Can someone explain the playoffs for me?

Started by SpartanMom_2016, September 06, 2012, 10:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 19, 2012, 10:15:08 AM
I'm not comfortable with leaving undefeated teams out of the field because we've arbitrarily decided that going undefeated against their schedule didn't merit a playoff bid.  How do we know they aren't better than we think?  You never know when we'll leave out an undefeated "weak sister" that actually COULD have won a playoff game.

This is fairly well accepted across the board, and in this system, I don't think we'd ever see a 10-0 team get left out, no matter the quality of its schedule.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on October 23, 2012, 02:47:16 AM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 19, 2012, 10:15:08 AM
I'm not comfortable with leaving undefeated teams out of the field because we've arbitrarily decided that going undefeated against their schedule didn't merit a playoff bid.  How do we know they aren't better than we think?  You never know when we'll leave out an undefeated "weak sister" that actually COULD have won a playoff game.

This is fairly well accepted across the board, and in this system, I don't think we'd ever see a 10-0 team get left out, no matter the quality of its schedule.
I agree with the Guru's statement. We have read of too many interviews with Committee chairs (the people who were actually on the conference calls and in the "smoke-filled" rooms), and the impression that has been conveyed in those newsstories is that "undefeated is undefeated".

Were a Macalester to run the table 10-0, they would be the talk of the Monday morning podcasts during the last 3-4 weeks on the season.