FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XREDDRAGON77

Little nervous for my Dragons today. A few years ago they went to Fisher and lost to lackluster SJF team while blowing a 3 score lead. The past few weeks were nerve wracking to watch as the defense struggled against Mville and Alfred! Time to start firing on all cylinders again.
Taste It!

XREDDRAGON77

Another week and another win that was granted by the football gods, as I'm not convinced they earned this one!
Taste It!

UfanBill

Quote from: XREDDRAGON77 on October 26, 2019, 07:00:47 PM
Another week and another win that was granted by the football gods, as I'm not convinced they earned this one!

I watched the second half. Thank the special teams and Cole Burgess. A win's a win. My Union Dutchmen didn't exactly impress either.  I think the Dutchmen and the Dragons are on a collision course.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

XREDDRAGON77

One thing about Cortland's special teams play, is they have been consistently solid all season. Several blocked punts, including blocks with scoop and scores! Several long returns on KORs and Punt returns and pretty good coverage on their kicking teams. I believe today was the first missed FG of the season!  Great test coming up with Port. Half tempted to drive up to see it!
Taste It!

Ithaca798891

So, it's Cortland-Brockport for all the marbles.

To 77's point, as someone who came of age in the Mike Welch era, I love me some good special teams play. That's why I'm always a little amused at the "Team A won the stat battle!" when it ignores the roles special teams plays have in tilting those. Cortland has been able to shift games on special teams play, and that's been a big part of their success.

That said, this is the third straight week Cortland has looked like a mess defensively.

Morrisville: 6.6 YPP, 447 yards
Alfred: 5 YPP, 416 yards
St. John Fisher: 5.7 YPP, 494 yards

Brockport is a tough team to figure out. The passing game isn't the albatross it was the first two weeks of the season, but it's yet to really prove itself against a solid team. But this defense is so, so, so, so good. This was the first time in the last four games they gave up a meaningful touchdown, and Utica still got nothing going offensively. Zero running game, and just 14-of-39 passing with three INTs and three sacks.

I was pretty comfortable with picking the Red Dragons earlier in the year. But Brockport's offense has shown they are excellent with a lead and running the ball, and with the Alfred game as a blueprint I think they're going to make just enough plays to squeak this one out, 23-17.

XREDDRAGON77

This Cortland squad is definitely going to need to play the way they did earlier in the season!  Port is scoring points now and it's  given that they will find pay dirt at some point. How their offense compares to Alfred/Moville/ or Fisher I don't know! I thought they all had playmakers and ran solid schemes.  Cortland has struggled offensively at times these past few weeks and this will be the best defense they will see pending a trip to the playoffs. I'm not sure what to expect, but at least the CDogs have played in a few close games to mentally prepare for another close dogfight!  Special teams play might be the deciding factor!
Taste It!

Bartman

Quote from: Ithaca798891 on October 28, 2019, 10:23:16 AM
So, it's Cortland-Brockport for all the marbles.

To 77's point, as someone who came of age in the Mike Welch era, I love me some good special teams play. That's why I'm always a little amused at the "Team A won the stat battle!" when it ignores the roles special teams plays have in tilting those. Cortland has been able to shift games on special teams play, and that's been a big part of their success.

That said, this is the third straight week Cortland has looked like a mess defensively.

Morrisville: 6.6 YPP, 447 yards
Alfred: 5 YPP, 416 yards
St. John Fisher: 5.7 YPP, 494 yards

Brockport is a tough team to figure out. The passing game isn't the albatross it was the first two weeks of the season, but it's yet to really prove itself against a solid team. But this defense is so, so, so, so good. This was the first time in the last four games they gave up a meaningful touchdown, and Utica still got nothing going offensively. Zero running game, and just 14-of-39 passing with three INTs and three sacks.

I was pretty comfortable with picking the Red Dragons earlier in the year. But Brockport's offense has shown they are excellent with a lead and running the ball, and with the Alfred game as a blueprint I think they're going to make just enough plays to squeak this one out, 23-17.
This is a good analysis Bombers. I saw the Brockport defense week one against Hobart and although the score was 33-7, I knew Hobart was fortunate having caused 6 turnovers and giving the offense a bunch of short fields. I have been rooting for BPort because it helped Hobart's ranking, which is pretty much meaningless now at 5-2. I've watched Brockport progress on both sides of the ball, and Cortland regress in the last few weeks. I also think Brockport will pull this out by something similar,  like 28-21 and win the E8. I am secretly hoping for a Brockport-Ithaca playoff matchup....great story line with Germinerio playing his old team.

"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

XREDDRAGON77

Hoping the football gods smile upon the Red Dragons 1 more time this weekend! Bringing their A game would go a long way too! Obviously as a homer I would love to see an E8 title,  but a 9-0 v 9-0 Cortaca would be outstanding as both teams would have great resumes heading in!
Taste It!

Saxon73

The Saxons host the Utica Pioneers in their last scheduled home game.  It is likely that most posters on this board give Alfred the edge.  Having not lost on Merrill Field this year, it is in contrast to losses at Ithaca and Cortland.  With trips yet to go to Brockport and Fisher, it is a really tough away schedule.  Hopefully with perhaps one more loss in the worst case, under normal circumstances we can look forward to an ECAC game.

However with the possibilities of a mix of results possible including Brockport, Cortland, Ithaca and Union the NYS Bowl is a slim but actual possibility.  Without repeating any match up I guess it could only be Alfred and Union if the other three teams got into the playoffs.  If Union got into the playoffs also, would it come down to Alfred v Hobart?

I kind of would like to see an ECAC v Grove City or Wilkes from the declared list.  A Hobart game for the Saxons would be great but I am looking at the exposure for recruiting purposes.  Ithaca and Cortland have pulled off quite a good move with their Met Life game.
" No matter the differences, brilliance always finds a common ground."  -  Stephen Colbert

bports

Props to Brockport today after coming back from a 23-0 deficit for the W at Cortland. Cortland couldn't knock out the champ and it bit them. The Brockport D that was put in many bad situations in the 1st half was out of this world in the 2nd half. Over 3 years and counting since the last e8 loss for Brockport ! Pretty impressive. With the Alfred loss today that put Brockport in complete control of the e8. This team is very young and will only get better next year. Great game to watch with lots of drama and great plays
Great road W port !

XREDDRAGON77

This game makes me want to bury my head in the sand. Brockport earned it! Never quit and kept grinding! At least Ithaca lost so the Jug game could potentially be a Pool C play in game keeping some relevance to it!
Taste It!

Bartman

Congratulations to Brockport on a real gutsy win against Cortland. BPort has truly developed over the season since the opening loss against Hobart. Watching that first game I saw the potential that might develop if there was coaching and athlete patience to grow on the offensive side of the ball. The new young offensive line starters and Freddy June needed experience to complement a talented defense. The wide receivers have demonstrated talent and were fed well by Germinerio last year, but the team needed to transform to utilize these skills , and I think the comeback yesterday proved the transformation is almost complete. I would love to see a Brockport-Ithaca collision in the playoffs as BPort should continually improve each game especially  now that Union has shown the mortality of the Ithaca offense despite Germinerio's skills. I think Brockport will be quite motivated if the NCAA committee could set a path for this collision.
  I am also intrigued by the Metlife Cortica death match possibility for a Pool C berth. I think Ithaca has the edge in the game, but you never know how the big stage will impact these D3 athletes.It is possible that stars will fall and the everyman may rise to the occasion....a drama to unfold...gotta love it. 

"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

MRMIKESMITH

I usually never make this argument, but Cortland and/or Brockport not being rank, is confusing to say the least.

Ithaca798891

Cortland's OOC schedule was a joke. Their best win is over a 5-3 Alfred.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.