MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

P'bearfan.....just realized your post wrt to your patron Saint......being Patrick Stewart!   I'm a Trekie of sorts as well as a fan of the SiFi film...Dunes.  I actually wear around an old T-shirt with PS features on it!   Patrick Stewart was playing Othello at the Shakespere Theater in Downtown D.C., about the time my youngest son was getting married.  Wedding party was treated to tickets....T-shirt was a thank you present from my son.  Clever edition/format of the play...Patrick playing Orthello, the lead...with all the other players being Afro-American.

P'bearfan

QuoteP'bearfan.....just realized your post wrt to your patron Saint......being Patrick Stewart!   I'm a Trekie of sorts as well as a fan of the SiFi film...Dunes.  I actually wear around an old T-shirt with PS features on it!   Patrick Stewart was playing Othello at the Shakespere Theater in Downtown D.C., about the time my youngest son was getting married.  Wedding party was treated to tickets....T-shirt was a thank you present from my son.  Clever edition/format of the play...Patrick playing Orthello, the lead...with all the other players being Afro-American.

I've never seen him on stage - must have been quite a treat.  From the reviews I read that version of Othello was quite good.

He is simply put..."the man".

amh63

Had a conversation with a Longhorn fan tonight.  He remarked that The U. Of Texas just signed two new coaches that were " Strong and Smart".  The Strong was the Football coach and the Smart was the new HBC Smart...the former HBC of VCU in Richmond.  My friend also mentioned that Smart stated that he would only leave VCU for three schools....Texas, Wisconsin or Florida.  Me, I think the Texas money got him....the U.of Texas just "jumped over" Yale to become the school with the 2nd biggest Endownment in North American.
The coaching changes will quicken even more after the Final 4 games this weekend...is my thinking.
The WSJ even reported that if the top basketball programs were considered as a franchaise and given a money value/worth...the Kentucky Wildcats...really a Bobcat mascot like Bates...would NOT be the most valuable one in the State!  The Cardinals...that bird mascot again :)...of Louisville is No. 1.
I know...too much time on my hands and my bracket is busted.

madzillagd

We'll see how the Smart hire turns out.  Read this before he made the decision, writer definitely didn't hold back at all.   http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2015/04/canzano_shaka_smart_has_no_ide.html

amh63

Madzillagd....thanks for the follow up post on Smarts.  Accordingly to my friend, Smarts signed up prior to this past weekend.  Oh yes, see that your school is quite a tennis power!

Today's WSJ...normally a dull paper for non investor types like me on Monday....has a relative large sports related input.  There is over the normal one page presence and even an editorial...on March Madness!  Both half page stories relate to the Final 4 games and remind me of topics/humor/good writing and partisan bias reporting seen here on this board.
The first story relates to the two teams that have a game tonight...Wisconsin and Duke?  The particular topics are upperclassman stars/key contributors on the teams and the players need to have a number of years for development....vice today's top teams relying on young talented recruits to reach and win in the post season.  On the Duke side with three freshman starters, it was senior Cook that was featured.  Cook needed four years to "grow-up"...according to the writers...citing a Coach K meeting with Cook and his mother at the end of his Third year.  On the Wisconsin side, it is stated that the Badgers' coaches take pride in the Development of their players over the years.  The stars of the win over Kentucky did not develop until their Third year.  We often talk about the talent CAC school get but realize that the first several years are often needed to develop.  I think the star of Bowdoin this year is a good example.  In the case of Trinity's rise this year...I for one overlooked the talent the Bantains had recruited due to fact that a number of recruits dropped out of Trinity..went elsewhere.  Nescac1 was one of the posters here that was not "fooled" wrt to the remaing playerss

The second story by Jason Gay was to me a halarious recount of the Wisconsin win over the Wildcats....citing his bias reporting due to his being an alum of the U. Of Wisconsin...his needing a drink at halftime..he was in attendance at the game.  Humor...he wrote that Coach Ryan quotes more from the movie " Dumb and Dumber" during interviews as if it's "The Maltese Falcon."
Gay is not afraid to state that in the second half that "the refereeing got a little ridiculous".  One often gets criticized on this board when one post comments on the refs.  Gay won me over :).
My son in law is walking around bragging that his Bracket has Wisconsin in the Finals with Duke.
Me, my is busted....but I will pick the team in Red with the ridiculous uniforms...as writer Gay points out.

grabtherim

Quote from: madzillagd on April 06, 2015, 12:15:52 PM
We'll see how the Smart hire turns out.  Read this before he made the decision, writer definitely didn't hold back at all.   http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2015/04/canzano_shaka_smart_has_no_ide.html

Wow, the author sure has an ax to grind.  Even if he is half right, Smart better have a thick skin and a future job lined up.  I think it's tough to be the hoops coach at a football 1st, 2nd and 3rd school like Texas and Alabama.  Smart and Avery Johnson will have the chance to prove that theory wrong over the next few years. 

nescac1

Nice highlight video of Daniel Wohl's senior year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgx6m_eu8U8

Hoop4Life

Great highlight. It will be tough to fill Daniel Wohl's shoes next year. No disrespect, but I don't see anyone on the roster that can do that at the moment. Maybe someone will develop in the next couple of years.

nescac1

Williams is definitely short on long, athletic wings who can rebound, defend, and handle the ball ... really, the only guy on the returning roster with that skill set is Dan Aronowitz, and he's two inches shorter than Wohl and probably is not suited to play the four at his size, I'm sure he will stay at the small forward position.  Williams' only returning big bodies (Flynn, Sime and Hayes) will likely share the "5" in App's system, since none of those three guys have the perimeter skills you want to see in a 4-out-1-in style "4." 

But once the full picture of the Eph recruiting class becomes clear, I think the Ephs will have some options at Wohl's spot (already there is 6'6 Miye Oni, recently named Southern California player of the year in his classification, coming in, who like Wohl has the size and athletic ability to play up front on defense but also has perimeter skills as he can shoot threes and handle the ball).  I have a feeling a Oni and perhaps one or two other frosh will be competing to take Wohl's minutes at the 4 ... they can't be expected to match his production as a senior at the outset, of course, and it's going to be a steep learning curve for the entire roster next year as lots of young players who are still growing physically and as players will have big roles, especially up front. 

nescac1

Speaking of forwards on next year's roster, another official frontcourt recruit to Williams: "Congrats @j_heskett on officially signing with Williams College! One of the top academic colleges in all of America."

This refers to James Heskett, a 6'6 forward from Ohio.  He put up fairly modest stats his senior year, 10.8 ppg and 3.6 rpg, but it appears he missed a lot of time with injuries.  He did receive at least one D2 scholarship offer.  Like the three other Williams recruits announced to date, he appears to be a good three-point shooter, and it's clear that App is loading up on guys who have size but can also space the floor.  Hopefully he is another guy who can compete to fill the gaping hole at the 4 position. 

Like Oni, Heskett was 6'4 as a relatively little-used Junior and 6'6 as a Senior, so hopefully they are both still growing as players ...

lefrakenstein

Congrats  to Amherst assistant and member of the class of '08 Matt Goldsmith on being named head coach at TCNJ!

http://hoopdirt.com/diii-dirt-tcnj-to-hire-amherst-assistant/

amh63

Wow...that is big news!  Congrats to Matt.  Will miss his interviews with the football coach before games.  HBC Hixon has some "hiring" to do....does this mean Toomey will stay for another season?  The two assistants that departed recently...both alums and front court players...were fine recruiters, etc.  when you look at the players that will be available for the upcoming season.

booyakasha

Where's he going continental?

ContinentalDomer