New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: d4_Pace on November 06, 2019, 07:04:01 AM
I think it would be ridiculous if middlbury gets into the tournament with 7 games. The point of sports is to win but they have played to not lose all year. If you win less than half your games you have no argument if things don't go your way. This team is certainly one of the top 5 most talented teams in New England but they chose to play the most negative soccer in the region and the record is the consequence. I hope they get punished for it and have to adjust moving forward.

This situation is similar to what Haverford may be facing down the stretch in the Mid-Atlantic. If the Fords lose the play in game or even tie they will be 9-6-3/9-5-4 having equal wins to blemishes. I just don't see how a team can stay ranked so high or even have a chance to get in with that kind of win percentage. Props to Middlebury for finding ways to not lose but I don't know if I have ever seen a team get into the tournament with an at-large bid with less than 9 wins. I have seen a few 9 win teams but 7 or 8 seems too low to D4pace's point. With that said, I think Middlebury is a strong side and only losing twice all year is impressive and a similar W-L-T as to Chicago but at least Chicago has gotten to double digit wins recently.  I am not sure how the committee will view it though.

Christan Shirk

NEW ENGLAND REGION - NCAA REGIONAL RANKINGS - November 06, 2019

Rank

School
. Div. III .
Record
. Div. III .
SOS

. R-v-R .
. Overall .
Record
. Prev. .
Rank
Amherst
14-0-2
4-0-2
14-0-2
Tufts
12-2-2
6-2-0
12-2-2
Connecticut College
10-3-3
3-3-3
10-3-3
Williams
8-3-5
4-3-2
8-3-5
WPI
11-2-4
1-1-3
11-2-4
Middlebury
7-2-7
1-2-4
7-2-7
Babson
12-5-2
2-5-1
12-5-2
Brandeis
9-5-4
1-4-1
9-5-4
Endicott
11-5-2
1-3-0
11-5-2
Bates
9-6-1
1-5-0
9-6-1
Eastern Connecticut
16-2-0
3-1-0
16-2-0
Keene State
13-6-0
0-3-0
13-6-0
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Mr.Right

Clark is holding on against WPI as it is 0-0 about 10 minutes left for the right to reach NEWMAC Final. WPI is probably in the NCAA's no matter what but Clark is already playing do or die here.

Mr.Right

WPI wins it with about 1 minute left. Is it just me or do they score a ton of late goals? Devastating loss for Clark and Munroe who is a skilled player. WPI just has more talent than Clark as the winner was a bullet from 25 yards off a broken play from a corner. Valagussa was the player who ripped it and looks to be a formidable player. WPI at Babson in the Final. I am thinking Babson is on the bubble unless they can get a Draw in this game.

ECSUalum

WCSU walked into a buzz saw at the Mansfield Sports Complex tonight, with not too much going right for them.  A 5-0 loss, with Sr Griffin Luczek getting 2, and goals from So. Will Toomey, and Pat Agyemang, (almost had another but was called off sides ??? ), and FY Ryan Sirois, all but one in the first half.  One of the best games I have seen by ECSU this year  with respect to possession , pressing the WCSU backs and finishing on a cold cold evening.  Keene State will have their hands full when they come to Mansfield on Sunday for the final after a 1-0 victory this evening, off an RIC own goal.

ECSUalum

ECSU does not survive the Keene St mugging and the ridiculous referee, (Cassio Ribeiro), for a 1-0 loss in the LEC final.  Patrick Agyemang and others dragged down all game and all this pathetic referee does is swallow his whistle.  There is a time to let the teams play but the Keene St "rugby" team was allowed to get away with murder. ??? ??? ???

Off Pitch

first round predictions for New England teams

Amherst 4 - Thomas 0
Keene St  1 - Ithica 0
Salve Regina 2 - Rowan 1
RPI  3 - Eastern Nazarene 0
Middlebury 2 - Johnson and Wales 0
Messiah 4 - Framingham St 0
Oneonta St 2 - Babson 1
Conn 3 - Catholic 2
Tufts 5 - SUNY Maritime 0
WPI  1 - Nazareth 0

Mr.Right

Quote from: ECSUalum on November 10, 2019, 02:08:37 PM
ECSU does not survive the Keene St mugging and the ridiculous referee, (Cassio Ribeiro), for a 1-0 loss in the LEC final.  Patrick Agyemang and others dragged down all game and all this pathetic referee does is swallow his whistle.  There is a time to let the teams play but the Keene St "rugby" team was allowed to get away with murder. ??? ??? ???

This is to bad ECSU...They deserve to be in the NCAA field this year but I am confident DeVito will fix his schedule to get some of the dead weight off of it that kept them out.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Off Pitch on November 13, 2019, 03:03:36 PM
first round predictions for New England teams

Amherst 4 - Thomas 0
Keene St  1 - Ithica 0
Salve Regina 2 - Rowan 1
RPI  3 - Eastern Nazarene 0
Middlebury 2 - Johnson and Wales 0
Messiah 4 - Framingham St 0
Oneonta St 2 - Babson 1
Conn 3 - Catholic 2
Tufts 5 - SUNY Maritime 0
WPI  1 - Nazareth 0

I agree I think Salve and Keene have a solid chance at upsets. I have no clue how Catholic plays but CC has not played in 2 weeks and will be very rusty me thinks

OldNed

St. Joe's of Maine released their schedule today: https://www.gomonks.com/sports/msoc/2020-21/schedule

I'm really pleased to see 2 NESCAC games on the schedule (Colby, Amherst) as well as WPI, Endicott, and Gordon as non conference games.  There are still a couple of fluffy local Maine games with Thomas and Southern Maine, but I think this is a step in the right direction for SJC.

blooter442

Quote from: OldNed on May 26, 2020, 02:23:05 PM
St. Joe's of Maine released their schedule today: https://www.gomonks.com/sports/msoc/2020-21/schedule

I'm really pleased to see 2 NESCAC games on the schedule (Colby, Amherst) as well as WPI, Endicott, and Gordon as non conference games.  There are still a couple of fluffy local Maine games with Thomas and Southern Maine, but I think this is a step in the right direction for SJC.

Great to see!

Another Mom

What is the liklihood of a fall season, though? Seems up in the air at this point to me.

Mr.Right

positive thinking from St.Joe's with a 2020 Fall schedule up on its website...I would give a Fall season about a 2% chance right now but I like the positivity of the program. BTW Amherst is on the schedule at Home midweek at 8:30pm. Odd start time but the site of Amherst on campus with all the possible grievances St.Joe's has had the past few seasons in the NCAA's will surely bring out the best in quality and focus from the St.Joe's players and will be a must watch game. Credit also to Amherst and Serpone for putting his boys right into the lions den to see how his players deal with it. Also on the schedule are two mid-weeks at WPI and hosting Colby at 7pm with the rest of the schedule a scattering of cupcakes and possible trap games.

OldNed

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 18, 2020, 08:15:57 AM
positive thinking from St.Joe's with a 2020 Fall schedule up on its website...I would give a Fall season about a 2% chance right now but I like the positivity of the program. BTW Amherst is on the schedule at Home midweek at 8:30pm. Odd start time but the site of Amherst on campus with all the possible grievances St.Joe's has had the past few seasons in the NCAA's will surely bring out the best in quality and focus from the St.Joe's players and will be a must watch game. Credit also to Amherst and Serpone for putting his boys right into the lions den to see how his players deal with it. Also on the schedule are two mid-weeks at WPI and hosting Colby at 7pm with the rest of the schedule a scattering of cupcakes and possible trap games.

Mr. Right, I hope you're actually wrong on your thoughts about the Fall season.  Can't say I really disagree, though, as there's still too much up in the air. 

I didn't pick up at first that Amherst was scheduled to be at SJC at 8:30 at night - that really is an odd timing for a mid-week game.  As for the rest of SJC's schedule, I agree there are too many cupcakes.  I'd like to see them get rid of the local games against Thomas and Southern ME and pick up some other good opponents, like Eastern CT, UMass-Boston, Clark, or other teams like that.

OldNed

Wow - it's been a while. I hope everyone is doing OK and I hope to see some D3 soccer before too long.  I no longer have a NE Soccer Journal subscription, but they just posted an article saying that Patrick Agyemang from Eastern Connecticut is transferring to Rhode Island.  Best of luck to him at Rhode Island and ECSU is definitely going to miss him.