MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearcat Press

On the Bearcat Hoop Facebook page, two new transfers have been announced: Rich Vasquez, a 6'5'' forward from Mesa CC in Arizona, and Travis Mitchell, a 6'3'' guard from DePauw (though originally from California).  This brings the size of this year's recruiting class to eight.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

(509)Rat

Whitworth unceremoniously announces what is, in my opinion, a great schedule

Whitworth 2012-2013 Schedule

St. Thomas and UMHB at home
Simpson and Hamline at home (not great teams but they're DIII opponents which isn't always an easy get on the NWC island)
@Occidental and Chapman with Redlands at home (more in region DIII games)

dahlby

Good SOS and diversified schedule for the Pirates. No wonder that year after year they are in the tourney. Look forward to hosting them in pre-conference play. I really enjoy seeing the NWC teams down here and on the web when we go up north.

playball

Question for all you guys, is it legal under NCAA guidelines to coach during the summer?  This circumstances were it was a ProAm league in Portland and the coach was giving tips and pointers from the stands to the players in his program.  I'm not naming names, I am just curious if this is allowable, which I don't think it is.

(509)Rat

2012-2013 incoming class

Whitworth finally made the new kids on campus public. Very diverse group and the rumors around the bball community is that Logie didn't really miss a beat, landing some real talent. It'll be interesting to see how this coaching staff develops an enormous center who is raw on the offensive side of the ball. Hayford and co. did a pretty good job of that with some kid named Felix. 7'0" don't mean much if you can't score around the basket...

madzillagd

TryMeTeam

Playball: 

I think you are right, the coaches are not allowed to coach during the off season.  But making comments from the stands is probably a gray area.  If they are on the bench coaching, that would be big offense.

I have seen the Concordia and LC coaches in the stands at prior ProAm games a few years ago, but they stayed away from the players except to say hi after the games.  They didn't say anything to the players during the game.

Anderson is a big loss.  How do you see Linfield this year?  Any good recruits coming in?

formercat

Zach Anderson graduated from Linfield so he could not play his final semester of basketball here because we do not have any graduate programs. I believe he has to wait until the second semester to play for EOU.

playball

Zach Anderson is a good basketball talent and good luck to him at EOU.  Will be interesting to see how he fits in with only one semester and all. 

As for Linfield this year I think they are going to be about normal.  Tough to gauge when Im not on campus anymore and further removed from the program.  However, knowing some of the now older guys (I feel old!) I think this team will have a lot of scrap in them.    If Battuik can repeat and increase his numbers from last year I think they are in most games towards the end.  Hopefully Hendrix and Pine play like they have shown in some open gyms during the summer.  I would love to see this crew of scrappers make a little noise!

TryMeTeam

Doesn't 2012-13 start tomorrow?  Very little on the teams for this year on this board and almost nothing from my OR schools.  Where is everyone?

Only Playball has given us anything to go on.  Sounds like same old, same old at Linfield; "crew of scrappers".  But they are young with only 3 seniors returning.  They lost big time last year; their 2 bigs, Lee and Anderson are gone, but Batiuk is back (he was very good early last year!) and only a sophomore.  They always seem to have a good big man, right Playball?

Fox lost Taylor to graduation, but has 3 of their top scorers back including AJ Grant who is going to be an impact player in this league.  No word on their website about anything other than their schedule.  A huge collapse out of the playoffs last year might leave a bad taste to motivate them.

Pacific is also without a word on their page.  They don't lose much (Beatty) and I heard a rumor they did well recruiting this year.  They will be good in a year or two, if not this year.  Give their coach 4 years to have all his own players, and watch out. 

LC only brought in 3 point/shooting guards.  The returners need to step up.  Replacing Taylor, Wells and Perconti with 3 freshman guards is a huge step down.  But they do return 3 starters, and Hollins and Pisapia are back as 5th year seniors.  And their bigs are no longer freshmen.  They appear down a notch to me.  Taylor was the leader for them, now who?

Willamette gets bigger, bringing in 6 between 6'3" and 6'6".  Not bad.  Now can they play and how soon?  They lose Mounts and Meehan (1st and 3rd on last year's scoring), so they have some holes to fill.  I like Coach  Ioane and look for good things, but not great.

Looks like parity to me in OR.

Someone do the WA schools.  Still looks like the league powers are to the northeast and north.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

playball

Quote from: TryMeTeam on October 14, 2012, 02:44:39 PM
Doesn't 2012-13 start tomorrow?  Very little on the teams for this year on this board and almost nothing from my OR schools.  Where is everyone?

Only Playball has given us anything to go on.  Sounds like same old, same old at Linfield; "crew of scrappers".  But they are young with only 3 seniors returning.  They lost big time last year; their 2 bigs, Lee and Anderson are gone, but Batiuk is back (he was very good early last year!) and only a sophomore.  They always seem to have a good big man, right Playball?

I've said this before, Batuik is good.  Will be better than I was when its all said and done.  As for losing a lot, yeah, ZA's scoring will be missed and David Lee's leadership and BIG inside presence also missed.  However, with some teams, there is addition through subtraction and I think this might hold true with this years Linfield team.  David Lee was a good leader and an awesome teammate, not selfish at all, and knew what needed to be done off and on the court to put the team in a spot to compete. (Which to be honest, wasn't a whole lot last year due to skill issues)  LEE will be missed for his contributions in this way.  While ZA's 20ppg will also need to be made up for, his contributions to the program as a whole will not be.  Attitude and other issues hopefully didnt filter down to the younger guys.

Also, sounds like a 6'9 kid is at Linfield this year.  Fairly raw but you can't teach height.

TryMeTeam

Good post Playball.  But don't sell yourself short.  Batuik may have more talent, but is seems like he checked out after a hot start last year.  You never did that, at least as far as my memory goes.  You were tough everynight!

Whitworth at 14?  Probably deserved at this point.  But they lost a lot last year.  Did they replace that talent?  Is this the year the rest of the league has a chance of catching them? 

Whitman in the "also receiving votes" category.  Are they 1 and 2 in everybody's/anybody's preseason rankings?

playball

Knowing Whitworth, they most likely did replace all the talent lost last year.  AND they probably didn't have to recruit to fill the voids.  Nate Montgomery went from nearly a nobody in our conference to All American in 2 years.  Talking with Riley and some other guys from up there, their gym is always open.  Those guys are always working on something to get better and they schedule their classes accordingly.  Im not saying other schools don't partake in this but the way Whitworth goes about their business is impressive.