the big grandstand. Loud echoing-off-the-letters-on-the-hill SCREAMS.

Since there was no pay stub necessary, what say you the crowd attendance was? I say about 1200, including the guys who stood in front of me every chance they got.
Hey I kneeled down in front of you your honor. ;D

MonroviaCat

Quote from: cawcdad on September 16, 2010, 09:46:47 AM
Quote from: D O.C. on September 16, 2010, 01:20:11 AM

Hey I kneeled down in front of you your honor. ;D
And he moved when you complained about it---I witnessed that! :)
Go Cats!

D O.C.

I commanded him to move with, "Hey! I paid for this seat!"  I did too, $13.95 at Dick's.

I also was amused when the California Lutheran University faithful let go with the "Over rated!" chant to the 16 losses in 10 years opponent.

OxyBob

Quote from: D O.C. on September 16, 2010, 12:21:52 PM
I also was amused when the California Lutheran University faithful let go with the "Over rated!" chant to the 16 losses in 10 years opponent.

The "over-ra-ted" fan chant is one of the dumbest in all of sports. You're basically saying, "You're not even good enough to beat US!" If you must chant, then how about supporting your own team and chanting "Under-ra-ted!"

By any chance did the CLU doofuses include a guy with a yellow Piso Mojado safety cone that he used as a megaphone?

OxyBob

Pat Coleman

Quote from: OxyBob on September 16, 2010, 02:09:23 PM
The "over-ra-ted" fan chant is one of the dumbest in all of sports. You're basically saying, "You're not even good enough to beat US!"

I have heard this point before but never so eloquently. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OxyBob

Quote from: RFB on September 16, 2010, 11:30:57 AM
Dan Selway article.

Quote"Hey, don't worry about it," he said with a laugh. "I get plenty of 'Grandpa Selway' calls out there.

Quote"The old Scripture line, 'Iron sharpens iron,' is really appropriate," head coach Mike Maynard said.

If you're going to quote the Bible about Selway, then Genesis 21:5 is more appropriate:

QuoteAnd Abraham was a hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born to him.

OxyBob

Kingsmen4

Quote from: D O.C. on September 16, 2010, 12:21:52 PM
I commanded him to move with, "Hey! I paid for this seat!"  I did too, $13.95 at Dick's.

For that reason, it must have been fitting!!!  :D

D O.C.

Yeah - ya' got me. I read that later and thought, "That's not impressive."

2000 (9-1, 5-0 NWC)
2001 (7-2, 4-1 NWC)
2002 (10-1, 5-0 NWC)
2003 (11-1, 5-0 NWC)
2004 (13-0, 5-0 NWC)

2005 (10-1, 4-0 NWC)
2006 (6-3, 5-1 NWC)
2007 (6-3, 4-2 NWC)
2008 (6-3, 5-1 NWC)