W&L -- Coach Carousel

Started by FBALLISLIFE, March 16, 2024, 04:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FBALLISLIFE

Deserves its own thread, I think...

Hearing some shocking news out of Lexington that Singleton has resigned for family reasons. W&L will be looking to replace one of the best coaches in the country on short notice.

Kuiper

That is certainly a shocking rumor.  I'll keep an eye out for the official announcement.

The easiest solution would be to elevate Jon Freeman to the Head Coach position if he's interested.  He's had a decent amount of head coaching experience at a variety of levels and has been an assistant at W&L a long time.

Another Mom

Email went out to parents. He is leaving because his wife's job necessitated moving, and it was his turn to move for her career, since she moved to Virginia for his. He will be the new Head Coach of the Goucher women's team.

No news of an interim etc. Some big shoes to fill.

jknezek

Definitely a bummer. But that's life in D3. He's been amazing for the program and after 10 years I had hoped he was a lifer.

SierraFD3soccer

WTF!!! WOW! Great guy who took the program nationally!! It has to be huge for him to step away especially as much as he loves his guys. Not surprised overall though.  Not a great place for spouse who has earning potential. Only really two decent sized employers in Rockford Cty, W&L and VMI.

Maybe long time Asst. Jon Freeman can take over and continue the team's success. Freeman is more than just an asst. coach, more assoc or vice coach? He was there for most of the way and is not a recent grad asst. and has lead college programs in the past 20 years or so.  https://generalssports.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/coaches/jon-freeman/982 Plus Freeman's wife, Dana, is head women's track and field coach at W&L.

I doubt they can get a comparable coach to Singleton, but Freeman could continue many of the great things at W&L. Further, players already id'd probably know Freeman and he can maybe keep them interested. So big wait and see, but I think, at least for this year, W&L will continue its success.

SierraFD3soccer

Quote from: Another Mom on March 17, 2024, 05:56:10 PMEmail went out to parents. He is leaving because his wife's job necessitated moving, and it was his turn to move for her career, since she moved to Virginia for his. He will be the new Head Coach of the Goucher women's team.

Very sorry to hear! I'll dm you in a little.

Women's team, that will quite a change.  The Goucher women's team definitely has room to improve!! Interesting that there are not more Maryland players on the roster.  Lots, lots of talent around here. However, Singleton will not handcuffed by academics like at W&L.

Unfortunately, we will not be able watch any of his future matches as Pay-for-View Conference. See SimpleCoach.

Goucher is a small MD former women's college that has had men since 1986. Goucher appears to be under some financial strain. In 2018, it made headlines locally when it summarily eliminated 6 or more majors (among them music, mathematics, physics, and elementary and special education). Especially with such a high women population, the elimination of elementary/spec. ed. is head scratching.

Wishing him all the luck. Would say that I would try to watch some of his games, but nooooo says Landmark

SierraFD3soccer

Quote from: SierraFD3soccer on March 19, 2024, 11:17:16 AMWTF!!! WOW! Great guy who took the program nationally!! It has to be huge for him to step away especially as much as he loves his guys. Not surprised overall though.  Not a great place for spouse who has earning potential. Only really two decent sized employers in Rockford Cty, W&L and VMI.

Maybe long time Asst. Jon Freeman can take over and continue the team's success. Freeman is more than just an asst. coach, more assoc or vice coach? He was there for most of the way and is not a recent grad asst. and has lead college programs in the past 20 years or so.  https://generalssports.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/coaches/jon-freeman/982 Plus Freeman's wife, Dana, is head women's track and field coach at W&L.

I doubt they can get a comparable coach to Singleton, but Freeman could continue many of the great things at W&L. Further, players already id'd probably know Freeman and he can maybe keep them interested. So big wait and see, but I think, at least for this year, W&L will continue its success.

Um change #39
Quote from: Another Mom on March 17, 2024, 05:56:10 PMMike sent out an email to the W&L alumni Sunday night with the same info. He definitely regularly communicated to all of us over the years with videos and updates.  One thing he tried a couple of times was to link up his guys with job opp. and internships as well. I'm sure many responded. I know I did.
Email went out to parents. He is leaving because his wife's job necessitated moving, and it was his turn to move for her career, since she moved to Virginia for his. He will be the new Head Coach of the Goucher women's team.

Kuiper

Here is the official announcement of Singleton's appointment as Goucher Women's Soccer Coach.  It will be interesting to see how he does on the women's side.  There have been plenty of coaches who have successfully coached both men's and women's teams (and he has some asst experience on the women's side from a long time ago), but there are differences (and not just different recruiting pipelines/networks) just as there are differences between students at different schools.

https://athletics.goucher.edu/sports/wsoc/2023-24/releases/20240318odp52c

QuoteMarch 19, 2024

TOWSON, Md. - Michael Singleton, a decorated collegiate soccer coach who has been at the helm of the Washington and Lee men's program for the past 10 seasons and guided the Generals to eight straight NCAA tournaments and a pair of national semifinal appearances, has been named the next head coach of the Goucher College women's soccer program, Director of Athletics Dr. Andrew Wu announced on Tuesday.  Singleton, who is the eighth head coach in program history, will officially begin his duties on Monday, April 8.

"Coach Singleton is a uniquely qualified head coach and I'm thrilled that he is joining our team. His extraordinary competitive success speaks for itself and he's an incredible teacher with a focus on student development and sports psychology.," said Wu.  "Mike is a fantastic addition for the department and I'm excited for our student-athletes to get to work with him."

"I am extremely excited to join the Goucher staff to help the women's soccer team as the staff and players struck me as such passionate and motivated people. Seems we are all equally excited for a very bright future," said Singleton, who was also the head coach at MIT for three seasons (2011-13) and at St. Joseph's (Ind.) from 1997-99.  "When visiting Goucher I was impressed with the beautiful campus and caring nature of the leaders on campus. I look forward to contributing to the supportive culture they have built in any way I can. "

Named the head coach of the W&L men's program ahead of the 2014 season, Singleton compiled a record of 143-35-26 (.765) in 10 seasons in Lexington and guided the Generals to eight straight NCAA berths, including Division III semifinal appearances in 2021 and this past season (2023).  Washington and Lee reached the Round of 16 five times and the program boasted the NCAA Elite 90 winner at both of the Generals' national semifinal appearances.  W&L captured four Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) titles, the most recent in 2022, and Singleton coached a total of seven All-Americans.

The 2021 season was arguably the finest season in the program's history, as the team went 18-2-2 and made it to the national semifinals for the first time in program history. The Generals were ranked No. 1 in Division III by the United Soccer Coaches for most of the season.

Singleton also coached 31 All-Region and 70 All-ODAC selections at Washington and Lee, as well as six United Soccer Coaches Scholar All-America and 18 Scholar All-Region selections.  Six players were named ODAC Player of the Year, with two conference Rookies of the Year and two Scholar-Athletes of the Year.  Singleton is a five-time ODAC Coach of the Year and he and his staff earned United Soccer Coaches Regional Coaching Staff of the Year on three occasions.

Prior to W&L, Singleton spent three seasons at MIT, guiding the Engineers to a pair of NCAA berths and a NEWMAC championship in 2012.  Before his stint in Cambridge, he spent three seasons as the assistant women's soccer coach at Emerson College and was an assistant men's coach at the University of Delaware in 2001.  Singleton got his start in collegiate coaching at St Joseph's (Ind.) from 1997-99, serving as the head men's coach and assistant women's soccer coach for the Pumas.

Singleton also has extensive experience in youth and international soccer, serving as a technical committee member for the 2003 Women's World Cup and the 2005 men's CONCACAF Gold Cup.  He has been a member of the US Soccer National Team Staff, working at U14 National Team Camp as both a coach and psychologist.  Singleton was a member of the NCAA soccer rules committee from 2017-21, serving as chair in 2020.

A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, Singleton went on to earn his Master's in Clinical Psychology at Purdue University.

Kuiper

Here is the W&L story about Singleton's departure.  Nice touch that he will come back in May and coach the alumni team in the annual alumni game.

https://generalssports.com/news/2024/3/19/singleton-resigns-mens-soccer-post.aspx

QuoteLEXINGTON, Va. – Washington and Lee Michael F. Walsh Director of Athletics Jan Hathorn has announced that Michael Singleton has resigned as Head Men's Soccer Coach to accept the Head Women's Soccer Coach position at Goucher College.

"For the past ten years, Mike has worked intently to build our men's soccer team into a perennial conference, regional, and national contender," Hathorn stated. "His commitment to the players – academically, athletically, and personally – has been unwavering and the players' success in these critical areas of their development is evidence to that fact. Mike's impact has left an indelible mark on this program and we are grateful for the many ways he has made it what it is today."

"I really enjoyed my time here with these players," said Singleton. "This team and the program we have continued to build over the last decade is important to me."

The W&L men's soccer program flourished under Singleton's direction resulting in an overall record of 143-35-26 for a .765 winning percentage over his 10 seasons with the Blue and White. Additionally, the Generals went 73-10-10 in ODAC contests and the team produced four league championships. In addition to the four automatic qualifications, the Generals received four at-large bids for a total of eight NCAA tournament appearances over Singleton's W&L career, highlighted by a pair of NCAA semi-finalist teams in 2021 and 2023.

The 2021 season was arguably the finest season in program history, as the team went 18-2-2 and made it to the national semifinals for the first time in program history. The team was also ranked No. 1 in Division III by the United Soccer Coaches for most of the season and set the program record for goals scored in a season (70).

Over the past decade the Generals have collected 70 All-ODAC citations, 31 All-region honors and seven All-America accolades. During that span, W&L also received 10 major player awards from the league with six ODAC Player of the Year laurels and a pair of Rookie of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the Year awards. Coach Singleton and his staff were named United Soccer Coaches Regional Coaching Staff of the Year three times and he was a five-time recipient of the ODAC Coach of the Year title.

Academically, both of the program's all-time NCAA Division III Men's Soccer Elite 90 award winners have come during Singleton's tenure, plus two College Sports Communicators (formerly CoSIDA) Academic All-Americans, six United Soccer Coaches Scholar All-Americans and 18 United Soccer Coaches Scholar All-Region students.

"I want to thank Mike for all he has given to W&L during his tenure here," added Hathorn. "While it is difficult to imagine Generals men's soccer without him at the helm, we sincerely wish him and his family every good thing as they begin their new endeavors."

"I am proud of these young men – current and alumni – for all of their hard work and dedication to Generals soccer and of the accomplishments we have enjoyed together," continued Singleton. "I will continue to be one of their biggest supporters and keep cheering them on from afar."

Singleton will conclude his W&L teaching and coaching duties on April 7 and coach the alumni team on Saturday, May 4th at the programs' annual alumni game at 1 p.m.

A national search for a new head men's soccer coach will begin immediately.

SierraFD3soccer

Thanks Kuiper. All interesting and worth tracking! Having a masters in clinical psych. should help out a bit in my opinion.

Checked out the Goucher roster quickly and only has 7 MD players which seems very low. Lots and lots of decent MD players who want to play in college.  Maybe a good opportunity locally.

Ron Boerger

1100 undergrad students at Goucher - nearly as many graduate students - according to their facts page.  $240M endowment per NACUBO, $100M in long-term debt and a $7M operating loss per their audit/Form 990 ending June 30, 2022.

SierraFD3soccer

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 20, 2024, 10:24:45 AM1100 undergrad students at Goucher - nearly as many graduate students - according to their facts page.  $240M endowment per NACUBO, $100M in long-term debt and a $7M operating loss per their audit/Form 990 ending June 30, 2022.

Yeah, that's not great I believe. I am guessing he had to take a decent pay cut plus it is much, much more expensive area ( I live south of Balt.), but being in the Baltimore County area he may be able to make that and more with camps/coaching club teams. A lot of great programs/clubs in the area and he definitely has the experience. He also did a lot of youth coaching/organizing in Mass.