Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Forgotten Man

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 27, 2008, 06:12:06 PM
I don't think La Grange has a chance if it loses to Huntingdon.

Does Huntingdon have a chance for Pool C if they beat Hampden-Sydney, but lose to LaGrange?
"The soldier, above all others, prays for peace, for it is he who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."
Douglas MacArthur, General, U.S. Army, (1880-1964)

Bob.Gregg

Quote from: The Forgotten Man on October 29, 2008, 09:31:35 AMDoes Huntingdon have a chance for Pool C if they beat Hampden-Sydney, but lose to LaGrange?

That's listed in the Pool C thread.  And, yes, Huntingdon would be among those considered for a Pool C bid.  Barring a significant collapse elsewhere, I wouldn't expect it to happen, but they would be on the radar screen at 9-1.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Hawks88

They have Huntingdon listed as 1-0 in region. I thought they had made a new rule to specifically make the conference games count as in region. Did we mis-read it or are they not following it?  ::)

wally_wabash

It may be that those games don't count as regional games while the SLIAC is still provisional.  Provisional might not be the right word...but until the SLIAC is eligible for an automatic bid is what I'm getting at. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

The Forgotten Man

So are they saying that only the game against Maryville counts as "in-region?" I guess that would be the same for LaGrange?

What is the significance of in-region games?

By the way, here is the ncaa site with regional rankings:  http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/master_rankings.html
"The soldier, above all others, prays for peace, for it is he who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."
Douglas MacArthur, General, U.S. Army, (1880-1964)

redswarm81

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 19, 2008, 01:47:21 PM
Pool B update for Week #7

1)  CWRU beat Ohio Wesleyan 35-7;  plays at Hiram next.

2a) Salisbury beat lake Erie 35-19; plays at Becker next.
2b) Wesley beat NNA 48-0; plays at Webber International.

3a) Huntingdon beat Blackburn 45-0;  plays at Westminster MO.
3b) LaGrange beat Westminster MO 37-20; plays at Principia.

On the radar...

Northwestern MN (6-1/6-1 in-region)  beat 35-14 St Scholastica; plays at MN-Morris.

Husson (5-2/5-0 in-region); Plays (in-region) Gallaudet next Saturday.
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 25, 2008, 10:47:52 PM
No change in Pool B.

Everybody won.  Next weekend, Salisbury hosts Wesley.

Hey Ralph!

CWRU -           6th       N Region
Huntingdon -    7th       S Region
Salisbury -       9th       S Region
Husson -         10th      E Region
Northwestern   8th       W Region

Whither Wesley,  LaGrange?  Does this development knock any apples off the cart?

--Norton
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

K-Mack

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 29, 2008, 02:35:16 PMRegional rankings released.
http://www.d3football.com/dailydose/category/regional-rankings/

Quote from: The Forgotten Man on October 29, 2008, 05:43:02 PMBy the way, here is the ncaa site with regional rankings:  http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/master_rankings.html

I don't think they look any better there than here  ;)

I guess the PDF is kinda fancy.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: redswarm81 on October 29, 2008, 05:43:52 PMHey Ralph!

Whither Wesley,  LaGrange?  Does this development knock any apples off the cart?

--Norton

Well I'm no Ralph, but I don't think this changes the path Wesley or LaGrange has to take to get there.

And while we might need to start taking Husson seriously at 5-0, 5-2, I can't imagine they'll get in over any of the one-loss teams. I don't think there's anything overwhelming about what they've done.

I do see a possible scenario where Wesley beats Salisbury and the Sea Gulls, if St. John Fisher, Wesley, Christopher Newport and Delaware Valley are all regionally ranked, get in with two losses.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

redswarm81

Quote from: K-Mack on October 29, 2008, 11:40:29 PM
Quote from: redswarm81 on October 29, 2008, 05:43:52 PMHey Ralph!

--Norton

Well I'm no Ralph, but I don't think this changes the path Wesley or LaGrange has to take to get there.

And while we might need to start taking Husson seriously at 5-0, 5-2, I can't imagine they'll get in over any of the one-loss teams. I don't think there's anything overwhelming about what they've done.

I do see a possible scenario where Wesley beats Salisbury and the Sea Gulls, if St. John Fisher, Wesley, Christopher Newport and Delaware Valley are all regionally ranked, get in with two losses.

My question was more along the lines of whether Wesley and LaGrange,  the unranked teams, will climb high enough in the rankings to secure Pool B bids over currently ranked Northwestern and Husson, if Wesley and LaGrange each win their respective showdown games.

Your Salisbury scenario is an interesting variation on the McMillan Paradox, if you're suggesting that a two-loss Salisbury might get in ahead of a one-loss Wesley with a head-to-head win v. Salisbury.

As for Husson's status as an unbeaten (they're 6-0 in-Division/in-Region, 6-2 overall), what have Trinity (TX) and W&J done that's more impressive than what Husson's done?  I can't shake the suspicion that Husson is being harmed by its non-Division III losses, when by my reading of the selection criteria, those should be ignored completely.

redswarm81

Quote from: Hawks88 on October 29, 2008, 03:10:41 PM
They have Huntingdon listed as 1-0 in region. I thought they had made a new rule to specifically make the conference games count as in region. Did we mis-read it or are they not following it?  ::)

That's another circle I can't square with the selection criteria:

QuoteIn order to be considered for selection for Pools B or C, an institution must play at least 50 percent of its competition against Division III in-region opponents.

If Huntingdon indeed has a 1-0 record in-region, they're ineligible for Pool B or C, it seems to me.  There are secondary effects, too.  If they're ineligible for Pool B or C, then their ranking excludes other playoff-eligible teams, who might otherwise affect other, playoff-eligible teams through the "record v. regionally ranked opponents" criterion, and the whole selection process is messed.

Hawks88

Nice point someone made in the Daily Dose about how they also forgot that Salisbury's loss to DelVal was in region and Salisbury is actually 2-1 instead of 2-0 as they are listed. Makes you wonder sometimes who is running these organizations. I've been in the middle of a discussion on an Alabama High School football posting board of how the association here screwed up the three way tiebreaker making it advantageous to some teams to actually lose their final game this week. At least we don't have to worry about that here. Crazy stuff, man.

Pat Coleman

Salisbury is actually 3-1, even.

See, here's the deal -- people make mistakes all the time about regional games when punching them into databases. Here at D3football.com, we handle just about every football game ourselves and most of the basketball games as well, and we know what's regional and what isn't. Also, our data is public, so not only are we constantly checking, so are the fans. So we make corrections, too -- we just make them in July and August and not in October.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Sorry, I was away from a computer for about a day and a half!

I think that the NCAA needs to re-evaluate the SLIAC issues.  That is legislation that will change in the "in-conference is in-region"thing being sport-by-sport to being uniform in the division.

Ralph Turner

Pool B teams are italicized in the Regional Rankings.

I see that the Pool B teams are coming off in this order as of today.

1)  CWRU
2)  Huntingdon
3)  Salisbury versus Northwestern MN.