FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: wally world on April 11, 2014, 09:57:35 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on April 10, 2014, 11:15:53 AM
I haven't seen a composite week 1 schedule for 2014 yet, but I'm sure Wabash vs. Hampden-Sydney will be one of the marquee games of the week.  Both teams will certainly be ranked, you've got the individual wattage of the Nash Nance Experience™, and the game is happening in one of the top drawing stadiums in D-III.  And hey, welcome to week 1 football, Wabash!  It's about time, right? 

Probably a good bet for a mention in the Triple Take on 9/5.  :)

They gotta come up with a name for this game.....Sausage Bowl. Maybe get a title sponsor...."Just For Men" perhaps.

I think the teams are good enough and the game will be good enough that it can stand on its own without some kind of kitschy moniker. 

It's going to be a man's game for sure though.  Dammit.  I fell into the trap.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

ADL70

When it was first announced, I suggested Stag Bowl.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

jknezek

Quote from: ADL70 on April 11, 2014, 03:14:33 PM
When it was first announced, I suggested Stag Bowl.

Maybe Beef O Brady's will sponsor it instead of the annual bowl game in Tampa?

tigerfanalso

I think the preseason build up to the HSC vs. Wabash game will be huge. Not often do two ranked teams face off in the season opener, much less two all male schools.

BashDad

Nance is going to put a billion yards or get picked like 6 times.

That's my half-a-year-away analysis. You're welcome.

wally_wabash

Quote from: BashDad on April 15, 2014, 03:20:58 PM

Perhaps both. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

tigerfanalso

For sure, we'll find out on opening day how Nash will perform against the excellent defense of Wabash. I think the game @ Linfield probably prepared him for what he might see; big/ fast/ aggresive defense. I think this might turn into a defensive battle with the kicking game having something to do with the outcome. Rare that offenses play well in first game. Of course Wabash will have a huge home field advantage but again, the experience HSC had at Linfield might off set the home field advantage somewhat. It will be fun to watch and both teams will benefit from the experience. The loser will most likely be forced to win their conference to get into the playoffs. That is the risk you take playing a tough OOC schedule but I think its worth the risk. You can't place a value on playing a top program on their home field. That alone is worth the price/risk of playing this game.   

Pat Coleman

Quote from: wally_wabash on April 15, 2014, 03:24:51 PM
Quote from: BashDad on April 15, 2014, 03:20:58 PM

Perhaps both.

+1
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

With most of the schedules up, I thought take a peek at what the 2014 non-league games look like.  Here they are, all on Sept. 6:

Hampden-Sydney @ Wabash
Oberlin @ Brockport State
OWU @ Bluffton
Marietta @ Kenyon
Sewanee @ DePauw
Wooster @ W&J
Butler @ Witt
Thiel @ Allegheny
Hiram @ Westminster

Denison is missing and I can't find their game.  My best guess is that they are getting a return game at Piper-Deeds from Earlham, but I don't know for certain. 

Some good games in there.  Obviously H-SC/Wabash will have everybody's attention.  We'll get a chance to see if Wooster can hit the ground running in week 1.  OWU should be better than Bluffton, but they should have been way better than 5-5 last year and now they have some really important parts to replace.  Hiram and Allegheny are also getting into PAC games.  Hiram's game is winnable, Allegheny can try to get off on the right foot.  Kenyon ought to be able beat Marietta, right?  I think DePauw might actually start this season with something resembling a real offense and as such I think they'll be fine against Sewanee.  The only teams I see that are probably totally over their skis in week 1 are Witt (see Witt @ Butler, September 2013...now take Florence and Cunningham and Kirkman away and, yeah, that's about how that's gonna go) and Oberlin (Brockport State was 6-1 in the NJAC last year and probably have too much for the Yeomen this time around). 

Not a bad opening Saturday, really. 

Bishopleftiesdad

smedindy

Earlham's site has a 9/6 game against Denison in Richmond...

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite