Rank the Mideast Region

Started by Spence, March 17, 2013, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DagarmanSpartan

Case just beat #23 Wooster again today to SWEEP the three game series, and beat JCU after that.

22-12 now with five games to go.

And to think that people here didn't even have us in their regional Top Ten.

I still hope that we'll win these last five games.

Dr. Acula

Case is definitely top 10 in the region.  Probably top 5 IMO.  However, I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in the JCU win.  They literally faced the JV pitchers.  3 of those 6 kids had never pitched a varsity inning.  It looks like most of them are freshmen.  It's hard to gauge when you're talking about anyone's 8th or 10th best pitcher or whatever. 

ADL70

CWRU was down to the bottom of its staff as well having played six games in four days.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

DagarmanSpartan

Our doubleheader Wednesday is against a mediocre 12-13 Oberlin team, and our best arms should be ready.

Marietta will be a lot tougher.

Let's hope that we can beat JCU at "The Jake" to close out the regular season.

At that point, it looks as if it'll be a "dice roll" to make the NCAAs.

DagarmanSpartan

We swept Oberlin with two lopsided victories today.

Let's finish strong and hope for an at large bid.

Dr. Acula

Looking at the top 25 isn't pretty for us currently, is it?  La Roche jumped in at 23 to save us from being shut out.  NCAC and OAC aren't even sniffing a top 25 team.  One would think we're in store for wild conference tournaments this year with the lack of a dominant team in either conference.

DagarmanSpartan

CWRU split wit Marietta today.

Hopefully we can finish with a win over JCU.

At that point, we'll have to roll the dice on making the NCAAs.

EttaFan1

The good things helping Case and Marietta are very strong SOS numbers.  Case with the toughest schedule in the country and Marietta with the 7th toughest.  Both have similar records as well--which is the "not so good"  (ie 12 losses). 

The (official) regional rankings will be very interesting. 

my guess is:

1.  La Roche.
2-?:  A bunch of who knows what that could include any of the following teams:  Thomas More, Rose Hulman, Adrian, Wooster, OWU, Marietta, Otterbein, Case Western, Denison, and probably a few others I couldn't even imagine.

The next few weeks will sort some things out.  Pool C Berth's will be very sparse this year, IMO. 

mideastfan2

Quote from: EttaFan1 on April 25, 2016, 08:05:43 AM
The good things helping Case and Marietta are very strong SOS numbers.  Case with the toughest schedule in the country and Marietta with the 7th toughest.  Both have similar records as well--which is the "not so good"  (ie 12 losses). 

If Marietta doesn't win the OAC tournament, then a slight positive is that they hold the edge over Case because they took the season series 2 games to 1.

If I were Case, I would be cheering for Marietta to win the Pool A bid out of the OAC.

ADL70

I'm cheering for no upsets in conference tourneys.

H2H will no doubt be significant, but CWRU has slightly better W/L and SOS.  RR I believe will be out Wednesday.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Pops33

Quote from: mideastfan2 on April 25, 2016, 12:54:30 PM
Quote from: EttaFan1 on April 25, 2016, 08:05:43 AM

If Marietta doesn't win the OAC tournament, then a slight positive is that they hold the edge over Case because they took the season series 2 games to 1.

If I were Case, I would be cheering for Marietta to win the Pool A bid out of the OAC.

If Marietta does not win the OAC conference tourney, they will have a minimum of 15 losses.  Even with their strength of schedule, it may be difficult to give them a bid with that many losses.  The only other OAC team in the discussion for an at-large bid would be Otterbein, but they may have to win out (other than the tournament).  That would give them a minimum of 9 losses.  With a weaker strength of schedule (currently 298th according to d3baseball.com), that may not be good enough.  Last year, Wooster finished 36-9 and did not receive a bid, with the apparent reason being strength of schedule.  I think the OAC only gets one team into regionals this year.

ADL70

CWRU bests JCU 6-1 at Progressive Field in season finale to get back to .667.  Spartans were serious, no token appearances by seniors today.

Pool C effectively shrank by one as PacLuth (24-16) pushed Whitworth (26-10 .520 SoS) into the pool by winning the NWC.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

DagarmanSpartan

ADL70,

So the regional rankings still aren't out?

DagarmanSpartan

Gang,

I just noticed that CWRU is now receiving votes in both the Collegiate Baseball and d3baseball.com polls.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3/ncbwad3baseballcom

Sure wish they'd put out the regional rankings.

ADL70

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on April 27, 2016, 04:45:45 PM
ADL70,

So the regional rankings still aren't out?

Thursday-- see playoff central on baseball home page.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO