BB: SCAC: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 04, 2006, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

108 Stitches

ILVBB,

Thanks for the note. Don't you think they could have found a better picture of Scannell? Come on D3 guys! I also find it hard to fathom why Andrew Waters was not mentioned somewhere in the list of players. I have not looked at any of the advanced statistics but a 0.423 OBP with 4BB the whole year is staggering to say the least. His BABIP must be through the roof. (I get that this is usually used for pitchers but his numbers are pretty crazy) Regardless congrats to all of the players mentioned. Well deserved.

Ron Boerger

Scannell had to be the CoTY, after all he only had one All-America player (and an honorable mention) with which to win the national championship on a 9-0 run in the NCAAs ;-)

Jim Dixon

Quote from: 108 Stitches on June 09, 2016, 07:10:19 PM
ILVBB,

Thanks for the note. Don't you think they could have found a better picture of Scannell? Come on D3 guys! I also find it hard to fathom why Andrew Waters was not mentioned somewhere in the list of players. I have not looked at any of the advanced statistics but a 0.423 OBP with 4BB the whole year is staggering to say the least. His BABIP must be through the roof. (I get that this is usually used for pitchers but his numbers are pretty crazy) Regardless congrats to all of the players mentioned. Well deserved.

A better photo will appear.  Just have to look in the archive.  Naming Scannell coach of the year sorta fell through the cracks and should have been done a week ago.

Ron Boerger

Coach Scannell today was named Skip Bertman National Coach of the Year by the College Baseball Hall of Fame.   It's the first time a D3 coach has received the honor. 

http://www.collegebaseballhall.org/news/article.jsp?content_id=187301106

Jim Dixon

108 Stitches

I haven't posted here on the SCAC ... well ... because... there has not been a lot to report on -  just yet.

At this point the SCAC teams look mediocre at best. Centenary's record on the surface looks impressive but when you see who they have played it is pretty hard to get excited about them... just yet. I watched some of the SWestern / Trinity games yesterday and while Trinity has some promising young pitchers, they are just that ...promising. Clearly this is a transition year for Trinity, loosing the complete team on the field is a daunting task and they look like it. Lots of errors and limited offense, however there are some really good looking freshmen so, while they still could win the SCAC, they should not be considered the favorite, first time in as long as I have followed them. Next year however... well that's next year.

Centenary on the surface looks strong, but lets see how they do when they play TLU, SWern, and Trinity.  TLU appears to be the best team in the league at this point as they have played some decent teams and seem to be competitive, even in games they lose. I would put them as the favorite for the SCAC at this point. Austin and Schreiner.. well their Austin and Schreiner, not much else to say other than I like the fact that Schreiner is travelling and getting some experience outside of Texas. Good for the program, players and coaches - great decision IMO.

At this point my guess the SCAC conference tournament seeding will finish up like:

TLU
Centenary
Trinity
SWestern

There is a ton of baseball to be played and while TLU looks the best so far, all four teams are well coached so between now and the conference tournament a lot can happen, and as we all know once the tournament starts anything can happen. I only see one team coming out of the SCAC to the Western Regionals.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on March 14, 2017, 01:03:29 PM
I haven't posted here on the SCAC ... well ... because... there has not been a lot to report on -  just yet.

At this point the SCAC teams look mediocre at best. Centenary's record on the surface looks impressive but when you see who they have played it is pretty hard to get excited about them... just yet. I watched some of the SWestern / Trinity games yesterday and while Trinity has some promising young pitchers, they are just that ...promising. Clearly this is a transition year for Trinity, loosing the complete team on the field is a daunting task and they look like it. Lots of errors and limited offense, however there are some really good looking freshmen so, while they still could win the SCAC, they should not be considered the favorite, first time in as long as I have followed them. Next year however... well that's next year.

Centenary on the surface looks strong, but lets see how they do when they play TLU, SWern, and Trinity.  TLU appears to be the best team in the league at this point as they have played some decent teams and seem to be competitive, even in games they lose. I would put them as the favorite for the SCAC at this point. Austin and Schreiner.. well their Austin and Schreiner, not much else to say other than I like the fact that Schreiner is travelling and getting some experience outside of Texas. Good for the program, players and coaches - great decision IMO.

At this point my guess the SCAC conference tournament seeding will finish up like:

TLU
Centenary
Trinity
SWestern

There is a ton of baseball to be played and while TLU looks the best so far, all four teams are well coached so between now and the conference tournament a lot can happen, and as we all know once the tournament starts anything can happen. I only see one team coming out of the SCAC to the Western Regionals.

This is an awful way to lose a ballgame.

https://twitter.com/SUPiratesBB/status/841477046245163009

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 14, 2017, 03:06:24 PM

This is an awful way to lose a ballgame.

https://twitter.com/SUPiratesBB/status/841477046245163009

Has to be in my top 3.  I think an extra inning wild pitch on the intentional walk is worse, and ending the game on an abandonment of first base was the worse.  Both ended seasons and must haunt the players even today.

108 Stitches

Jack....It's even worse than this.....bottom 9 the Trinity right fielder dropped an easily catchable fly ball that would have ended the game in regulation TU 7 SW 5, runs scores, tie runs goes to third, two pitches later ...wild pitch and game is tied.... I turned it off after this as I already knew what was going to happen. ::) ::)

Hey he is a freshmen and freshmen do stuff like that. I saw my son make the same exact play in a conference tournament as a freshmen...

I know he feels bad but he should have never been in that position in the first place. You can't win too many games making 5 errors.

Scannell will have them ready for the conf tournament but both Centenary and TLU have been knocked out by Trinity so many times they are going to be looking for blood against a weaker Trinity this year. 

tony_baldwin

SCAC Strength of Schedule (as of March 21)

D3baseball.com
71 Schreiner
81 Texas Lutheran
95 Southwestern
131 Centenary
173 Dallas
174 Trinity
289 Austin College

Massey
26 Schreiner
27 Texas Lutheran
31 Trinity
51 Southwestern
55 Dallas
140 Austin College
166 Centenary

Boyd's World
21 Schreiner
29 Trinity
34 Texas Lutheran
36 Dallas
60 Southwestern
103 Austin College
137 Centenary

108 Stitches

Somethings wrong with this data, too much variation between them.

Last night Centenary solidified its position as top team in SCAC with win over TT. Big test in 2-1/2 weeks with Centenary vs TLU series.

108 Stitches

Trinity players receive their championship rings. I apologize that there is not a direct link to the video so you have to scroll down to March 25 for the video. I would skip the intros and the ring handout but it is worth listening to Coach Scannell's talk about what it takes to field a championship team. Worth the time.   

https://www.facebook.com/TrinityUniversity/

108 Stitches

So the SCAC should start to get interesting beginning this weekend.

First Trinity beat TLU last night 3-2 in a non-league game at TLU. Trinity was coming off an "off" weekend where they got their CWS rings and only scrimmaged so they went with two pitchers and TLU was coming off a weekend series with Austin College so they went with "pitch by committee". Not a lot of hitting from both teams and it looked more like a tournament game.

Big weekend for Centenary as they come into Trinity. It will be interesting to see how Centenary handles a tough weekend series away and also if the Trinity squad is developing after playing about 1/2 of their schedule. Scannell has a way of getting his team ready for the second half, but I think Centenary will take 2 of 3. TLU should sweep Schreiner and SWern should take 2/3 from Dallas.

This will set up the big match-up for next week of TLU vs Centenary for likely the top seed in the conference tournament. Centenary really needs to lock the top seed up as they don't want to have to face Trinity in their first game.

108 Stitches

Well now the SCAC just got a little more interestnglyer...

Trinity beats Centenary 2-0 in opening game of the series sending a message that it is not how you play in the first half that matters, its how you play in the second half.

First time I have seen the new Trinity network webcast. Very nice. Why more college programs don't see that this is a Uuugh recruiting advantage is beyond me.

Nicely done TU announcers!