Empire 8

Started by boobyhasgameyo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bear

I have been speaking of the New York version on undefeated season.  Fully aware of Bo Ryan's accomplishments at Platteville.

Alas I am an original, since age 12 irrevocable Bills fan.

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

Bear, I am an original Dolphins fan, I have liked them since I was about five or six.  I saw them on tv in the pre Shula days when George Wilson was the coach, they were playing the Jets in Miami and they had flipper in a pool in the end zone.  Flipper made me a Dolphin fan, they had a player you mentioned a few years ago back then, Cookie Gilchrist was on the team.

The Bear

I'm sure Cookie was an interesting character in 1960's miami.

Gregory Sager

I've never heard of anyone who thought of Cookie Gilchrist as anything but a Buffalo Bill ... unless they were a Toronto Argonauts fan.

To call Cookie "colorful" would be an understatement of vast proportions, as his ... er ... interesting http://www.cookiegilchrist.com" target=_top>personal website illustrates.

Here's a http://www.billsbackers.com/CookieGilchrist.htm" target=_top>somewhat saner take on the turbulent career of one Chester Canton Gilchrist.

Gordon "Marco Scutaro" Mann

Holy moly.  

There's some nuts in that cookie.  

Rimshot!

Bigdaddy

So...hartwick has a lot to say for his teams record....and I am still waiting to hear from Bulb on my last post.

fisheralum91

Checking this new board-

skifour3

St. John Fisher is ranked 5th in the D 3 News poll and Sean O'brien is Pre-season all-American. I'm guessing that is a pretty good honor but what is d3 news????

hawks1323

Folks, I would like to apologize for my overly aggressive, zealous, and sometimes antagonistic posts on this board. I have finally come to my senses that Hartwick Basketball isn't as good as I portray them to be. Hartwick Basketball has been hit hard by graduation and attrition. Hartwick Basketball will compete this season without two key veterans who have let the program and two key recruits who have left Hartwick (Due to homesickness). It is going to be a long year for Hartwick Basketball fans!

Please Accept My Apology, particulary those of you in Rochester (ie Fisher, Naz, Rit)!

gobombers15

Getting things started on the new E8 board. Here are my predictions for how the standings will play out. Obviously, this is subject to change:

8)Elmira-Lost their best player and were already one of the worst squads in the conference. Guys like Micah Owens are going to have to step it up if this team is going to do anything. Will probably beat one of the top four once at some point, but other than that this team will have trouble competing night in and night out.

7)Hartwick-Showed some very small signs of progress at the end of last year. Played Fisher close for a little while in their home gym. Greg Betancourt is a star in the making. Should have enough to overtake Elmira and get out of the E8 basement.

6)Utica-Justin Cichon returns for what seems like his 10th season with the Pioneers. If it weren't for Sean O'Brien, Cichon would likely be the pre-season POY. The loss of Tim Troy, the best rebounder in the conference and certainly the most orotund as well, will hurt the Pioneers. Teams will now be able to focus more attention on Cichon. Utica excelled in 2nd chance points with Troy down low, now that he is gone they have to find scoring in other places. Point guard Brian Collier looks to make the next step and become one of the best in the conference.

5)RIT- A team that loses four starters, including two of the best in the E8 in Kyle Goff and Sean Murphy. Jesse Foote is gone, as well, but expect Tim Bacon, who has seen significant playing time in the past, to fill that void well. The question here centers around who will pick up the scoring load, now that 40 points/game has moved on. Will Fran Snyder shake the injuries that hampered him last season? Who will play point guard now that Reggie Shore has moved on? A lot of questions on this team but McVean is a good coach and will tailor his style around the talent he has. Drew Martin is a top defender and, if Brian Hill can continue to improve, this team could sneak into the E8 tournament.

4)Nazareth-The biggest leap from last season. Joe Canori will assert himself as one of the top guards--and players--in the E8. Ryan McAdam will continue to improve, as will fellow sophomores Brian Ameneiros, Kyle Nelson and Tyler Smith who stepped up towards the end of the season. Nick Bozzelli should see some time in the frontcourt and will be one of the top freshmen in the league. Caswell Smith and Matt Groot provide dependable role players for the Golden Flyers. This team is probably a year away from challenging Fisher, but should come along nicely this year and make the E8 tournament.

3)Ithaca- A solid core returns for the Bombers. Jimmy Bellis is one of the best and most athletic players in the conference and will be the defensive focus for Ithaca opponents. Brian Andruskiewicz is one of the best low-post players in the league and should be primed for a big season; his numbers have improved in each of his first three seasons. Jon Whetstone has full reins on the point guard duties now that Nate Thomas has graduated. Sean Stahn has showed intriguing glimpses of potential and will step into a starting role at power forward in 2005.  Brad Clemente will have to fill the shoes, defensively, of departed Jesse Roth. Sophomore Brian Joe supplies a reliable long-distance threat off the bench. The Bombers hope one or two of their underclassmen will fill out their rotation and provide the team with adequate depth.

2)Alfred- This team returns every player from last year's team. Forward Dillon Stein and senior guard Quentin Bryant anchor the Saxons, offensively. Role players abound in Ryan Clemenson, Chris LeMasters and Ryan Hallett. Quality depth is present, as well, making this Saxons team a shoe-in for the E8 tournament. Alfred will test themselves early, traveling to Rochester for their first game to take on UR in the Yellow Jackets own tournament. Alfred will test themselves against SUNYAC opponents Geneseo, Cortland and defending champ Potsdam before getting into conference play.

1)Fisher-The Cards once again reload and should be the class of the league again, despite the departures of 2004-05 E8 Player of the Year Jeff Sidney and all-everything forward Nick Bennett. Sean O'Brien returns for #5 St.John Fisher, and should be pre-season POY. Raymie Auman returns after missing the majority of last season with an injury. Auman, a senior, was a starter before his injury, which paved the way for Jeff Sidney's huge senior campaign. Sharpshooter Mike McGee returns to provide the Cardinals with an outside threat, along with junior Dan Mueller. Justin Beigel leads a talented crop of sophomores and freshmen for the conference favorites. Junior Dan McSweeney returns to defend the lane. Expect the Cards to win the conference rather easily but another undefeated conference season may be out of the realm of possibility considering who they've lost and the gains made by other conference opponents. Rochesterians wish Fisher would take on Brockport this year, but Fisher has another soft pre-conference schedule, the lone exception being when the Cardinals travel to Virginia for the Randolph Macon tournament.

Others, feel free to chime in. This is just one person's opinion of how the season will shake out.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

GPT

Just for the record Bennet is coming back this year.He had one more year of eligibilty

John McGraw

Bennett from what I'm told did graduate but he's got eligibity left so he's taking graduate courses. Almost a Matt Leinhart-type scenario where you're taking one or two classes and getting to spend most of your time on athletics.

gobombers15

Are you sure about Bennett? He's not on the 2005-06 roster, unless they're going to pull a Willis Reed and run onto the court during warm-ups of their first game. Plus, they did all the Senior Night festivities last year and he was a part of that.

I thought he was leaving school a year early so he could start working and making money.

GPT

Positive he is coming back in the second semester

gobombers15

Interesting...makes Fisher even more of a strong favorite to win the conference. Not sure if they'll be undefeated again in the conference, but should be real close.