D2 or D3 basketball publication

Started by coachwilson55555, September 16, 2018, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachwilson55555

Do you guys know if there is any publication that covers and previews small college basketball?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

How did you find this page, by chance? Because it is run by an entity that covers and previews small college basketball - D3hoops.com.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

coachwilson55555

I'm sorry.  I mean any preview magazines like D1 has every year.

Gregory Sager

Street and Smith and DIII News do preseason polls. Neither publication can hold a candle to d3hoops.com in any category of coverage, including the accuracy of their preseason polls and the depth of their preseason preview coverage. Honestly, if your intention is to be well informed about D3 men's basketball, you can dispense with that magazine and that newsletter altogether. Everything that you need is on d3hoops.com and on d3boards.com's basketball pages.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: coachwilson55555 on September 17, 2018, 02:41:55 PM
I'm sorry.  I mean any preview magazines like D1 has every year.

Greg wraps up what I would have said in the previous post ... but I'll add, I don't find any one else has any information worth reading. I tend to read these boards and rely on my colleagues to get me what I need to be ready for the season.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

FCGrizzliesGrad

There is one for football, Kickoff. Maybe in the future we'll get Tipoff for basketball.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

WUPHF

Don't forget about Small College Hoops!

I was curious if they were still around and I checked.

Their website looks more or less like it did back when I first found it which I swear was 1998 but maybe not.

Interestingly, their Division III men's player of the year from last season was a third team D3Hoops.com All-American and their women's player of the year was on the second team.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 17, 2018, 03:35:33 PM
There is one for football, Kickoff. Maybe in the future we'll get Tipoff for basketball.

Yes. We've discussed it. To be blunt, it is far harder to put together a worthy Tipoff style entity when there are 850+ programs involved. Nothing against football, but they have about a quarter that number.

We would love to do it ... but there simply isn't the resources or the financial support to pull it off as of yet.

Quote from: WUPHF on September 17, 2018, 03:43:15 PM
Don't forget about Small College Hoops!

I was curious if they were still around and I checked.

Their website looks more or less like it did back when I first found it which I swear was 1998 but maybe not.

Interestingly, their Division III men's player of the year from last season was a third team D3Hoops.com All-American and their women's player of the year was on the second team.

Yes, they exist and we work and converse with them from time to time. They don't dabble in DIII as much as DII, NAIA, and the rest ... I think because we exist to be honest. They also make interesting decisions as you noted with their panel of people.

WUPHF

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 17, 2018, 04:27:11 PM
Yes, they exist and we work and converse with them from time to time. They don't dabble in DIII as much as DII, NAIA, and the rest ... I think because we exist to be honest. They also make interesting decisions as you noted with their panel of people.

This makes sense.

Also, thanks in advance for all that you do over the next basketball season.

smedindy

One thing that could hinder a Tipoff is the issue of no team 'really' knows who is returning or playing until practice starts,  along with stretched to the bone SIDs who have a full plate of fall sports going on now when the Tipoff stories would need to be in production.

Right now, most teams haven't posted rosters.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: smedindy on September 17, 2018, 05:32:39 PM
One thing that could hinder a Tipoff is the issue of no team 'really' knows who is returning or playing until practice starts,  along with stretched to the bone SIDs who have a full plate of fall sports going on now when the Tipoff stories would need to be in production.

Right now, most teams haven't posted rosters.

Well, football has found ways around this to some degree in terms of who is returning and such, but yes ... that is a challenge as well ... especially for, again, 850+ teams. The sheer numbers and such are hard to wrap your head around when trying to consider doing this. And we would hate to do it on a slimmed down scale, because we would only disappoint those looking for information.

Quote from: WUPHF on September 17, 2018, 04:59:01 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 17, 2018, 04:27:11 PM

This makes sense.

Also, thanks in advance for all that you do over the next basketball season.

Thanks. Kind of you to say. My goals for the season include me getting on top of a project I've had since last April ... and get it rolling in the next week.