Top 25 Discussion

Started by BigPoppa, March 11, 2013, 01:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Really surprised Whitewater was ranked so low. 15-3 team, very solid pre-conference schedule.

doodlesdad

Kean is 2-3 against the SCIAC this year, while Linfield is 1-1 with four games down here this weekend (three with Pomona-Pitzer, one with La Verne), Trinity (Texas) is 2-1 and George Fox is 3-3. All are ranked higher in the D3.com than SCIAC leader Cal Lutheran and No. 2 Pomona-Pitzer. Overall, the SCIAC is a solid 46-38-1 in nonconference play; take out the two dreadful bottom feeders (Claremont-Mudd-Scripss and Caltech), plus subpar Chapman and Whittier (all below .500), and the top five are 36-12-1. 8-)

Spence

Let me know when some of these teams play true road games against in-form teams from the north and east.

108 Stitches

Sorry to say Spence this usually happens in Appleton, and usually they lose.....

Spence

Quote from: 108 Stitches on April 11, 2013, 11:51:35 AM
Sorry to say Spence this usually happens in Appleton, and usually they lose.....

I don't think a SCIAC team has ever been to Appleton. Chapman did of course, but before they were in the SCIAC. Cal Lu and Laverne went to Salem, and there they did quite well. But that's been quite a while now. Maybe Cal Lu will have the stuff this year.

FWIW I expect some of these cross-country no-return-game arrangements will be harder to come by in the game-is-a-game era.

Bishopleftiesdad

I agree with Spence on this. Why would an east team travel across the country early in their season, play against teams in mid season form and let it ding them.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Spence on April 11, 2013, 12:04:45 PM
Quote from: 108 Stitches on April 11, 2013, 11:51:35 AM

I don't think a SCIAC team has ever been to Appleton. Chapman did of course, but before they were in the SCIAC. Cal Lu and Laverne went to Salem, and there they did quite well. But that's been quite a while now. Maybe Cal Lu will have the stuff this year.

FWIW I expect some of these cross-country no-return-game arrangements will be harder to come by in the game-is-a-game era.
Which has been one of my objections to the change in the rules, too.

Kean and Ithaca can go to Florida and play teams that are at the same stage of development.

The old arrangement would permit a coach to experiment with players and lineups against comparable talent and not suffer major consequences.  I think that the committees had a good handle on how to judge these games by secondary criteria.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: doodlesdad on April 11, 2013, 03:59:06 AM
Kean is 2-3 against the SCIAC this year, while Linfield is 1-1 with four games down here this weekend (three with Pomona-Pitzer, one with La Verne), Trinity (Texas) is 2-1 and George Fox is 3-3. All are ranked higher in the D3.com than SCIAC leader Cal Lutheran and No. 2 Pomona-Pitzer. Overall, the SCIAC is a solid 46-38-1 in nonconference play; take out the two dreadful bottom feeders (Claremont-Mudd-Scripss and Caltech), plus subpar Chapman and Whittier (all below .500), and the top five are 36-12-1. 8-)
We have seen the SCIAC in action against other region teams over the last decade.  They have not excelled against the outside competition.

Spence

And as if on cue, Linfield sweeps Pomona-Pitzer in dominant fashion.

wildcat11

Quote from: Spence on April 13, 2013, 09:20:15 PM
And as if on cue, Linfield sweeps Pomona-Pitzer in dominant fashion.

Smoked 'em.

Jack Parkman

I think this weekend shows how little Pomona has on the mound.  The only way I see the SCIAC getting 2 bids after this weekend is if CLU doesn't win the conference tournament.

Spence

To me it shows how good Linfield is. Long trip, 4 true road games in 4 days, all pretty solid wins assuming they don't let 12-0 get away.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Spence on April 14, 2013, 06:04:24 PM
To me it shows how good Linfield is. Long trip, 4 true road games in 4 days, all pretty solid wins assuming they don't let 12-0 get away.

Absolutely, was not at all taking anything away from Linfield as they have gone on the road and flat out destroyed Pomona and are in the process of destroying La Verne.  This shows how good the NWC is as well as that has been an extremely competitive conference this year.

Spence

1. Linfield
2. St. Thomas
3. UW-Whitewater
4. Cal Lutheran
5. Johns Hopkins
6. UW-Stevens Point
7. Kean
8. St. Scholastica
9. Webster
10. Southern Maine
11. Manchester
12. Illinois Wesleyan
13. Wartburg
14. Wheaton (Mass.)
15. UT-Tyler
16. Marietta
17. Cortland State
18. Ramapo
19. George Fox
20. Huntingdon
21. Salisbury
22. Millsaps
23. Augustana
24. Ithaca
25. Case Western Reserve

JohnnyU

I don't know if I think these are the BEST 50 teams in the country but I think they are 50 most likely to be selected for Pool C (or B) in order of most likely:

Team
Southern Maine
UW-Whitewater
St. Thomas
Johns Hopkins
Kean
Ithaca
Marietta
Ramapo
Illinois Wesleyan
Eastern Connecticut
St. Olaf