MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

3 miles left in the marathon run, and the leader is now in sight   ;D

old ends

Ok!! As I stated before that today I would put together an All- Conference List.. It may not even look like the one the Coaches and SID put together...I looked at Stats and Past game day info from the Teams web pages. I also looked at the weekly releases from the conference...Position that they play did not have any bearing..

You may say no to all or add a few, but look it over and add your remarks and or players.

10 Players

Nick Shattuck              Ursinus
Dan Capkin                 Gettysburg
Tom Leszczynski          Dickinson
Ian McCormick             Swarthmore
Doug Polster               John Hopkins
Chris Prior                   McDaniel
Brandon Chasen           F & M
Remy Cousart             Ursinus
James McNally             F & M
Mike Bernardini            Muhlenberg

Look it over and have fun with it.

Leo

I think John Noonan from Ursinus deserves a mention/addition to the list. We all know that Shattuck will be POY. Remy Cousart is the point guard running the offense. While Cousart has done a good job, I think Noonan deserves a slight nod over Remy because John has elevated his play in many areas. 

2007 vs 2008

8.3          vs.   13.5  ppg
40.6%     vs.   44.9%   FG
33.0        vs.    37.4%   3 pt FG
76.3        vs.    80.6%    FT
26.6 mins   vs    28.8 mins/game

Moreover, his defense is also better this year.

Just a thought.

old ends

Leo:
Like I said, please give imput into this list. It is not any official list, just wnat to see how close all of use together get to the offical team from the Conference. After all you are running the marathon.
Quote from: old ends on February 09, 2008, 07:44:23 PM
Pick-em's for 02/13/08

Gettysburg          @  John Hopkins
Ursinus                @  F & M
Haverford            @  Washington
McDaniel              @  Dickinson
Muhlenberg         @  Swarthmore

The next 4 sets of games really start to set the playoff's Ursinus and Gettysburg are in. Hopkins, McDaniel, and Muhlenberg are in control of thier own playoff berth's, if they can win out. F & M and Dickinson must win out to get a shot.

F & M has Ursinus at home, Haverford away, Gettysburg at home, and Dickinson at home for what could be a playoff spot.
Dickinson has McDaniel at home, Ursinus at home, Muhlenberg at home, and F & M away.

Thoughts???

old ends

D.B. Cooper

On All-CC player thought list

Brandon Chasen (FM) isn't doing enough to even make HM. Others to be considered should be Chaz Thomas (HC) or Andrew Powers (GB), not sure who else should be dropped.

On another note the CC seems to be improving top to bottom. Next year should be very entertaining. The only teams that will probably not be as strong are SWAT (lose seniors including McCormick), McDaniel & Ursinus (they will miss Shattuck badly & will not likely be able to replace him). Ursinus won't be a shoo-in next year & could fall several pegs.

JHU, Gburg, DC & HC should be better. MC and F&M should be much better and some of these teams are already quite good. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Reserved Seat

2/13 Picks

Gettysburg--inside player strength so beat JH
F & M--GIANT upset-perfect season ended(sounds familiar)
Haverford--with little confidence
Dickinson--home team--fans should count for a few points
Muhlenberg--too much for Swarthmore

I agree with Suetonius about Brandon Chasen.  He's been too inconsistent for All-CC list.  He's had some great games and helped greatly when Hines and Scovill couldn't play.  McNally is a worthy choice. Baker is a future All-CC player.

D.B. Cooper

2/13 picks, and a challenging set it is.

JHU: home court in a toss-up
Ursinus: did think Dips might pull off upset but have recanted, but next year it could be different
Washington: Fords haven't done well on the road, Sho'men haven't done well at home
McDaniel: riskily picking road team in another crap shoot, ? no near-Bear upset hangover for Terror
Muhlenberg: SWAT often close but no cigar at home, am picking a Mule OT victory

old ends

Picks for 2/13/08

Gettysburg    will keep pressure up for the playoff's no let down now
Ursinus          I think they want to remain perfect in the conference for the number 1 seed.
Washington    Next
Dickinson       They need the win to keep in the hunt and move up the list
Muhlenberg    Must win to stay in the hunt-- can't let up

Will try to post results on Thursday and Saturday's games tomorrow. I will not be in wireless range for a few days. Will try toget to a computer with a land line. If unable all will be updated by mid day monday..

old ends

Update on Our All Conference Team

Quote from: old ends on February 10, 2008, 02:33:43 PM

10 Players

Nick Shattuck              Ursinus
Dan Capkin                 Gettysburg
Tom Leszczynski          Dickinson
Ian McCormick             Swarthmore
Doug Polster               John Hopkins
Chris Prior                   McDaniel
Chaz Thomaas            Haverford
John Noonan               Ursinus

James McNally             F & M
Mike Bernardini           Muhlenberg

Leo

Picks for 2/13:

Hopkins (this will be played like a playoff game and home court rules)
Ursinus  (F&M season will come to a bloody end)
Haverford (someone pull the fork out of Washington, they are done)
Dickinson  (this is their season game if they want to continue, and at home)
Muhlenberg

Leo

As for my final thoughts on the all CC team, I am recommending a strong (somewhat controversal) point:  Remy Cousart should be picked over Chaz Thomas.

Ursinus is having a surprising year, and I believe that 3 players are the reason for this and should be recognized on the all CC team: Shattuck (leadership and skill), Noonan (shooting and defense) and Cousart (point guard play).

CC is a guard driven league. If you have a good point guard running the offense, then your team will fair well. Having a good shooting guard like Chaz is nice to have, but he has had to be spectacular this season. Personally, I expected bigger things from Chaz, and even considered him as a potential POY. Chaz hasnot been spectacular. Haverford was picked #3 in the preseason poll, and I am sure they are the biggest disappointment this season at 3-11.

On the other hand, Cousart has run the Ursinus offense very well this year.  It was very difficult for him as a freshman last year to fill the shoes of McGarvey (POY). As a soph this year, he leads the league in assists per game. He is the quiet man on the team and does his job well.

Cousart should be an HM for the CC team.

Old Ends, I think you did a damn good job in selecting the top 10 players. I am just trying to tweek it a bit, and see how we all do.

diplomaniac1

Folks -

Tonight features a fairly difficult slate of games from which to make picks. Hopefully, the weather will not force any cancellations. However, the forecast doesn't look too good later this afternoon and early this evening for the games that will be played in Pennsylvania. It may be better for the games scheduled to take place in Maryland.

That being said, here are my best guesses albeit made without any degree of confidence:

McDaniel @ Dickinson:   McDaniel. Kline Center students were fairly quiet when F&M was there in late January. So, they might not be much of an advantage for the Red Devils. There is no question that the Devils need the win more than McDaniel. I'll take the Terror to make the Devils green with envy!

Ursinus @ Franklin And Marshall:   Ursinus. Hometown and Alma Mater loyalty only goes so far - no pick with the heart here. Golden Bears have too much for the Dips. Although, I would love the upset, but........

Haverford @ Washington:   Washington, but with no conviction. Fords are winless on the road. This may be their last legitmate chance to notch a road victory. I'll take the Shoremen to surprise Chaz and company.

Gettysburg @ Johns Hopkins:   Gettysburg. Toughest game of all to call! Although the Bullets have had alot of close calls lately, I just think that the Bullets appear have a slight edge on paper. Students are always quiet at Goldfarb! Jays will be really blue after this one!

Muhlenberg @ Swarthmore:   Muhlenberg. Team with weak road record vs. team with very weak overall record. Mules absolutely need win to stay in hunt for Conference Tournament. The Garnet don't appear deep enough around Ian to get the win, even if they are at home.

Well, there you have it! Hope the ice and snow isn't too bad were you folks are at. I probably won't make the trek (only slightly more than two hours) from Huntingdon County to Mayser Center tonight due to the weather outlook. Good luck to all. Regards,

Eric

r.w. mcnickels

2/13 picks:

Dickinson
Ursinus
Washington
Johns Hopkins
Muhlenberg

Quote from: Suetonius on February 12, 2008, 01:06:12 PM
On another note the CC seems to be improving top to bottom.

Suetonius, great point.  I think the "middle of the pack" teams are better than they've been in the past.  Most teams have talented youth, so I could see the CC being the strongest conference in the region next year if it's not already — although that isn't saying a whole lot!

Quote from: Leo on February 13, 2008, 06:30:38 AM
F&M season will come to a bloody end

Not the best week to inject blood into a sports argument. 

r.w. mcnickels

Just noticed that the regional rankings were released today.  I'm not sure the CC has ever had the top two ranked teams (possibly F&M and Hopkins in the '90s, but not sure about that).  If the Bears retain the top spot, they'd have a good argument to host a game or two in NCAAs.

Middle Atlantic Region

1. Ursinus 19-2 16-1 .526 .518
2. Gettysburg 17-3 15-2 .553 .521
3. Widener 17-4 14-3 .553 .524
4. Messiah 15-6 14-5 .650 .519
5. DeSales 17-4 14-3 .522 .507
6. Albright 14-5 14-4 .528 .544
7. York (Pa.) 16-6 16-5 .557 .506
8. Moravian 17-5 16-5 .462 .511