FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R-MC Guy

Is there a chance R-MC could lose a conference game? Absolutely. We could get complacent and have a let down against Bridgewater. Historically, we struggle when we play E&H at their place. Ferrum runs the ball well, plays good defense, and this is the first time we have seen them. So, we don't really know how we match up. Finally, I don't care who is favored, you never know what is going to happen in The Game.

The thing about the ODAC is that all of the teams in the conference are closely enough matched that any team can beat any other team on any given day. A few turnovers, some dropped passes and a few missed tackles could cost us any game on our schedule.

Don't get me wrong. The Jackets are good. If we stay focused and work very hard, we could absolutely win our last four games, but is there a chance we could lose, you bet there is. We will face four good football teams. We need to play our best every time we step on the field.

jknezek

Quote from: rmc2016champs on October 19, 2018, 08:54:20 AM
Quote from: jknezek on October 19, 2018, 08:50:23 AM
Quote from: rmc2016champs on October 19, 2018, 08:04:58 AM
Any chance RMC doesn't win the ODAC this year? I have a hard time thinking they could lose a conference game the rest of the year.

I think they'll be hard pressed not to win. H-SC is still undefeated in conference. It's possible The Game might come down to two undefeated teams, at H-SC. I don't actually think that happens, but it could. And Ferrum is still out there. They have proven to be dangerous at times. But a loss to Ferrum, who already owns two conference losses, wouldn't necessarily cost the Jackets a title.

It's the YellowJackets conference to lose this year in my opinion.

HSC lost to Shenandoah

Did they? Huh. I'm really not paying attention this season. Well it wouldn't matter anyway if that was their only loss come the game. The tie breaker would be head to head. But a team that can't beat Shenandoah isn't likely to beat RMC this year. Like I said, it's the YellowJackets to lose.

+K for the correction.

Air Raid

Standings going into this week

RMC 3-0
W&L and HSC 2-1
Everyone else 1-2

4 games remain, and anything can happen as we get into the stretch run.  RMC record aside,  the teams seem to be having a Jekyll and Hyde type complex.  They all seem to play really well in parts of a game or even a whole game, and then have other games or quarters when they each look kind of terrible.   These last 4 games are going to be very important.  Having all three phases excel is going to be critical for these games and the playoffs.  RMC is definitely in the drivers seat, and I would be surprised if anyone can knock them off the top spot.

hasanova

Quote from: gridironsouthernboy on October 16, 2018, 10:54:24 AM
Agreed, that's what made my son's decision.
Say hello at either HSC tomorrow or vs W&L on the 27th.  I am usually at the Quaker Club tent and a lot of Guilford fans know me.  It would be great to meet you.

HSCTiger fan

Any chance RMC doesn't win the ODAC this year? I have a hard time thinking they could lose a conference game the rest of the year.

Is there a chance? Hell yes, there's definitely a chance.  I have a hard time thinking that anyone would think that any team in the ODAC would ever go undefeated. Especially with 4 games to play. An undefeated ODAC has only happened twice in last 10 seasons.

Comparing scores in the ODAC is useless. For example, in 2013 HSC lost to SU but RMC beat SU by 35,  GC beat RMC and HSC beat GC by 52. "The Game" was a classic 2 pt game that HSC won.

In 2014 HSC was steam rolling the conference with 3 games left and lost 2 of their next 3. RMC this year is no more highly regarded at this time in the season than HSC was that year.

In 2017 WL took it on the chin to BC. No one saw that coming. 

Certainly RMC is the favorite. But it's not even halfway through the season. The best team does not always win and in football there's always injuries. Your hard way of thinking can change thoughts in a second with a twisted ankle to a couple of key players.

Nice to see RMC fans coming out of the woodwork and finally joining in on some conversation on RMC and the ODAC.

Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

rmc2016champs

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 20, 2018, 06:02:33 AM

Is there a chance? Hell yes, there's definitely a chance.  I have a hard time thinking that anyone would think that any team in the ODAC would ever go undefeated. Especially with 4 games to play. An undefeated ODAC has only happened twice in last 10 seasons.

Comparing scores in the ODAC is useless. For example, in 2013 HSC lost to SU but RMC beat SU by 35,  GC beat RMC and HSC beat GC by 52. "The Game" was a classic 2 pt game that HSC won.

In 2014 HSC was steam rolling the conference with 3 games left and lost 2 of their next 3. RMC this year is no more highly regarded at this time in the season than HSC was that year.

Certainly RMC is the favorite. But it's not even halfway through the season. The best team does not always win and in football there's always injuries. Your hard way of thinking can change thoughts in a second with a twisted ankle to a couple of key players.

Nice to see RMC fans coming out of the woodwork and finally joining in on some conversation on RMC and the ODAC.

Not halfway through the season? This will be game 7

HSCTiger74

Quote from: rmc2016champs on October 20, 2018, 11:49:51 AM

Seven conference games per team, three played before today's games = not halfway through the season.
TANSTAAFL

Ralph Turner

Shucks, as an outsider, I thought that RMC-HSC game was half of the season!  LOL

rmc2016champs

10 games in a season bud

HSCTiger fan

There are 10 games. But there are only 7 ODAC games. They’ve played 3 of those so not even halfway through the season, bud. You asked “any chance RMC doesn’t win the ODAC”. 

Btw as I type this RMC and BC are tied 17 17 going into the 4th.

Now 24 17 BC in the 4th. Can they be beat? Ask BC.

Not exactly USA beating Russia but it’s now 31-24 BC. Do you believe in miracles? No!  RMC 44 to 41 in double OT. But I think BC made my point.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

CaliJacketDR

The ODAC is not a national powerhouse. It means that there are unlikely to be unblemished teams in conference play. Makes it more interesting (also more stress inducing).

BC played great football. No turnovers and bad penalties. They also showed how good they are in the LB Corp, as they managed to bottle up the run game for large stretches. Luckily RMC has the talent and ability to execute from behind, but it's a warning sign that there are no gimmes in this league.

y_jack_lok

A really exciting game in Ashland today. After trailing 17-3 at the half, BC started the second half on 21-0 run and were looking like they couldn't be stopped. Somehow the Jackets found a way to win it. The announcers called it a classic that will be talked about for a long time.

The two other completed ODAC games appear to have been great ones as well.

HSCTiger fan

GC HSC game was a great one. Both teams played well.  Right before halftime GC got a first down with about 5 seconds to play. Instead of spiking the ball GC ran out their FG kicker to attempt a FG before the half.  EVERYONE WATCHING THE GAME saw the clock at 0:00 BEFORE the ball was snapped.  Everyone but the back judge.   They awarded the Quakers 3 points!  It was the most ridiculous call I've ever seen.  The snap was a full second AFTER time expired.

All turned out well for the Tigers as Cobb was great, and Smith was unstoppable!  Smith went 30 for 214 rushing, 12 for 118 receiving and even went 1-1 for 9 yards passing.  Amazing day for Garnet and Gray!
Hampden Sydney College

rmc2016champs

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 20, 2018, 02:30:48 PM
There are 10 games. But there are only 7 ODAC games. They've played 3 of those so not even halfway through the season, bud. You asked "any chance RMC doesn't win the ODAC". 

Not exactly USA beating Russia but it's now 31-24 BC. Do you believe in miracles? No!  RMC 44 to 41 in double OT. But I think BC made my point.

5 in half of 10. That is halfway through the season, bud. Btw 5 is an interesting number because that's many years it's been since HSC has won "The Game" losing 4 straight. If HSC loses before The Game and RMC keeps winning the jackets could clinch during game 9 I hear

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: rmc2016champs on October 20, 2018, 05:36:40 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 20, 2018, 02:30:48 PM
There are 10 games. But there are only 7 ODAC games. They've played 3 of those so not even halfway through the season, bud. You asked "any chance RMC doesn't win the ODAC". 

Not exactly USA beating Russia but it's now 31-24 BC. Do you believe in miracles? No!  RMC 44 to 41 in double OT. But I think BC made my point.

5 in half of 10. That is halfway through the season, bud. Btw 5 is an interesting number because that's many years it's been since HSC has won "The Game" losing 4 straight. If HSC loses before The Game and RMC keeps winning the jackets could clinch during game 9 I hear

Here's you original post "Any chance RMC doesn't win the ODAC this year? I have a hard time thinking they could lose a conference game the rest of the year.".

I answered that question and so did BC today.  By the way we've never met so I doubt we are buds. Maybe we could be but right now we are not. They were less than half way through the conference schedule at 1:00 today.

Regardless they have 3 games left and the way they played in the second half today they'll be lucky to win anymore. They are far from a dynasty. But you're right. They could have a 9-1 season. They could also have a 6-4, 7-3, 8-2 season. What's your point?
Hampden Sydney College