BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronko7

Does anyone want to take a shot at making a top 10 as far as the Pool B class of 2008.

Ralph Turner

Without having the benefit of the first Regional Rankings, these are whom I am following.  (I am hoping that we will get the Handbook this week to confirm that there are 6 Pool B bids in 2008.)

Solid Pool B contenders:

Chapman -- West Region
Salisbury --  South Region
Piedmont -- South Region
Rochester -- New York Region  Liberty League member
St Scholastica -- Midwest Region
Ithaca     -- New York Region

Last year, we had 2 Pool B teams earn a Pool C bid.  2007 Championships

I really don't see a team that I would consider on the "Pool C" bubble at this time.  Emory's season has not been as good as last season.

Bronko7

Isn't Rochester in the Liberty League that has a Pool A?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BRONKO7 on April 21, 2008, 12:20:52 PM
Isn't Rochester in the Liberty League that has a Pool A?
+1! and thanks!

Yes, and Rochester plays RPI this weekend in a four-game series.  Rochester must win 3 of 4 to win the Regular season.

(Rochester competes in the UAA in their Florida Spring Trip Tournament.)

Bronko7

Does that make Emory the 6th?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BRONKO7 on April 21, 2008, 01:34:31 PM
Does that make Emory the 6th?
In region record is only 22-9-1.  The Adrian Loss is in-region.  UDallas loss is not in-region.

That is borderline.

Bronko7

So who is on the outside looking in at a Pool B? I can't seem to find a 6th option better than Emory.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BRONKO7 on April 21, 2008, 03:00:38 PM
So who is on the outside looking in at a Pool B? I can't seem to find a 6th option better than Emory.
Rockford (NATHC) 19-9 overall/ 17-4 in region/ 15-1 in conference (Pool B).

Juniata Landmark Conference 21-9 overall/ 20-6 in-region

Those two teams seem to be in strong contention.

Bronko7

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 21, 2008, 05:52:42 PM
Quote from: BRONKO7 on April 21, 2008, 03:00:38 PM
Rockford (NATHC) 19-9 overall/ 17-4 in region/ 15-1 in conference (Pool B).

Juniata Landmark Conference 21-9 overall/ 20-6 in-region

Those two teams seem to be in strong contention.
I think that with Emory's schedule they have to be considered over these two, I don't think either has beat a ranked opponent. Also Rockford has two really tough series coming up with Augustana & Ill Wes. if they can pull 3 of 4 I will be a believer. As for Juniata they are a good squad but I cant see them sneaking in especially when lost a pair to another pool B contender in St. Scholastica.

OshDude

St. Scholastica's loss to Martin Luther takes off some of the luster and brings them back to the Pool B pack a bit. I still like CSS a lot as a Pool B, but a couple more hiccups like the Martin Luther one and all bets are off.

Jim Dixon

Four more possibilities:

Menlo at 23-11
Cal State East Bay at 19-11
Concordia (Ill) at 23-8
Mary Washington at 24-12

There seems to be a clear top 5 and looking for a 6th is the question.

WLCALUM83

Concordia-IL still has games against Edgewood and Carthage yet, before the NAthCon tournament. The Cougars can help themselves out some by winning out, IMHO.

Jim Dixon

Regionally ranked teams in the "B Pool" by in region winning %.  Note the absence of the following teams listed in the discussion thread: St. Scholastica, Juniata, Mary Washington, Wesley, Menlo.

I dont know yet where you might slip in any of these teams above.   I expect St. Scholastica might knock off Emory if the top six are those in best contention for a Pool B bid.

Salisbury
Ithaca
Chapman
Rockford
Piedmont
Emory
———–
Concordia (Ill.)
St Joseph (Broklyn)
St. John Fisher
Cal State East Bay

baseballroxmysox

We know that the Western Regional's are being played in Abilene - but does anyone know the dates when they will take place?   Or do we have to wait until the handbook comes out? 

Pat Coleman

The handbook is out but doesn't mention dates specific to each regional. I suspect it depends on whether they put six or eight at a site.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.