MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: sac on October 20, 2019, 10:27:53 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on October 20, 2019, 11:53:18 AM
Who is the MIAA favorite this season, any thoughts? http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4097.msg1948474#msg1948474

I'm not sure there is one.  But I'd probably put Albion, Trine and Calvin in the same basket.   

Would like to see other rosters first.  Overall I expect another very tight league with little difference among teams and probably no top 25 caliber team again.

Sorry to hear that.  I LIKED playing Hope when they were ranked #1 in the country!  (2012 at Hope in the tourney; double OT.  One of the two best IWU games I've ever seen, along with beating Illinois State in the last game they ever played.)

HOPEful

To me it's Albion.

But I'd put Calvin, Trine, and Hope in the conversation as contenders.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 20, 2019, 10:51:44 PM
Quote from: sac on October 20, 2019, 10:27:53 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on October 20, 2019, 11:53:18 AM
Who is the MIAA favorite this season, any thoughts? http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4097.msg1948474#msg1948474

I'm not sure there is one.  But I'd probably put Albion, Trine and Calvin in the same basket.   

Would like to see other rosters first.  Overall I expect another very tight league with little difference among teams and probably no top 25 caliber team again.

Sorry to hear that.  I LIKED playing Hope when they were ranked #1 in the country!  (2012 at Hope in the tourney; double OT.  One of the two best IWU games I've ever seen, along with beating Illinois State in the last game they ever played.)
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

KnightSlappy

My gut tells me:

Albion will finish between 1st and 4th
Trine will finish between 1st and 4th
Calvin will finish between 1st and 5th
Hope will finish between 1st and 5th
Olivet will finish between 3rd and 8th
Alma will finish between 5th and 8th
Kalamazoo will finish between 5th and 8th
Adrian will finish between 6th and 8th

I'm working on my preseason computer rankings which don't take actual roster into account but looks at overall team quality for the last three seasons (most recent seasons weighted most heavily, plus a regression to the mean component). Here's where MIAA teams rank in the D3 landscape:

Hope (#102)
Trine (#125)
Calvin (#134)
Olivet (#176)
Albion (#189)
Alma (#231)
Adrian (#292)
Kalamazoo (#343)

Overall I have the league at #21 out of 43 (including independents).

Last year Trine was the best team in the league and was #82 in D3 in my end-of-season computer efficiency ratings.

Flying Dutch Fan

Albion Roster is up:

https://gobrits.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/roster

Seems they are usually one of the last rosters posted, but guessing it's early due to them playing MSU next Tuesday
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

sac

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on October 21, 2019, 01:52:34 PM
Albion Roster is up:

https://gobrits.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/roster

Seems they are usually one of the last rosters posted, but guessing it's early due to them playing MSU next Tuesday

Other than the four Fr. the 3 new names are Frank Felix, Jalen Ross and Justin McAbee.    Ross and McAbee were JV guys, Felix appears to be a rare CC transfer for Albion from Ancilla College, though it doesn't appear he played last season and limited minutes the previous year.

Will be interesting how Josh Palo fits into that guard heavy rotation.  Josh can really play.

I only hesitate on Albion as a favorite because they did lose 6 Sr's and didn't actually win the regular season last year.  Albion has typically been a program that relies heavily on its Sr's.  Only one regular Sr. contributor this year.  But there is some good talent in that program MJ Barnes is likely to have a breakout season I think.  Albion also lost half its 3-point shooting productivity and a decent but not irreplaceable chunk of its is scoring, what's returning were just 32% behind the arc.

Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 21, 2019, 11:39:58 AM
Hope will finish between 1st and 5th
Hope's floor and ceiling is probably lower, Kzoo's higher.

KnightSlappy

Calvin's roster appears to be mostly posted if one were to change the dates in the URL. I wouldn't take it as 100% official until all of the information is updated the the link is changed, but it's a full 15 guys.

https://calvinknights.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/roster

The big surprise would be no Forrest Bouyer, who I had pegged as the nominal backup at the point.

Bouyer, Derek Jay, Shae Sommers, Carson Meulenberg, Benji Kuiper, and Brandon Harrison would be the players eligible to return who are not listed.
Jay had been injured for most of his previous two seasons, we knew about Carson, and Sommers, Kuiper, and Harrison aren't altogether shocking to me given last year's playing time.

I think this roster would be the smallest Calvin team I can remember.

sac

Caleb Cleary related to anyone on our "neutral announcing" crew on WGVU?

sac

Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 22, 2019, 01:38:01 PM

I think this roster would be the smallest Calvin team I can remember.

That looks true overall, though I think the minutes will work out where Calvin still gets a lot of minutes from guys 6-5 or taller though.

oldknight

Calvin loses to Ferris 79-76 in an exhibition game in Big Rapids. Ferris led 42-34 at half but the Knights started the second 20 minutes on an 11-2 run to take a one-point lead. From there, it was a back-and-forth dogfight for most of the balance of the game. Calvin led 70-69 with six minutes left before the Bulldogs forced several TO's to pull into a lead. If there is such a thing as a good loss for Billy's Boys, this was it. Ferris announcers said if this proves to be a typical performance by Calvin, they will win a lot of games in the MIAA.

DeVries with 23, Szymanski 17, Bos 11 to lead Calvin.

maroonandgold

Quote from: oldknight on October 22, 2019, 08:51:08 PM
Calvin loses to Ferris 79-76 in an exhibition game in Big Rapids. Ferris led 42-34 at half but the Knights started the second 20 minutes on an 11-2 run to take a one-point lead. From there, it was a back-and-forth dogfight for most of the balance of the game. Calvin led 70-69 with six minutes left before the Bulldogs forced several TO's to pull into a lead. If there is such a thing as a good loss for Billy's Boys, this was it. Ferris announcers said if this proves to be a typical performance by Calvin, they will win a lot of games in the MIAA.

That was definitely closer than I would have expected.  Did you hear who else started  besides De Witt?  Was it Warner?  How did the rebounding numbers come out?

oldknight

Quote from: maroonandgold on October 22, 2019, 09:20:10 PM
Quote from: oldknight on October 22, 2019, 08:51:08 PM

That was definitely closer than I would have expected.  Did you hear who else started  besides De Witt?  Was it Warner?  How did the rebounding numbers come out?

If memory serves me well, starters were Szymanski, DeWitte, Warners, DeVries and Bos. 38-33 edge on the boards in favor of Ferris. Calvin lost the game on turnovers, committing 19, to 9 for Ferris.

KnightSlappy

Calvin leaned heavily on the starting five and only went eight deep. I bet all five starters played 30+ minutes. Isaac Davis, Sam LaDuke, and Nate Minderhoud came off the bench.

oldknight

Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 22, 2019, 10:42:11 PM
Calvin leaned heavily on the starting five and only went eight deep. I bet all five starters played 30+ minutes. Isaac Davis, Sam LaDuke, and Nate Minderhoud came off the bench.

Ferris announcer made mention late in the game that Coach Sall seem determined to force his key players to play while tired. I'm assuming Coach wants to set a pattern for the regular season.

HOPEful

Quote from: sac on October 22, 2019, 05:20:18 PM
Caleb Cleary related to anyone on our "neutral announcing" crew on WGVU?

Haha, love the quotation marks.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

maroonandgold

Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 22, 2019, 10:42:11 PM

The fact that the starters played so many minutes in a exhibition game really says a lot about the new coach and the makeup of this team.  Apparently there are not tall reserves who are ready for playing time at this point, and the new coach is going  to stick with his best players who give them the best chance to win even in an exhibition team.   I seem to remember previous exhibitions that were even extended just to look at more players.