BB: SUNYAC

Started by Ralph Turner, January 19, 2007, 02:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

This is the message board for the SUNYAC.  Thanks to John McGraw for compiling these homepages.

(Please send corrections to me, and I will forward them as needed.)

State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC)

Conference Webpage: http://www.sunyac.com/baseball

Cortland:   http://www.cortland.edu/athletics/baseball

Brockport: http://www.brockport.edu/~athletics/baseball

Oneontahttp://www.oneonta.edu/academics/athletics/baseball/bsbindex.html

Plattsburghhttp://web.plattsburgh.edu/athletics/cardathletics/baseball/

Oswegohttp://www.oswego.edu/athletics/teams/baseball/index.html

Fredonia: http://www.fredonia.edu/athletics/baseball

SUNYIT:   http://wildcats.sunyit.edu/baseball

New Paltz: http://athletics.newpaltz.edu/baseball

Ralph Turner

We are beginning to see a few fans from the SUNYAC.  Please post your messages on this board. Welcome!

John McGraw

BoomerIL

O.K., since it's Friday night and we're tired (nobody left at home except us empty nesters - boy do I hate that expression), I would like to know how the different conferences/leagues compare to one another.  U. of Rochester has some single games scheduled against Brockport, Cortland and Ithaca, and these teams are ranked fairly high on the D3 national rankings.

What prompts players to choose these particular schools?  Is is just for the caliber of baseball, or the financial aspect of things?  Is it location?  I know back here in the Chicago area, many kids don't want to leave their surrounding area, or should I say that the parents don't want them to far from home.

I know that there are several good teams, like RPI, in Rochesters conference that are pretty good as well.  How would you rank these school baseball teams to lets say, a D2 school?  We have several good teams in our area that are ranked, and knowing some of those players, I'm trying to figure-out why they are so good, since I don't see that much talent there.  Is that why some of the teams in our conference, and across New York considered weak?

A little information might help me understand the New York teams, and for that matter, how D3 baseball is perceived to be compared to D2, JUCO's, and NAIA players and teams.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

John McGraw

A lot of different things go into a kid choosing where he wants to play. It isn't just exclusive to New York. I think the main factors are 1) Does he feel comfortable there and 2) Does he like the coach?

Because, you don't want to go somewhere that you don't feel comfortable and don't fit in. When I visited Ithaca, I felt comfortable right away and realized that's where I wanted to go to school. When I visited a certain SUNY campus, which I won't name, I didn't feel comfortable there and felt like everyone thought they were better than me.

And with the coach, you're not going to choose to play for someone you don't like. You're basically paying to play baseball unless you have a financial need-based scholarship. And even then, you're still paying to go to school. If you like the coach, all the better. Say I visit school A, everything seems good there, but I'm not really a fan of the coach for whatever reason. I visit Cortland, meet Joe Brown, like him a lot and like the campus. Chances are, I'm going to consider going to Cortland.

And with the pay to go to school, that impacts your decision too. Some schools are just out of kids price ranges, even with the financial aid packages schools give out these days. A SUNY school may be more financially attractive than a private, especially with the stark difference in tuition costs.

There's also academics and what major people want to explore. Division III's aren't baseball factories so you're actually going to be using your degree after graduation. You hopefully want to go to the best school for your major. If you want to be an engineer, then you might consider RPI. If you want to be a baseball coach, Ithaca, Cortland or Brockport are all good options. And other schools are good for other things.

In the end, you want to pick the best school possible for your development, both as a person and as a baseball player. Sure,playing baseball is great in college, and when you graduate and don't go pro, you've got a solid education to fall back on. And those baseball experiences can always be translated over to life and where can you best prepare for life.

Jeez, I should work as an admissions conselor or something. How'd I end up as a baseball broadcaster LOL

Ralph Turner

Quote from: John McGraw on January 20, 2007, 12:02:56 AM

Jeez, I should work as an admissions conselor or something. How'd I end up as a baseball broadcaster LOL

It was the Big Bucks!  ;)

Bob Maxwell

Ralph,

Thanks for putting this together... it will be helpful when teams start putting up rosters so we can begin to see who lost what and who added what.  Rght now there are a few rosters up... Fredonia, Plattsburgh and New Paltz.

The liink to the Plattsburgh page is not accurate as it says there is an error... you can get to the page, just have to jump through a couple of hoops to do so.

Hopefullly this will stimulate some conversation about the SUNYAC...

Thanks...

Burghy

I came across a schedule for SUNY Plattsburgh baseball.  THey are still a young team.  Never know if they can get over the hump.

Sunday   March 11   Richard Stockton (2)   Cocoa, FL   9 a.m.
Monday   March 12   Gordon (2)   Cocoa, FL   4 p.m.
Tuesday   March 13   Bridgewater State (2)   Cocoa, FL   4 p.m.
Thursday   March 15   TBA (2)   Cocoa, FL   
Friday   March 16   Mt. St. Mary   Cocoa, FL   9 a.m.
Friday   March 16   TBA   Cocoa, FL   
Saturday   March 17   Medaille   Cocoa, FL   9 a.m.
Saturday   March 17   TBA      

Saturday   March 24   SUNY Purchase (2)   Purchase, NY   Noon
Wednesday   March 28   RPI   Troy, NY   3:30 p.m.

Saturday   March 31   New Paltz* (2)   Chip Cummings Field   Noon
Sunday   April 1   Oneonta* (2)   Oneonta, NY   Noon
Tuesday   April 3   Vermont   Burlington, VT   3 p.m.
Wednesday   April 4   Skidmore   Chip Cummings Field   3:30 p.m.
Saturday   April 7   SUNYIT* (2)   Utica, NY   Noon
Tuesday   April 10   St. Lawrence   Chip Cummings Field   4 p.m.
Wednesday   April 11   Lyndon State   Chip Cummings Field   3:30 p.m.
Saturday   April 14   Oswego* (2)   Chip Cummings Field   Noon
Sunday   April 15   Cortland* (2)   Chip Cummings Field   Noon
Tuesday   April 17   Clarkson (2)   Chip Cummings Field   2 p.m.
Saturday   April 21   Fredonia* (2)   Fredonia, NY   Noon
Sunday   April 22   Brockport* (2)   Brockport, NY   Noon
Wednesday   April 25   Middlebury   Middlebury, VT   4 p.m.
Saturday   April 28   St. Michael's (2)   Colchester, VT   1 p.m.

Wednesday   May 2   Castleton   Castleton, VT   3:30 p.m.

Bob Maxwell

Thanks Burgy and welcome to the boards...  are you a Plattsburgh fan?  Or just came across the schedule?

Bob Maxwell

All the schedules are up on the team pages except for Oswego...

Rosters can't be that far behind... Fredonia, Plattsburgh and New Paltz are up already.

So we can begin to analysis what we think will happen.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Bob Maxwell

SUNYAC Openers:

2/23   New Paltz @ St Mary's, MD (2006 record of 16-23)

2/24   Cortland @ Hampden-Sydney, VA (23-16

3/3     Brockport @ Arcadia, PA (27-14)

3/4     SUNYIT - Widener in Tampa, FL (25-13)

3/10   Oneonta - Wilkes in Cocoa Beach, Fl (19-14)

3/11   Plattsburgh - Richard Stockton in Cocoa Beach, FL (18-19)

3/12   Fredonia @ LaRoche, PA ((28-16)

Unknown - Oswego... Anyone have any information on Oswego?

Any predictions on new players, season results or predictions on final standings?

John McGraw

Cortland played Virginia Wesleyan in a snow-storm last year in late February.

Party time!

Predicted standings...

1) Cortland
2) Brockport
3) Plattsburgh
4) Oneonta
5) New Paltz
6) Oswego
7) Fredonia
8 ) SUNYIT

But my pick for league champion.....Buffalo State!

Buffalo State Baseball, undefeated in 2006 :)

hitforthecycle

Correction! if I'm not mistaken, Cortland played Christopher Newport in the snow last year and not Virginia Wesleyan and Dougher/Mattes combined on a 5 inning no-no in the snow.

Bob Maxwell

cycle,

Welcome to the SUNYAC board!  Look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Either way, Virginia Weslyan or Christopher Newport, it was a very cold day to play baseball...  Brockport's opener last year was played in 32 degrees, with 15 mph winds!  No snow, but it was COLD... but it warmed up to 39 the next day... 

:D

John McGraw

Jeez, no one likes my Buffalo State joke? Tough room.

Though, I'm writing this post in Rock Hill, South Carolina where Winthrop's baseball team is already playing and they're hosting a tournament this weekend. It's in the upper-40s here right now and should be in the 50s tomorrow.

How many inches of snow in New York?